PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to get rid of these f'n messages

ClownRoyal
05-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Anyone seen this or variations thereof? I just had new dsl installed and I get these popups every minute. Adware does not block them. Help. My computer is fine. These are just a bunch of bullshiet.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/883FN_Msg.JPG

Sigus
05-09-2006, 05:15 PM
That sux

ClownRoyal
05-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Hey Brad,
It sux bigtime. Same thing happened when I first connected via NPG in Havasu. Though not nearly as frequent.
Come on...someone has to know how to shut these things off.

SummitKarl
05-09-2006, 05:34 PM
yup I know how to get rid of them...
if your here toss a beer over the fence and I will tell you :)

Jrocket
05-09-2006, 05:36 PM
I deleted ,cookies,temp files and did a complete cleaning and they went away for me.Also ran spyware.....never had them pop up again.

ClownRoyal
05-09-2006, 05:39 PM
yup I know how to get rid of them...
if your here toss a beer over the fence and I will tell you :)
Hey...not in Havi right now but will be in a few days. You tell me how to get rid of these and I will throw a case over the fence when I get back :)

waterwitch
05-09-2006, 05:41 PM
Hi GUYS! Can't help with the problem, but look forward
to seeing you two again.
Give Bunni a hug for me!

Mandelon
05-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Did you turn on the popup blocker? Hit the "Tools" button up top on the toolbar.....turn on popup blocker, it stops most of them. But not all :mad:

h2oski2fast
05-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Make sure you are running a firewall (either mechanical like a router, or software) when using NPG. There seems to be a lot of hackers and spammers getting through their system. Viruses are in abundance on the NPG network.

SummitKarl
05-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Hey...not in Havi right now but will be in a few days. You tell me how to get rid of these and I will throw a case over the fence when I get back :)
OK ...this one is a freebie :rollside:
run...."Services" scroll down to Messenger and turn it off

ClownRoyal
05-09-2006, 05:58 PM
OK ...this one is a freebie :rollside:
run...."Services" scroll down to Messenger and turn it off
Not so fast...where do I run "Services" from :messedup:

Kaotic
05-09-2006, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=ClownRoyal]Anyone seen this or variations thereof? I just had new dsl installed and I get these popups every minute. Adware does not block them. Help. My computer is fine. These are just a bunch of bullshiet.
Tell you what Mike, sell my truck back to me at 50%, and come over and wash / wax the boat, and I will get your computer fixed. :)

Mandelon
05-09-2006, 06:03 PM
In the lower right toolbar maybe, one of the icons might be the messenger. You can toggle it on or off. some ads sneak in on that service.

ClownRoyal
05-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Tell you what Mike, sell my truck back to me at 50%, and come over and wash / wax the boat, and I will get your computer fixed. :)
Sounds good. But the truck has appreciated about 500% so at 50% I still come out ahead LOL.

4-B
I had this problem a while back. Give me a while to see if I can dig up the instructions to correct it.

SummitKarl
Not so fast...where do I run "Services" from :messedup:
ok try this
start windows explorer
highlight your c: drive
hit search
type "service" in the dialog box, check the advanced search option box and GO.
look for "services" to appear in the result window, the one you want will have little cog wheels as the icon, dbl click on that

SmokinLowriderSS
05-09-2006, 06:14 PM
It's Windows Messenger, not to be confused with any of the Instant Messenger programs out there. A handy network tool for IM's but it has it's security holes, as you are seeing.
Go into the controll panel, then administrative tools (my win2K machine), then Component services. Select "services", scroll down, find "messenger, stop it, than disable it. Problem gone.

SmokinLowriderSS
05-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Same procedure on my WinXP laptop. Be sure to DISABLE it so it won't restart on teh next reboot of the machine.

ClownRoyal
05-09-2006, 06:21 PM
ok try this
start windows explorer
highlight your c: drive
hit search
type "service" in the dialog box, check the advanced search option box and GO.
look for "services" to appear in the result window, the one you want will have little cog wheels as the icon, dbl click on that
OK...did it and waiting. Clicked on Messenger and stopped it. Been over 5 minutes and all is quiet. All I here is unsuccessful attempts of popups :cool:
Anyway, between all the feedback I think I can get it done. Thanks you guys. Always know fellow HB'rs will come to the rescue.
SK, owe you some beer. And actually, everyone else too (except for you Kaotic LOL). Mandelon ... what happened to your avatar? I miss it.

Mandelon
05-09-2006, 06:23 PM
She was too needy.....too many bytes they told me....fokkers :mad: too big she was.

ClownRoyal
05-09-2006, 06:24 PM
It's Windows Messenger, not to be confused with any of the Instant Messenger programs out there. A handy network tool for IM's but it has it's security holes, as you are seeing.
Go into the controll panel, then administrative tools (my win2K machine), then Component services. Select "services", scroll down, find "messenger, stop it, than disable it. Problem gone.
Thanks SmokinLowriderSS! That is what I did via SummitKarl's way. Did it your way too and all is good. It STOPPED :cool: :cool:

ClownRoyal
05-09-2006, 06:25 PM
She was too needy.....too many bytes they told me....fokkers :mad: too big she was.
Awe...but thanks for bringing her back just this one time. :rollside:

ClownRoyal
05-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi GUYS! Can't help with the problem, but look forward
to seeing you two again.
Give Bunni a hug for me!
Hey guys,
Nice to hear from you. Haven't seen you around lately. Be back for about two weeks starting MemDay. Hope to see you then. Mike and Bune'.