PDA

View Full Version : motor pics

steelcomp
09-21-2005, 09:31 PM
Done. Off to dyno tomorrow AM. Here's a couple of pics.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729done2.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729done1.jpg

RCB19
09-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Nice lookin mill Steel. Let us know what it makes. Care to share what parts are in it??? Specs too. :D

Heatseeker
09-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Looking good Steel. Very clean mill.
Post up the numbers asap!

flat broke
09-21-2005, 10:27 PM
Looks good Steel!!!! I just love me them Canfields and a tunnel ram.
Chris

Wicked Performance Boats
09-22-2005, 04:07 AM
Looks Killer! Let us know the numbers. Good luck Budlight

JetBoatRich
09-22-2005, 04:12 AM
Looks very clean :D

Norseman
09-22-2005, 04:30 AM
Looks Good!!!
Let us know how it does on the dyno!!
Bob

BAE_557
09-22-2005, 07:09 AM
Looks good but what happened to the blown alcohol deal.

Cs19
09-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Thats trick how you ran that vacuum line to the other side.
Where is the plenum spacer?
What size dommys?

hack job
09-22-2005, 08:28 AM
looks good ! cant wait to hear some #'s

Jetboatguru
09-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Scott, not to bash your motor because it looks beautiful, but isn't there a better regualtor you could use to feed that motor? Or maybe two of them?

Squirtcha?
09-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Scott, not to bash your motor because it looks beautiful, but isn't there a better regualtor you could use to feed that motor? Or maybe two of them?
I was kinda wondering the same thing. Holley regulators don't exactly have the best reputation.

UBFJ #454
09-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Scott -
What block is that and does it have the GM Priority Oiling System built into it and if so did you 'short circuit' it via the back cam bearing race? My reason for asking is your placement of the vacuum pump extraction location.
Jak

Cs19
09-22-2005, 09:46 PM
My vacuum is pulled the same exact way, and Ive got an old GM block with no tricks to the oiling system.
Heard this thing made some pretty good power today. CONGRATS to Steelcomp. :cool:
Why not come to ming steel ? Dave said your not coming? :(

MESA BALANCING
09-23-2005, 04:21 AM
Looks like a million bucks Steel keep up the good work.

BUSBY
09-23-2005, 05:45 AM
Quality stuff there Scott! Looks awesome ... are you still stopping by the pits this weekend?
I'm outta here takin' off for the lake in about an hour ... so I woun't be online after that until Monday ... hope to see you there.
Nice job ...
Brian

steelcomp
09-23-2005, 06:40 AM
Nice lookin mill Steel. Let us know what it makes. Care to share what parts are in it??? Specs too. :D
Thanks RCB...there's a build up in Gearheads under steel 467.

steelcomp
09-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Looks good but what happened to the blown alcohol deal.
On hold for now. Still in the works, though. I figured I'd take this in steps.
Thanks.

steelcomp
09-23-2005, 06:47 AM
Thats trick how you ran that vacuum line to the other side.
Where is the plenum spacer?
What size dommys?
Yeah, I saw that vac line set up on some kid's boat...thought it looked kinda cool.
Spacer? What spacer? :notam:... no big...it seemed pretty happy without it. The Dom's are 1050's. They worked just fine. :D

steelcomp
09-23-2005, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the compliment Tony. That reg. works just fine...never had any problems with it, and it flows plenty of fuel.

steelcomp
09-23-2005, 06:56 AM
Scott -
What block is that and does it have the GM Priority Oiling System built into it and if so did you 'short circuit' it via the back cam bearing race? My reason for asking is your placement of the vacuum pump extraction location.
Jak
Standard Mk IV, oil restrictors in the back, nothing more. Oil pressure never dipped more than 2 psi. After break in runs we changed oil, and made a couple of pulls. Right at about 6800 there was a very slight dip in power, that seemed to be related to a slight dip in oil pressure. We took a quart out of the pan, the dip in oil pressure and power went away, and in fact it picked up power.

steelcomp
09-23-2005, 07:02 AM
My vacuum is pulled the same exact way, and Ive got an old GM block with no tricks to the oiling system.
Heard this thing made some pretty good power today. CONGRATS to Steelcomp. :cool:
Why not come to ming steel ? Dave said your not coming? :(
Yes, it made better power that enyone was expecting, except Chris Straub, who did the cam. He called it on the number at 820.
820 hp at 7000, and I think the best Q was 677 at 5500. Not bad for a little garage built motor. :D I have to get the runs off the CD, and I'll post them and some pics up later. Thanks for all the nice words, guys. Thanks aspecially to DNE and Team Brule! We definately rocked the house. :D
Chris, I'll be at Ming, just didn't have timie to get the boat ready. C ya there.

Cs19
09-23-2005, 07:12 AM
Nice numbers Scott.
Dave and Brule are fun to dyno with for sure, see you at the races.
CS

steelcomp
09-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Here's a few pics from Westech's "polygraph" room. This is getting started. It was right about at this point when we lost power in the area for about an hour. Can't do much on a dyno without electrical power.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729westech1.jpg
Here's Steve Brule helping to get things primed and ready to fire.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729westech2.jpg
Here's the motor ready to go with Dave's test headers. We used these with the pyrometers to get a good base reading, and get the carbs dialed in.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729westech_test_headers.jpg
Here's the sheet from the best pull. I was wrong...it actually peaked out at 821 hp, and made almost 680 lbs/ft. of torque. (corrected) :D
We ran it to 7200 to see where the power would top out. You can also see here how stable the oil pressure is. This is with 8 qts.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729sweep14-2.jpg
I'm posting this as an item of interest for those of you who understand the significance of BMEP numbers. As was explained to me by Dave and Steve, numbers above 180 would have been good for this motor, 190- excellent, and 200 pretty rare to see. This number is a factor converted to resemble lbs/ft of torque per cubic inch.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729sweep14-1.jpg
Here's the measured power and Q plotted in graph form. Smooth, flat power.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729measured_q_and_hp.jpg

Nucking futs
09-23-2005, 08:08 PM
I can't quite make out the cam, seems to be blacked out...... :messedup:
Can you pm me the cam specs please........ :D
Nice #'s there Scott. Boat should move out with that Mill.

MikeF
09-23-2005, 08:21 PM
He thought he grabbed the highlighter. :hammerhea :D

MikeF
09-23-2005, 08:28 PM
NICE WORK Scott! :cool:
Are the best dyno runs w/ your boat headers?
Can't......wait......to......hear.....what........ ..rpm......with.....that.....mpd.... impeller. Sure it will be QUICK! (and fast) :D

steelcomp
09-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Can you pm me the cam specs please........ :D
Nice #'s there Scott. Boat should move out with that Mill.
Thanks Futs...I'm hoping it'll run OK. Cam's around .700 lift, and around 270 deg. @ .05. I dunno...I forgot already. :D

steelcomp
09-23-2005, 08:54 PM
NICE WORK Scott! :cool:
Are the best dyno runs w/ your boat headers?
Can't......wait......to......hear.....what........ ..rpm......with.....that.....mpd.... impeller. Sure it will be QUICK! (and fast) :D
Yeah, the motor really liked the longer collectors. That's when it broke the 800 number. We made 18 pulls and it just kept getting better. I have to tell ya, Brule and Dave are pros. On the first pull, Brule started rolling into it and IMMEDIATELY shut down. I didn't see what he did, but Dave did, as he was grabbing Brule's arm to tell him to shut down, too. The fuel ratio was heading over 20:1, and in another couple of seconds, the motor would have become Alcoa scrap. Lesson learned: don't use the clear float plugs as a sight glass when adjusting float levels. The fuel wants to crawl up the little window because of the surface tension (or lack there-of) making the float levels look way higher than they were. The flaots were WAY too low, and the motor went dead lean. Thanks to Steve and Dave's knowing what to look for on initial run in like that, they helped prevent a disaster. We went out and adjusted the floats the right way (removed the plugs and raised the level to the bottom of the holes) and fattened the mains up a couple, and never had another problem. The motor definately likes the 1050's, which I wasn't sure it would. It also liked 33-34 degrees of timing best. we tried 35, and 37, but it lost power. Kind of unusual for an open chamber BB Chev, but hey, I'm not going to argue with 34 degrees if that's where it want's to run! That's on Trick 106 race gas. We also found out that it dosen't like my scoop. We tested it, and it lost 20 lbs/ft. It wasn't getting the same signal at the carbs with the scoop on, and was losing fuel. We jetted up a couple to see if it helped, and picked up 10 of the 20 we lost, but still not good enough. I'm going to look into a new scoop.
All together, this is one happy, very effecient little motor that ought to get the job done pretty darn well! I'm stoked! :D

Cs19
09-23-2005, 08:59 PM
You should be stoked, hows the boat coming? Got that intake all figured out yet? :D
What kind of ET are you hoping to get in OCt?

steelcomp
09-23-2005, 09:13 PM
You should be stoked, hows the boat coming? Got that intake all figured out yet? :D
What kind of ET are you hoping to get in OCt?
Boat's been sitting. Just haven't had the time, but now that the motor's done, I think I can make Oct. I've figured out what I want to do to the intake, now I just gotta do it. That's a full weekend in the machine shop...know what I mean??
AFA ET...hell...I have no idea. Hopefully somewhere where you're running, but I have a lot of catching up to do, set-up wise. I'd like to think I can run 9.0's eventually. We'll talk. :D I was hoping you might get wind of me being at Westech and come by yesterday.

Cs19
09-23-2005, 09:28 PM
I knew you were going, just couldnt pull it off. I was thinkin' about you guys all day though.
Its a fun time down at Westech, Brule and DNE are just fun to be around, sounds like you got your moneys worth, 20 pulls is a long day.
Ya that intake is really what I want to do also, maybe this winter Ill try to make one too.

PC Rat
09-23-2005, 10:03 PM
We also found out that it dosen't like my scoop. We tested it, and it lost 20 lbs/ft. It wasn't getting the same signal at the carbs with the scoop on, and was losing fuel. We jetted up a couple to see if it helped, and picked up 10 of the 20 we lost, but still not good enough. I'm going to look into a new scoop.
Scott,
You built a lot of ponies.
What kind of scoop are you talking about that it didn't like? I was thinking you had a fiberglass scoop.
Brian

NELSON#109
09-24-2005, 03:37 AM
Looks Sweet Dude... See Ya At Ming

steelcomp
09-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Scott,
You built a lot of ponies.
What kind of scoop are you talking about that it didn't like? I was thinking you had a fiberglass scoop.
Brian
This scoop...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1729bah_1a.jpg
It's one of the first Harwood's made back in the mid 70's. It looks like it should work, but that's the beauty of a dyno. I like the style, so I'm going to see if there's anything else newer that will work better. Any input would be appreciated.

DeputyDawg
09-24-2005, 06:45 PM
Once again, great job steel. The work you did to the heads and extra time you took making the intake right as well as the custom cam grind is no doubt the reason for the good BMEP numbers. Congrats!

Squirtcha?
09-24-2005, 06:49 PM
This scoop...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1729bah_1a.jpg
It's one of the first Harwood's made back in the mid 70's. It looks like it should work, but that's the beauty of a dyno. I like the style, so I'm going to see if there's anything else newer that will work better. Any input would be appreciated.
I'm sure the ram air affect is pretty much negligible, however ya have to wonder if it wouldn't change things with the boat moving forward and the scoop at least being somewhat packed with air?

steelcomp
09-24-2005, 07:00 PM
I'm sure the ram air affect is pretty much negligible, however ya have to wonder if it wouldn't change things with the boat moving forward and the scoop at least being somewhat packed with air?
I agree with you that there would be little effect if any from the ram air.
I don't think it was the amount of air that was the problem, rather, I think it was the shape of the air as it entered the carbs. The carbs weren't getting as good a signal, and we were seeing less fuel in the motor. It didn't effect the HP at the top end much, but it did effect the peak torque. I would like to see a scoop that had no effect on the dyno.

steelcomp
09-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Once again, great job steel. The work you did to the heads and extra time you took making the intake right as well as the custom cam grind is no doubt the reason for the good BMEP numbers. Congrats!Thanks again DD. Good BMEP came from lots of little things. Cam and intake were a good part of it, but there's a couple of tricks I tried with the chambers and short turns that seem to have paid off as well. The carbs also worked better than expected. We only made one high speed air bleed adjustment (after corecting my stupidity), and one jet change. It started very easily, idled nicely, and was very crisp. It had very good throttle response. We also ran it at about 3500 or so pulling a couple hundred flbs/ft to simulate a cruise condition, which it didn't seem to mind at all. I'm still tickled at how surprised Brule and Dave were. :D

Nucking futs
09-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Scott, I have seen the same model scoop with a bigger mid section. Maybe that would kill the venturie affect and give the carbs a good signal. What is the middel of the scoop width?

steelcomp
09-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Scott, I have seen the same model scoop with a bigger mid section. Maybe that would kill the venturie affect and give the carbs a good signal. What is the middel of the scoop width?
The middle is about 3 1/2" wide. I always thought it was narrow. It also comes down very close to the top of the carbs. I think the straight part of the sides need to be a little taller. It was probably fine with the 800s I was running, but not with the Dom's. CS19 is running a similar scoop. I'm going to ask him about it tomorrow at Ming.
Thanks Futz. :coffeycup: