PDA

View Full Version : Who knows about Stevens boats?

malcolm
09-21-2005, 06:28 PM
Here's one that I can get for free. Anyone know this hull? I don't even know the year yet, looks old. :)
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/stevensfrt.JPG
http://home1.gte.net/res09phe/stevensrear.JPG
I thought it might be a fun boat to fool around with, maybe use the parts the Spectra grows out of.

Squirtin Thunder
09-21-2005, 06:50 PM
It looks like it is heavy !!!
Can you lift the transom of the trailer ???
I bet that is one of those that they made with the 3" thick transom.
The kids could beat the hell out of it and you won't get mad.
Free ???
You could always sell the pump for $500 !!!
To buy more parts for the Spectra !!!

taylormanss
09-21-2005, 06:52 PM
I'd pick it up for a future project if I was you.

PC Rat
09-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Malcolm,
Send a pm to voodooCanoe over on the V Drives forum. A friend of ours has a very nice '65 Stevens that is a V Drive and does look similar. Voodoo could probably post a photo of "The Pussycat".
Brian

malcolm
09-21-2005, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I'll go ahead and bring her home. Can't pass up a free Berk JC if nothing else. :mix:

old rigger
09-22-2005, 08:00 AM
Stevens was a legendary boat builder here in So Cal for many years. His name was Mack Stevens and he built boats in the south bay area, Torrance.
He mostly built flat v-drives an his wood deck boats were beautiful. There's a guy that lives down in Fallbrook CA named Harlin Orrin (760 723 0767) that
worked for him back in the day, and he has gobs of history about the boats and Mack himself. Harlin still does wood decks.
Stevens was one of the first to stick a jet drive in a boat out here, it was a flatbottom. I have a article showing both a Stevens and a Carlson with the then 'new' drive system being tested, around '63 I think. But that first jet was much earlier that the one you found here. It was real old school, just the nozzel sticking out of the transom and the engine mounted far forward.
One of the nicest boats I ever saw, when I was about 9 or 10 was a Stevens wood deck flatbottom tied up at the dock at Havasu Springs. This was about 1965 or so. It was running a SBC with the chevy factory fuel injection set up on it. My dad stopped in his tracks to drool over the boat and I can remember all the details he pointed out to me. It was beautiful. Made a big impression on me. Be cool to have that set up now. Hell, I'd love to have just a picture of the thing.
I'd grab the boat if it was me. Shit, it's free. Someone will want it down the road. If you decide to just sell off the pump, I'd be interested in the hull. maybe.

malcolm
09-22-2005, 08:08 AM
I figured you'd have some good info for me, thanks! I'll drag it home this weekend and put up some more pics. The inside is full of old parts and various old mounts. Unfortunately they all appear to be homemade. :skull:

mj680
09-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Stevens Boats were built in Gardena,Ca on El Segundo Blvd.Mostly Flatbottoms. :cool:

1978 Rogers
09-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Here's one that I can get for free. Anyone know this hull? I don't even know the year yet, looks old. :)
I'll confirm it and the trailer both look old. :D
Thats cool. Grab it, you can't turn down a freebee. You can have His & Her boats.

old rigger
09-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Stevens Boats were built in Gardena,Ca on El Segundo Blvd.Mostly Flatbottoms. :cool:
You're 100% correct on the location. I was thinking South Bay, and Torrance jumped into my head. Must have been thinking of the Beach Boys the moment before.
By the mid 60's he was expanding to outboards, jets and so on like everyone else was.
Here's a cool little boat they did in '64..........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/flyin-t/09-21-12.jpg

Captain no fun
09-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Malcolm, drag that thing over to my trailer, bring a half case of Heineken, some dry salami, some laughing cow cheese, drag the wif and rat along, I bet between you and I the M.I.G. welder, some old scrap 1" plate, and that 454 in the corner, we could do that baby a number before the wekend! Just think of the possibilities...a blower motor by the spring, rebuild that pump, have Big Fat slop some color on it, take the husk to Carl at Creative interiors, we'd be somebody. Well, maybe I should go work on the Kitchen before the war department misconstrues this as another attempt to abuse the Visa, and put off the home projects! See Ya Soon, Drive it like it's a rental!!! :hammerhea

malcolm
09-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Heh-heh! :D
Give me a little bit to see if I can scrape up a title first. ;)

malcolm
09-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Went up after it today. Turned out it needed a 1 7/8" ball, rats! I'll try again later. I did a little measuring with a 6 foot tape I had. Looks like it's not even 16 feet long. :jawdrop:

malcolm
10-03-2005, 01:04 PM
I drug it home yesterday. It looks a little better with the green washed off. Only negative is there isn't any paperwork, so I get to send off to Montana to make sure it isn't hot. :squiggle:

1978 Rogers
10-03-2005, 06:02 PM
Cool, can't wait to see it.