PDA

View Full Version : What makes a boat "CUSTOM"?

Chico&Zeus
09-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Not trying to start any arguments here, but what does everyone consider a custom boat? Is it custom gel work and interiors, because besides that, all the molds for every model are production molds. Any boat in my opinion is a production boat unless it is a true one of a kind.

Jbb
09-21-2005, 09:44 AM
lol....sit back.....and watch this one.... :220v:

Nord
09-21-2005, 09:45 AM
When you pick the landscape of a boat that isn't "standard" when being built or take a already built boat and change more than the stereo and engine!
best explanation I can come up with and true!!!

atomickitn
09-21-2005, 09:46 AM
hey when does the show start? do i have time to get some snacks? :)

Tom Brown
09-21-2005, 09:46 AM
I customized my boat with a registration decal. :cool:

riverbound
09-21-2005, 09:48 AM
When I bought my bayliner...I had a "Bayliner Racing" sticker custom made and put it on my boat. I know they dont actually race but it looks cool. ;) Plus that must make it a "custom" boat now.

SummitKarl
You know if RD wasn't on vacation right now he would tell you :)
anybody got that "rant" on file?

Mrs. 4-B
We can always count on you, Tom. I'm getting me some popcorn! :rollside:

superdave013
09-21-2005, 09:51 AM
Not trying to start any arguments here, but what does everyone consider a custom boat? Is it custom gel work and interiors, because besides that, all the molds for every model are production molds. Any boat in my opinion is a production boat unless it is a true one of a kind.
I say mine is customized because I started with a blank hull and made pretty much every part for it right here. Engine is pretty one off too.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/9DSC01865.JPG
What was not made at my shop was made by forum member schiada96. I had some other "custom" stuff done at Prime Marine too. Pat's Fiberglass did some bottom work so mine is not just like another boat that came out of the same mold.
I'd post some update pics but I don't want anymore of my stuff getting knocked off! ;)

Powerquestboy
09-21-2005, 09:51 AM
I think people consider a boat custom when they have the option to design there own, gel coats insted of just picking from a few standard designs. Also the company must have someone talented enought to pull off your design. Not something Sea ray will let you do and I doubt they have many gel artists. That and the ability to build it with any engine/drive combo you can think of as well as the ability to pick out everything on the boat. Gauges, steering wheel, throttles etc.

atomickitn
09-21-2005, 09:52 AM
has the show started? can someone tell me im board! :idea:

superdave013
09-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Opps, can't leave out Steve Yorder as he has done a fantastic job tig welding some stuff for me. Thanks again Steve!

Man-de-lone
09-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Well that is a pretty narrow definition. I think only that Maharaja Aluminum boat meets those specs....

Jbb
09-21-2005, 09:54 AM
I customized my boat with a registration decal. :cool:
You are a disgrace ...Brown... :p
<embed src="http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/animal_house/disgrace.wav" autostart="true" loop="true1" width="0" height="0"></embed>

Tom Brown
09-21-2005, 09:56 AM
I've never heard it said more artfully than this.
I just love it when some person posts on here and literally says with a straight face.. That's a nice boat but you can get this one for 35K less and it's the same dealio.. Are you for real? About the only thing that holds true in the boating world is you get what you pay for. There's an exception to the rule every now and again, but for all you pudwhackers that have said that.. You have no clue.. You my friend are part of the problem. You mind as well have gone out and financed a bayliner becuase while what your driving may not look like one, the construction is probably similar. Ya bunch of chopper gun driving, woodscrew using, non through bolting, rats nest wiring having, got the same parts on your shit as everyone else, "custom" boat owner.
RD

ROZ
09-21-2005, 09:58 AM
So what ou really want to know is the definition of a ***boat ? :D

superdave013
09-21-2005, 09:58 AM
I agree Tom, classic RD right there! :D

Sleek-Jet
09-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Pudwhackers.... :D :D :D

Chico&Zeus
09-21-2005, 10:04 AM
So far, I am getting the "design possibilities" as far a options, gel, interior, rigging, etc... and the "assembly quality"..........but do these make that boat custom? For example, every Magic or Sleek, or any other boat for that matter is a standard boat that is reproduced over and over, you pull up to the sandbar and they are the same, damn boat. I just didn't ever consider that "CUSTOM".

MR HARLEY
09-21-2005, 10:06 AM
Any boat in my opinion is a production boat unless it is a true one of a kind.
My new Boat being built is far from a Production boat , and for the moment is actually one of a kind . Custom you say ? My boat has it in its name :D

Jordy
09-21-2005, 10:09 AM
they are the same, damn boat.
It's kind of hard to be in the boat business if you're going to tool a mold for a boat, make one, destroy the mold and start over tooling a new plug and building a new mold from that one so there arent' any others like it. :)
This has been discussed time and time again. You can search and find pages about what makes a boat custom. Not everyone will agree. How about custom car shows?? What makes a car custom?? There are only so many manufacturers and so many models of cars out there. Would only a one off, never produced, concept car be considered the only real custom??? Most hot rods are based on an existing body, so they're out. ;)

Chico&Zeus
09-21-2005, 10:10 AM
If you buy a Model home and just change the interior, it's still a model home, if you build a custom home it's unlike any other, every dimension is custom....sounds to me like you are just "Dressing Up" a bare bones model.

Jbb
09-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Mines custom cause the color scheme has pink in it... :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DSCF0161.JPG

MR HARLEY
09-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Now thats Custom :cool:

Chico&Zeus
09-21-2005, 10:13 AM
I never said better or worse, I just was asking for a clear definition....relax man.

1stepcloser
09-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Chico & Zeus = TROLL

Jordy
09-21-2005, 10:15 AM
If you buy a Model home and just change the interior, it's still a model home, if you build a custom home it's unlike any other, every dimension is custom....sounds to me like you are just "Dressing Up" a bare bones model.
So you never did answer my question. Are you suggesting that every boat that leaves a factory should have a bottom and deck unlike any other boat to ever leave the shop to be considered custom???

superdave013
09-21-2005, 10:17 AM
So far, I am getting the "design possibilities" as far a options, gel, interior, rigging, etc... and the "assembly quality"..........but do these make that boat custom? For example, every Magic or Sleek, or any other boat for that matter is a standard boat that is reproduced over and over, you pull up to the sandbar and they are the same, damn boat. I just didn't ever consider that "CUSTOM".
did you not read my post?
Just because the shape is the same does not mean it's the same. Lifting strakes, rocker and all that make it custom even though some drunk at some sand bar can't see any of it.
Now I have a question for you. What makes a custom car?

Jordy
09-21-2005, 10:18 AM
What makes a custom car?
I asked the same question on the last page and haven't gotten a response either. :(

ROZ
09-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Can't compare them, but you can customize your track house after it's built...
Ask bayliner if they'll customize your gelcoat and motors...
Ask Koffman and Broad if they'll change the type of stucco, insulation, and size of gas meter and electical panel on one of their track houses during the building stage...

Chico&Zeus
09-21-2005, 10:22 AM
I have a Campion Chase, but am looking at a 34' Magic Cat....I plan to buy a custom boat, and love all the options available to me, I just was wondering what was the defining factors....and to answer Jordy, I have mixed feelings about that....I know what you are saying about custom cars etc...but then I look at custom Choppers....they usually are built one of a kind from the frame up....not the same frame over and over with different parts bolted on. I know it's not cost effective and the Reserch and Development for a different hull for every boat would be obsene, I just was stating that those boats are reproduced time and time again which I personally don't consider Custom.

MR HARLEY
09-21-2005, 10:23 AM
I have a Campion Chase, but am looking at a 34' Magic Cat....I plan to buy a custom boat, and love all the options available to me, I just was wondering what was the defining factors....and to answer Jordy, I have mixed feelings about that....I know what you are saying about custom cars etc...but then I look at custom Choppers....they usually are built one of a kind from the frame up....not the same frame over and over with different parts bolted on. I know it's not cost effective and the Reserch and Development for a different hull for every boat would be obsene, I just was stating that those boats are reproduced time and time again which I personally don't consider Custom.
Give Dave A Call down at DCBRACING.com....Custom you want ?

atomickitn
09-21-2005, 10:24 AM
then save your self 40k and buy a bayliner :)

Jordy
09-21-2005, 10:28 AM
but then I look at custom Choppers....they usually are built one of a kind from the frame up....not the same frame over and over with different parts bolted on.
You're joking right??? 99% of the bikes out there are exactly that, a pre-fab frame with different parts bolted to it. OCC buys their frames and bolts parts to them. You consider them custom? Sure the rise and rake might be a little different but they buy all their parts pre-made and might change little things here and there. You don't see them building their own tanks or rolling thier own fenders.

SummitKarl
09-21-2005, 10:29 AM
It's kind of hard to be in the boat business if you're going to tool a mold for a boat, make one, destroy the mold and start over tooling a new plug and building a new mold from that one so there arent' any others like it. :)
This has been discussed time and time again. You can search and find pages about what makes a boat custom. Not everyone will agree. How about custom car shows?? What makes a car custom?? There are only so many manufacturers and so many models of cars out there. Would only a one off, never produced, concept car be considered the only real custom??? Most hot rods are based on an existing body, so they're out. ;)
Jordy would you come to my car show and repeat this on the PA system :D
and don't forget to add some coments about Harleys that would be very helpfull :D

Sleek-Jet
09-21-2005, 10:30 AM
I asked the same question on the last page and haven't gotten a response either. :(
13" wire Daytonas.... vato... :D

Jordy
09-21-2005, 10:31 AM
Jordy would you come to my car show and repeat this on the PA system :D
and don't forget to add some coments about Harleys that would be very helpfull :D
Those are questions for the "custom" critic here as we're defining what is custom. You might have missed that part Karl. :D

Dave C
09-21-2005, 10:34 AM
uh oh... too late. you better duck and cover ..
:p
Not trying to start any arguments here, .

Dave C
09-21-2005, 10:37 AM
don't be such a color snob... its all pink in the middle.... :p
<embed src="http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/animal_house/disgrace.wav" autostart="true" loop="true1" width="0" height="0"></embed>

Wonderboy
09-21-2005, 10:40 AM
You need to stick with wakeboard boats. Did you design the stickers on your Champion?

lucky
09-21-2005, 10:42 AM
duhhhhh .... the price
take your chopped glass gayliner and compare quality with my hand laid howard from 1978 and you can tell me :idea:

Jordy
09-21-2005, 10:46 AM
You need to stick with wakeboard boats. Did you design the stickers on your Champion?
C'mon now, it's a Campion. And just look:
http://images.traderonline.com/img/6/dealer/1493621/79913191_1.jpg
The wheels on the trailer are custom, as are the side pipes and the ladder onto the custom swim deck. I found this one on boattrader.com and make no representation of it being C&Z's boat. Just pointing out the custom features. :D

Wonderboy
09-21-2005, 10:52 AM
C'mon now, it's a Campion. And just look:
The wheels on the trailer are custom, as are the side pipes and the ladder onto the custom swim deck. I found this one on boattrader.com and make no representation of it being C&Z's boat. Just pointing out the custom features. :D
Oops!
I like the custom EZ Loader trailer, too. :D I don't think you even have to back those into the water to launch your boat. You just un-hook your boat, then back up really fast and then slam on the brakes. Boat comes right off!
Oh, and that's not a swim step. It's a bumper.

superdave013
09-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Magic builds a nice boat. You should enjoy the entire process.
Have fun!

Jordy
09-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Magic builds a nice boat.
But they're all the same. ;)

termiteguy
09-21-2005, 11:45 AM
lmfao :eat:

termiteguy
09-21-2005, 11:53 AM
lmao

Tom Brown
09-21-2005, 11:58 AM
It could use some checkers.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-21-2005, 12:07 PM
I have a Campion Chase, but am looking at a 34' Magic Cat....
Perhaps I'm talking out of turn here, but am I the only one somewhat leery of anyone going from the boat that Jordy posted a picture of to a 34 Magic Cat? I mean, that's a HUGE difference. I'm not sayng it shouldn't be allowed, but there needs to be some serious seat time in making that type of jump, right?

Jbb
09-21-2005, 12:08 PM
It could use some checkers.
:idea:
you are never satisfied....are you....?... :sqeyes:

Jordy
09-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Perhaps I'm talking out of turn here, but am I the only one somewhat leery of anyone going from the boat that Jordy posted a picture of to a 34 Magic Cat? I mean, that's a HUGE difference. I'm not sayng it shouldn't be allowed, but there needs to be some serious seat time in making that type of jump, right?
Good luck with insurance. They like to know the boating experience you've had and going from a 19' single engine v-hull to a 34' cat with twins???? Yeah, that could be ugly, as if getting cat insurance isn't already bad enough. :(

lucky
09-21-2005, 12:27 PM
After 20ish hours in my Warlock 28', I feel that I'm barely capable of driving without killing myself. :D I've been driving jets at Parker since 1991. I can imagine going from a bass boat to a 34' Magic.
well thats cause your too busy looking at all the river girls -- to pay attention to whats in front of you :2purples: lmao

Debbolas
09-21-2005, 12:32 PM
I'm too tired to EVEN fight in this thread :sleeping:

76ANTHONY
09-21-2005, 12:34 PM
i have a boat with a gascap made outta a pie tin, am i custom????

Tom Brown
09-21-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm too tired to EVEN fight in this thread :sleeping:
Isn't it time to take the dogs for a walk?

Debbolas
09-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Isn't it time to take the dogs for a walk?
She's sleeping :burningm:

Tom Brown
09-21-2005, 12:42 PM
She's sleeping :burningm:
Wake her up by pressing your feet on her chest............. see how she likes it. :D

ptboat
09-21-2005, 12:49 PM
I think a custom boat is the one that has a chick ass spreading all over the gel with an attitude shocker infront of her.

Debbolas
09-21-2005, 12:53 PM
Wake her up by pressing your feet on her chest............. see how she likes it. :D
I wasn't going to HURT HER, just startle her... :rolleyes:
I had it all planned, I would put my feet on her but not apply any pressure!!.... :devil:
YOU try waking up because a dog (lab puppy, about 25 pounds) is standing on your chest!!! :p

lucky
09-21-2005, 01:01 PM
YOU try waking up because a dog (lab puppy, about 25 pounds) is standing on your chest!!! :p
I will have to ask the resident expert on this one
Frenchie?? :D

Debbolas
09-21-2005, 01:03 PM
I will have to ask the resident expert on this one
Frenchie?? :D
:p

Jordy
09-21-2005, 01:10 PM
I don't know Tom, this just popped up in another thread:
Rememeber the uglier it is the more "custom" it is at kajunka.
:D :D :D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-21-2005, 03:56 PM
I find amusement in the fact that some people here think they can make the definition of what a ""custom" boat is, but when someone suggests that their boats may not fall into the "custom" category, they take offense.
MMSW<-----NOT a custom boat owner
but I have custom interior. . . does that count??? :D

Phat Matt
09-21-2005, 03:58 PM
This helps... (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92754)

Sleek-Jet
09-21-2005, 03:59 PM
I find amusement in the fact that some people here think they can make the definition of what a ""custom" boat is, but when someone suggests that their boats may not fall into the "custom" category, they take offense.
All mid-70's day cruisers are custom by this point in time. :D
Sleek <------- owns a cruiser with almost as much wood as MMSW. :D

Jbb
09-21-2005, 04:14 PM
See the big somewhat shiney thing on the motor......custom
the clear blue belt guard......................................custom
The big gas guzzlers on top of the shiney thing........custom
my gas bill at the end of the month...55 gals at a time custom.... :cool:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DSCF0156.JPG

Jbb
09-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Casa Jbb..............Custom... :D
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/110291.jpg

spectras only
09-21-2005, 04:27 PM
This is a custom , 4 engined Renato Levi design . Only one made !
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/barba.jpg
Another custom ,[ it's in Seattle ] 42 Braginton
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/OP_BragintonCapa.jpg
my friend made this one
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/kavalk29d.jpg

Jbb
09-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Nothing says ..."Custom" more than....Bubbles... (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88525&highlight=mini+schiada)

spectras only
09-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Naaah , production hull :wink: . More than one made :hammerhea :p :D

djunkie
09-21-2005, 04:40 PM
I have a custom boat.
Because it says so in the name. And I say so also. So there!!!!! :yuk: :rollside: :rollside:

Big H
09-21-2005, 04:43 PM
How about loosening up on the term "custom" and just calling it "customized" or even "personalized"? If you buy a stock manufacturer boat and then pick a gel coat option, then pick a motor/drive option, then add parts from any of the big supplier houses or one of the many talented machinists on this board or any other, the boat is not "custom" it is "customized/personalized".
Is your truck "custom" because you put wheels or suspension on it? No.
Is your motorcycle "custom" because you put exhaust or chrome on it? No.
What you have done is added to it to make it the way you want it. Personalized. :wink:

Creator
09-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Custom
adj.
Made to order.
Specializing in the making or selling of made-to-order goods: a custom tailor.

Debbolas
09-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Nothing says ..."Custom" more than....Bubbles... (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88525&highlight=mini+schiada)
:D
I think maybe that is like asking "what makes a woman beautiful"..........different answers for different folks....ok, in my case, what makes a man gorgeous...........but you get the idea......

19cobaltcd
09-22-2005, 08:57 AM
So, I guess that makes my Cobalt custom. They have a option list as long as most of your "custom" builders. Just because they dont do checkers or tribal flames they are not custom according to all of you. Flame away, I dont care.

superdave013
09-22-2005, 09:41 AM
So, I guess that makes my Cobalt custom. They have a option list as long as most of your "custom" builders. Just because they dont do checkers or tribal flames they are not custom according to all of you. Flame away, I dont care.
And your cobalt is prolly built better then alot of the so-called customs too.
Those Cobalts can take a lickin and keep tickin!

Jordy
09-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Since when did the word custom come to mean one of a kind?
About the same time Chico&Zeus registered here. :D

Froggystyle
09-22-2005, 10:19 AM
"Trident Production Boats" has a shitty ring to it...
I like Trident Personalized Boats a little though...
For another 12 days or so, mine is custom I guess...

Dave C
09-22-2005, 10:28 AM
I can order one of those big shiney BDS thingys too cuz its production. Same with those two toilet bowl thingys; production. and I bet yer gas bill looks very similar to mine (arm plus leg), not so custom after all. ;) ;) ;)
J/K! That is my idea of custom too. Pick up a damn wrench and change something with your own two hands. Hey what a novel concept. :)
"Custom" is very subjective term.
See the big somewhat shiney thing on the motor......custom
the clear blue belt guard......................................custom
The big gas guzzlers on top of the shiney thing........custom
my gas bill at the end of the month...55 gals at a time custom.... :cool:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860DSCF0156.JPG

Dave C
09-22-2005, 02:11 PM
"only" he says......
80 actually, why?
I'm not complaining... its only money! ;) :notam:
Does your boat only hold 55 gallons of gas? :2purples:

Tom Brown
09-22-2005, 02:31 PM
This is a custom , 4 engined Renato Levi design . Only one made !
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/barba.jpg
It would be cool to have a boat where the bow arrives five minutes before you do.

Sportin' Wood
09-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Hey! I added that super cool custom skull shifter knob. Whadda want? The custom tears in the seat?

Dave C
09-22-2005, 03:22 PM
back away from the 19th warlockbob.... ;)
I think it gets pretty good mileage, all things considered. I can go the whole day on 15-20 gallons, which ain't bad, IMO. I haven't figured hourly usage, mainly due to my need to preserve my sanity!
especially since my old jet used to get about 40 gallons an hour :2purples: :2purples: that was terrible!
Big boat like that, I would think it would take more than 55 to get it on and off the trailer. :p :D
I just realized I misread your post with jbb's quote.
I think our gas bills get out of hand due to the sheer volume of driving. truck, motorhome, boat, 2 cars, etc.!!!!

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey! I added that super cool custom skull shifter knob. Whadda want? The custom tears in the seat?
I was counting your "knob" as part of the interior :eek:
and my "oops!" vacuum burns add character. :hammerhea