PDA

View Full Version : Golf Cart Questions

ParkerRat
09-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Anyone know of a good muffler to quite down a 2 stroke golf cart? Also anyone know what the requirements are for golf carts to make them street legal. I here they have been cracking down on carts crossing 95 to get to the stores in Parker? Appreciate any help.

JetBoatRich
09-21-2005, 02:49 PM
my neighbor's RV generator was louder than most :hammerhea he took it to the muffler shop and they installed small car muffler :eek:
Maybe be an option on your cart, if you have the room :wink:

djunkie
09-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Anyone know of a good muffler to quite down a 2 stroke golf cart? Also anyone know what the requirements are for golf carts to make them street legal. I here they have been cracking down on carts crossing 95 to get to the stores in Parker? Appreciate any help.
Well I haven't done mine yet but I think you need a windshield, lights, horn, license plate light. I'm sure theres more but thats all I can remember. If you take it to the Parker DMV I don't think they are very strict on the stuff. They usually just say that they leave it up to the cops to enforce all that stuff. BE CAREFUL driving that thing across the highway. I have 2 friends that have gotten popped for DUI in theirs.

mbrown2
09-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Well I haven't done mine yet but I think you need a windshield, lights, horn, license plate light. I'm sure theres more but thats all I can remember. If you take it to the Parker DMV I don't think they are very strict on the stuff. They usually just say that they leave it up to the cops to enforce all that stuff. BE CAREFUL driving that thing across the highway. I have 2 friends that have gotten popped for DUI in theirs.
I don't think there is a Parker DMV....one in Havasu though

djunkie
09-21-2005, 02:58 PM
I don't think there is a Parker DMV....one in Havasu though
I'm pretty sure there is. Someone told me to go to the Parker one instead of the Havasu one cause they are more lenient in Parker. And less crowded.

ParkerRat
09-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the advice, I just gotta keep in the park after the drinks start flowin :D

djunkie
09-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Heres the link to the Parker DMV. Call them up. I'm sure someone in there can help you out.
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/OfficeHourssql/scripts/readofficehours.asp?COUNTY=Lapaz

Not So Fast
09-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Don't forget Brake lights and thats it ;) NSF

djunkie
09-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Don't forget Brake lights and thats it ;) NSF
Oh ya, that too. :smile:

Dawn Patrol
09-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I have a Yamaha Gas Golf Cart registered & insured in Cali, No windshield , brake lights, turn signals or horn. It does have front and rear lights, and a plate light.
While in Parker was I was talking to a very cool BLM Officer, he kindly ran my plate and said my Cart was Legal to operate on streets with a 35 MPH or less limit.
If there are any CHP Officers on the board, what exacty does the Law state regarding Golf Carts on public Roads?

djunkie
09-21-2005, 05:16 PM
I have a Yamaha Gas Golf Cart registered & insured in Cali, No windshield , brake lights, turn signals or horn. It does have front and rear lights, and a plate light.
While in Parker was I was talking to a very cool BLM Officer, he kindly ran my plate and said my Cart was Legal to operate on streets with a 35 MPH or less limit.
If there are any CHP Officers on the board, what exacty does the Law state regarding Golf Carts on public Roads?
Registered and insured in cali. huh? Was it hard to get done? How much is the registration and insurance? Sorry for all the questions but I would like to do mine here also if it is ok to drive on the streets in Az. too.

Dawn Patrol
09-21-2005, 05:52 PM
I bought the cart about a year ago, It already had plates. When it was time to register it, I was able to get a smog exemption, so that part was a breeze.
I insure it through State Farm with 100/300 limits with a $100 deductable,
it is a whopping $40.00 a year.

FryJet
09-21-2005, 05:55 PM
All you need is a certificate of origin from the manufacturer for the cart. Take it to the DMV or a DMV service (which is much easier) and have them verify the vin and you're there. Throw it on you ins policy for a couple more bucks a year and you have a cart that is legal on any road 35mph and under. Every once in a while I get a cop that wants to be a little whiny but for the most part they dont give you a second look. Hope that helps.
F.J.

moneysucker
09-21-2005, 05:56 PM
I took mine to Mckees auto registration in La Mesa (San Diego) She verifies #s and you will have a plate by the end of the day once you call your insurance co and get ins on it. Easy. No windshield, blinkers seatbelts, none of that BS.

moneysucker
09-21-2005, 05:57 PM
All you need is a certificate of origin from the manufacturer for the cart. Take it to the DMV or a DMV service (which is much easier) and have them verify the vin and you're there. Throw it on you ins policy for a couple more bucks a year and you have a cart that is legal on any road 35mph and under. Every once in a while I get a cop that wants to be a little whiny but for the most part they dont give you a second look. Hope that helps.
F.J.
unless you have a license plate from a cart you sold 2 years ago.

Not So Fast
09-21-2005, 07:50 PM
I took mine to Mckees auto registration in La Mesa (San Diego) She verifies #s and you will have a plate by the end of the day once you call your insurance co and get ins on it. Easy. No windshield, blinkers seatbelts, none of that BS.
Wow, Thats not what the MVD (AZ DMV) told me and I paid for all the stuff they said to put on. In thinking about it though I like my fold-down windshield, driving after dark is pretty fun so lights (tail & Head) are a must and brake lights on the street with cars behind me, I like them too!! The horn comes in handy for blowing at the snow birds, so even if these things are not required, if I'm driving on the streets I want them for my safety, but thats just me because those cars are a lot bigger than a golf cart :notam: NSF

Yarder
09-21-2005, 08:12 PM
Not LEO or anything but the way I understand the Arizona law the following are required:
Insurance
Registered (plate)
Headlights
Tail and Brake lights
Plate light
Rear View Mirror
Horn
Turn Signals (remember your hand signals kiddies..?)
and Windshield or eye protection (glasses work too apparently..)
And of course the 35 mph speed limit thing... but I think that the mph limit is USDOT imposed due to tires not being "highway rated"...
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/10968cart_004small-med.jpg

ACCEPTENCE
09-21-2005, 08:17 PM
Hummmm??? This is interesting, I had no idea.