PDA

View Full Version : Pump Problems

mzouman
09-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Was hoping that you guys might have some advice for me other than to replace my jacuzzi yj with something else :D I got a ski rope sucked in through my intake a couple of weekends ago, couldn't get it out so we had to run it about 15 minutes back down river back to the boat ramp. Got it home and pulled the inspection cover, cut out the rope, caulked the heck out of the inspection cover and put it back on. Everything should be good right? Anyway, I took it out after work today and the motor runs fine, and the pump moves some water but when I give it more throttle it just barely puts along. The edges on my impeller are a little rough but I wouldn't think that that would cause this big of a prob. Any ideas about what I should check out, and how to go about it. I really have next to no experience working on these things and if anyone has an extra service manual I would love to get a copy. Thanks a million I am really stumped.

JetBoatRich
09-21-2005, 07:03 PM
You sure you have all the rope out :confused:

mzouman
09-21-2005, 07:06 PM
I couldn't see anymore in there anyway. And really when it was chock full of rope it still ran pretty decently as long as I didn't run the rpm's up too much. Now I can give it 3/4 throttle and it just kinda crawls along.

mzouman
09-22-2005, 06:53 AM
Are there any seals or gaskets that I should check? Or now that I think of it, If a big chunk of caulking dropped through and stuck to the impeller would that cause this kind of problem?

Cas
09-22-2005, 08:12 AM
sounds like there's still something in the pump, lodged in the impeller or bowl?

Heatseeker
09-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Anything stuck to,on,or in the impeller can cause big trouble. Peel that caulking off and try again. If your problem still persists, it may be pump tear down time. You'd be surprised of how little of an obstruction can cause your pump's performance to drop off. Even a small piece of plastic(or even a small piece of rope in your case) wrapped around an impeller or bowl vane can cause problems like you describe.

mzouman
09-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Will open it back up and check again tonight. Thanks guys.

mzouman
09-22-2005, 12:48 PM
Will open it back up and check again tonight. Thanks guys.

Keithb87
09-22-2005, 01:07 PM
I did that exact same thing July 4th weekend.
Make sompletly sure that you have all of the rope out of the pump, off of the shaft, out of the impeller.

JETBOY03
09-22-2005, 01:28 PM
pull the bowl off it is very easy to do in a yj. you may have some of that rope stuck in the vanes in front of the impeller.

mzouman
09-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Okay, stupid question time. How do I go about taking the bowl off. I've downloaded the schematic of the pump, but I really don't have any experience working on them. Thanks for all of the help guys.

Jim Brock
09-23-2005, 07:42 AM
the rope my have gotten into the mechanical seal, if that happens it will slip bad.Jim

mzouman
09-23-2005, 08:36 AM
I'll have to check that when I get it opened up. I'm assuming that I can check that by simply opening the inspection cover. If I have to take the bowl off how do I get starte with that? Do I need to pull the deflector off or do I just unbolt the bowl and pull the whole thing through the transom adaptor? Also, do I have to replace any O-rings when I do this?

JETBOY03
09-23-2005, 12:32 PM
well i have a golden eagle pretty much the same pump but set back. i just unbolt the bowl pull it off. if you need to get the shaft out take the snap ring of the thrust bearing and pull it out.

mzouman
09-23-2005, 01:17 PM
Wow! That seems too easy. Thanks for the info.

HotDogz
09-23-2005, 02:13 PM
Sucked a rope last year and it wrapped around the shaft in seconds and pushed my shaft seal out. Didnt hurt the pump or impellar but wrecked my seals. With rope and seals the way they were would not let my motor rev. Shaft had to be removed to get all the rope out.

SmokinLowriderSS
09-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Dad & I sucked up about 95' once, back when Lowrider was new (damn salesman told dad it wouldn't suck a rope past the rock grate at idle. LIAR!)
We had to idle to the ramp (2K RPM was all she had and it did no good), and we spent a couple hours digging all the rope out in 2' sections (filet knife was helpful). No damages otherwise, but I lost my favorite ski rope that afternoon. :p