09-22-2005, 12:12 PM
According to updated weather channel info,
winds are at 165 mph now....
This one's gonna be a bad one kids.... :frown:

topless
09-22-2005, 12:14 PM
According to updated weather channel info,
winds are at 165 mph now....
This one's gonna be a bad one kids.... :frown:Oh crap! My family lives in Houston. Hopefully it slows a little. They said the waters right along the coast a cooler and might slow it down some.

BarryMac
09-22-2005, 12:26 PM
It doesn't look good...
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/map_spectrop04_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

pjones
09-22-2005, 12:29 PM
It's just hard for me to fathom 165 mph winds...
That's just amazing to me.... :2purples:

Her454
09-22-2005, 12:30 PM
According to MSN News, Its now a category 5 and expected to do more damage than Katrina when it hits. Those poor people.....................

Her454
09-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Hurricane Rita Upgraded To Category 5
Storm Carries Winds Of 165 MPH
UPDATED: 1:24 pm PDT September 21, 2005
Email This Story | Print This Story
HOUSTON -- Hurricane Rita is now a top-of-the-scale Category 5 storm, packing winds of 165 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center.
The storm could pound Texas and bring more misery to New Orleans by the end of the week. One million people along the Gulf Coast have been ordered to move to higher ground. Forecasters expect Rita to come ashore Saturday along the central Texas coast between Galveston and Corpus Christi. But if it makes even a slight turn to the right, it could again deal a devastating blow to New Orleans.
The storm is causing more jitters among those who saw what Katrina and its 145 mph winds did to the Gulf Coast.
With Rita about two days away, thousands of Texas coast residents are getting out while the getting is good.

Mrs. Bordsmnj
09-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Where are they expecting it to hit land?

Sleek-Jet
09-22-2005, 12:32 PM
According to MSN News, Its now a category 5 and expected to do more damage than Katrina when it hits. Those poor people.....................
I just read the NOAA website, and we'll have to wait for the 3 pm update, but the consensus is that the Hurricane should weaken as the waters in the Western Gulf are not as warm.
Still a catagory 4 or catagory 5 is kind of splitting hairs to most people.

topless
09-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Hurricane Rita Upgraded To Category 5
Storm Carries Winds Of 165 MPH
UPDATED: 1:24 pm PDT September 21, 2005
Email This Story | Print This Story
HOUSTON -- Hurricane Rita is now a top-of-the-scale Category 5 storm, packing winds of 165 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center.
The storm could pound Texas and bring more misery to New Orleans by the end of the week. One million people along the Gulf Coast have been ordered to move to higher ground. Forecasters expect Rita to come ashore Saturday along the central Texas coast between Galveston and Corpus Christi. But if it makes even a slight turn to the right, it could again deal a devastating blow to New Orleans.
The storm is causing more jitters among those who saw what Katrina and its 145 mph winds did to the Gulf Coast.
With Rita about two days away, thousands of Texas coast residents are getting out while the getting is good.i need to call my Mommy and Daddy. They're screwd if they don't leave. They have a house in Wharton and one in Rockport that is right by Corpus Christi on the water. Hurricanes are scary as hell but this one........Oh SHIT!!!!

NOTALENT
09-22-2005, 12:38 PM
I called one of my customers in TX He said today it was a mandatory evacuation. He had 1hr to gather what he wanted to and get out. He took all his important stuff and put it in his bathroom because there is no window and its the safest place for what he could not take. Boarded up the other windows hoping it would help. I guess the wave's coming though are expected to be equivalent of a 2 story apartment building.
This is sad news.

Her454
09-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Our company is apparently closing down and I also just read where Texas is learning from Katrina, they are bussing people out as early as this morning, AND ALLOWING people to take their PETS.
Also, only exiting traffic is allowed, no one is entering so there will be (hopefully) less chaos if God Forbid, another one hits.

Ziggy
09-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Holy moly--that picture makes the storm look like its taking up half the Gulf already :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
I sure hope everyone gets the heck out of there and gets to safe ground...feel so bad for the refugee's that have to move again.

topless
09-22-2005, 12:50 PM
I just got off the phone with my dad and they are going to my brothers house in Waco along with my sister, and other 2 brothers and their families. Whew. That makes me feel better.

BROADMINDED
09-22-2005, 12:52 PM
I Sure Hope Everyone Gets Out As Soon As They Can. I Dont Want To Ruffle Any Feathers Here But You Have To Wonder How Much The Media Is Feeding Everybody. The Media Gets Off On This Kind Of Stuff. In A Sick And Twisted Way They Sometimes Want This Hurricane To Be As Bad Or Worse Then Katrina. It Is Just Sad That That's How Some Of Thes News People Think. The Media Feeds Off Of Drama And They Love Creating It Too. Again I Hope Everyone Gets Out Safely. Topless I Hope Your Folks Get Out Ok.

Her454
09-22-2005, 12:58 PM
I Sure Hope Everyone Gets Out As Soon As They Can. I Dont Want To Ruffle Any Feathers Here But You Have To Wonder How Much The Media Is Feeding Everybody. The Media Gets Off On This Kind Of Stuff. In A Sick And Twisted Way They Sometimes Want This Hurricane To Be As Bad Or Worse Then Katrina. It Is Just Sad That That's How Some Of Thes News People Think. The Media Feeds Off Of Drama And They Love Creating It Too. Again I Hope Everyone Gets Out Safely. Topless I Hope Your Folks Get Out Ok.
Wow, that made me tired just thinking about how many caps you used for that :mix: ;)

Havasu_Dreamin
09-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Hope everyone gets out. And phuck it, I'll take earthquakes over that stuff.

pjones
09-22-2005, 12:59 PM
I just got off the phone with my dad and they are going to my brothers house in Waco along with my sister, and other 2 brothers and their families. Whew. That makes me feel better.
I think they'll be glad that they did....
Hope all turns out well...
PJ

BROADMINDED
09-22-2005, 12:59 PM
sorry abou the caps. the type of work i do we have to write in all caps. i always forget to take it off, and people always say why am i yelling at them. sorry.

topless
09-22-2005, 01:02 PM
I think they'll be glad that they did....
Hope all turns out well...
PJ
I grew up down there nad have been thru many hurricanes but nothing of this magnitude! I also hope all turns out well too.

Her454
09-22-2005, 01:06 PM
sorry abou the caps. the type of work i do we have to write in all caps. i always forget to take it off, and people always say why am i yelling at them. sorry.
LOL, didnt think you were yelling, just looked like a lot of work :)

lucky
09-22-2005, 01:19 PM
If you ever hear me bitch about an earthquake ........... those poor people . I would like to venture to say New Orleans will be pumping out water a little longer than they expected :(

sigepmock
09-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Just talked to ours salesmanager in the Houston Office. Mandatory evact. office shut down and boarded up, everyone is headed out. We have $2 mil worth of material at a factory in Galvaston and are pretty much writing off already. If any body works with steel....prices are going to be going up again because of this one, the gulf ports are a major inlet and storage area and it looks bad. Hope this thing lightens up as it hits cooler water or else it's gonna be ugly.
Chris

Liberator TJ1984
09-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Unfortunately , alot of people that do not have the Funds to live in the big cities around here will buy little ranchitos and drop in a trailer house or build on whatever land they can get......Sadly they are in flood zones , "dry creek beds " etc........and believe they are safe and secure ....a family next to my Moms Ranch put a home in a creekbed and barns etc...she told them of past hurricane flooding ( there are washouts over 20' deep thru our ranch ) ...their reply was " Oh it was probably just a freaky raining season,it wont happen again" all I can say is......
Well hang on because here it comes , and yes many will be homeless in this one too.... :frown:

Havasu_Dreamin
09-22-2005, 01:55 PM
One of our centers in Houston shut down today at 11 AM and is only keeping a skeleton crew thru the weekend.

Magic34
09-22-2005, 02:01 PM
I wish everyone luck.
You couldn't pay me to live in the gulf region.

In2Deep
09-22-2005, 02:12 PM
It's just hard for me to fathom 165 mph winds...That's just amazing to me....
.....I get that every time I go WOT.
Thought I'd lighten up the mood a bit.
Thinking good thoughts for our friends along the Gulf.
I2D

rrrr
09-22-2005, 02:21 PM
One of my employees has three kids in Houston (we're in Dallas), I told him to hit the road and bring 'em back. He called his ex (she has the brains of a pancake), says she will prolly stay put. Too stupid to run. :rolleyes:

topless
09-22-2005, 02:26 PM
One of my employees has three kids in Houston (we're in Dallas), I told him to hit the road and bring 'em back. He called his ex (she has the brains of a pancake), says she will prolly stay put. Too stupid to run. :rolleyes:
Maybe she can hang out on her roof for a week or so.

Magic34
09-22-2005, 02:43 PM
One of my executives lives just outside of Houston and he just sent me an email stating that there is a mandatory evacuation there as well. He has to get out in less than a few hours.
He also said the major concern is that many of the homes and buildings were not built for winds that are even half of what is capable with this storm.

topless
09-22-2005, 02:49 PM
One of my executives lives just outside of Houston and he just sent me an email stating that there is a mandatory evacuation there as well. He has to get out in less than a few hours.
He also said the major concern is that many of the homes and buildings were not built for winds that are even half of what is capable with this storm.
Where outside of Houston?

Magic34
09-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Where outside of Houston?
Conroe

topless
09-22-2005, 02:51 PM
ConroeThats even North of Houston too. Even if you are 60 miles inland, it's the tornadoes it spawns that are killers.

Magic34
09-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Thats even North of Houston too. Even if you are 60 miles inland, it's the tornadoes it spawns that are killers.
Maybe it isn't mandatory then, but he is getting the hell out. I told him that his family could come stay with me for 10 days if need be.

BROADMINDED
09-22-2005, 02:56 PM
does anyone have an update on rita? sleek-jet said that there would be an update at 3:00p.m. from NOAA.

ROZ
09-22-2005, 02:59 PM
It's pretty crazy down there for us too... The national service manager is in the office next to me. Dude has been on the phone all day to his centers in Texas...
Hopefully they get a gust of dry air from the the west to drop is down a catagory or 2...

topless
09-22-2005, 03:00 PM
No but check out this map. Looks like we can say goodbye to the Johnson Space Center.
Texas Map (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sitesatlas.com/Maps/Maps/usatx1.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.sitesatlas.com/Maps/Maps/TX1.htm&h=767&w=800&sz=87&tbnid=gw4CQKDxMxAJ:&tbnh=136&tbnw=142&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmap%2Btexas%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D&oi=imagesr&start=3)

topless
09-22-2005, 03:07 PM
I just talked to my best friend and she says that now they evacuating the entire coast all the way inland as far as Victoria. She's heading west.

Magic34
09-22-2005, 03:34 PM
accuweather.com is estimating 185 MPH winds right now. Pressure is 904 MB and they are thinking it may even be lower.

Greaser
09-22-2005, 03:42 PM
Yea, Its getting pretty hectic around here. Its about a 2 hour drive from my house to Houston, and you wouldnt believe all the traffic thats been coming thru today. My brothers ex wife and my nephew live in Beumont wich I heard was being evacuated so i caled my brother and he said his ex wife is planning on trying to ride it out. I told them if they needed a place to stay they were more then welcome, but they declined. I am really worried about them.

topless
09-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Good thing they are starting evacuations earlier than with Katrina.

Magic34
09-22-2005, 04:00 PM
National Hurricane Center, plane just reported back 898 MB
3rd most intense hurricane in history.

AZKC
09-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Thing is turning into a monster storm :jawdrop:

Ziggy
09-22-2005, 05:47 PM
Good thing they are starting evacuations earlier than with Katrina.
Much smarter local authorities..........
Hope the people pay heed and get out of there....My Godparents son is down there somewhere too.

Ziggy
09-22-2005, 05:48 PM
National Hurricane Center, plane just reported back 898 MB
3rd most intense hurricane in history.
Amazing how fast this storm built up in catagories in 24 hours... :supp:

topless
09-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Just got a call from my sister in Houston. She tried to leave but traffic was so bad they decided to ride it out also. My youngest brother is in Dallas but his wife and son are riding the storm out in Houston too. I'm soooooooo upset right now. My parents are on their way to Waco. I hope they don't decide that traffic is too bad and go home too. You guys, please pray for them.

Her454
09-23-2005, 10:25 AM
Just got a call from my sister in Houston. She tried to leave but traffic was so bad they decided to ride it out also. My youngest brother is in Dallas but his wife and son are riding the storm out in Houston too. I'm soooooooo upset right now. My parents are on their way to Waco. I hope they don't decide that traffic is too bad and go home too. You guys, please pray for them.
Alison, they are most definitly in my prayers. I just read where it was downgraded to a 4 tho?

Havasu_Dreamin
09-23-2005, 10:26 AM
No but check out this map. Looks like we can say goodbye to the Johnson Space Center.
Johnson was evacuated yesterday. And control over the Space Station has been handed over to Russia for the time being.

topless
09-23-2005, 10:32 AM
On the phone with my sister and my parents are turning around to go home too. The local news out there says it's not going to be as bad in Houston as they thought. I hope she's right. :( :(

Havasu_Dreamin
09-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Rita, now a Category 5 hurricane, was captured by the MODIS instrument on the Aqua satellite in this image from September 21, 2005. For the latest prediction information on Rita, consult the National Hurricane Center website.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6143Rita.jpg

Liberator TJ1984
09-23-2005, 10:37 AM
Most bets she will turn in at the Tx./La. border somewhat
http://maps.wunderground.com/data/images/at200518_model.gif
I just don't see how they Figured in the " Vinny Testaverde " moves where she drops back to the South ???? :rolleyes:

MagicMtnDan
09-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Click here to see the current infrared imagery (http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/gmex-ir4-loop.html)

Her454
09-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Seriously tho, WTH? If they are going to name it after some pissed off woman? 1, 2, 3, 4 OR 5. Anything labeled a HURRICANE and Im out. :D

Sleek-Jet
09-23-2005, 10:50 AM
From NOAA's website
WTNT43 KNHC 221455
TCDAT3
HURRICANE RITA DISCUSSION NUMBER 20
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
11 AM EDT THU SEP 22 2005
RITA APPEARS TO HAVE REACHED ITS PEAK INTENSITY DURING THE PAST
12 HOURS. HURRICANES TYPICALLY DO NOT MAINTAIN SUCH HIGH INTENSITY
FOR A LONG TIME. INITIAL INTENSITY ESTIMATE IS 145 KNOTS. ALTHOUGH
SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE LIKELY DURING THE NEXT DAY OR
TWO...DUE TO EYEWALL REPLACEMENT CYCLES...AN OVERALL GRADUAL
WEAKENING TREND SHOULD TAKE PLACE. THIS WEAKENING TREND IS BASED ON
LOWER OCEANIC HEAT CONTENT ALONG THE FORECAST TRACK AND INCREASING
SHEAR. NEVERTHERELESS...RITA IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL AS A
DANGEROUS HURRICANE OF AT LEAST A CATEGORY THREE INTENSITY.
RITA HAS BEEN MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST OR 295 DEGREES AT 8
KNOTS. A STRONG HIGH PRESSURE SYSTEM CURRENTLY CENTERED OVER
NORTHERN TEXAS/OKLAHOMA IS EXPECTED TO SHIFT EASTWARD ALLOWING RITA
TO TAKE A MORE NORTHWESTERLY AND NORTHERLY TRACK. THE EASTWARD
SHIFT OF THE HIGH IS FORECAST BY ALL GLOBAL MODELS...RESULTING IN
TRACK GUIDANCE CONSISTENTLY TURNING THE HURRICANE TOWARD THE
NORTHWEST AND NORTH TOWARD THE UPPER-TEXAS OR THE WESTERN LOUISIANA
COASTS. AFTER LANDFALL...STEERING CURRENTS ARE EXPECTED TO WEAKEN
AND THE CYCLONE COULD MEANDER FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS IN THE VICINITY
OF NORTHEASTERN TEXAS...PRODUCING HEAVY RAINS.
BASED ON THE FORECAST TRACK AND WIND RADII...HURRICANE WARNINGS HAVE
BEEN ISSUED AT THIS TIME FROM PORT O'CONNOR TEXAS TO MORGAN CITY
LOUISIANA. TROPICAL STORM WARNINGS ARE IN EFFECT ON EITHER SIDE OF
THE HURRICANE WARNING.
FORECASTER AVILA
FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS
INITIAL 22/1500Z 25.4N 88.7W 145 KT
12HR VT 23/0000Z 25.8N 89.9W 140 KT
24HR VT 23/1200Z 26.9N 91.6W 130 KT <---- about 6:00 am Saturday morning
36HR VT 24/0000Z 28.2N 93.0W 125 KT <---- about 6:00 pm Saturday afternoon
48HR VT 24/1200Z 30.0N 94.5W 100 KT...INLAND
72HR VT 25/1200Z 33.0N 95.0W 45 KT...INLAND
96HR VT 26/1200Z 34.0N 95.0W 30 KT...INLAND
120HR VT 27/1200Z 34.5N 94.5W 25 KT...INLAND

chub
09-23-2005, 10:51 AM
My nephew just bailed out from Kennar (sp) LA. headed to Jackson MS. Hope he's far nuff up and outta the way. :confused:

topless
09-23-2005, 11:03 AM
My sister said they are hyping it up quite a bit out here. I hope she's right and in not just trying to make me feel better. :(

ROZ
09-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Someone said here that she heard the storm was downgraded to a 4 ?
Still a big ass storm...

topless
09-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Someone said here that she heard the storm was downgraded to a 4 ?
Still a big ass storm...Katrina was a 4.

ROZ
09-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Katrina was a 4.
Yes, but remember that a lot of the flooding devistation was caused from a levee(sp) breaking. Fortunately, although is doesn't make the situation any less dangerous, the Texas region wasn't built below a series of levees....
Your family, as well as all in the region, are in my prayers...

topless
09-23-2005, 11:28 AM
It just scares the hell out of me.

Liberator TJ1984
09-23-2005, 11:44 AM
of rain in N.O. is all it will take ....to washout the Levees again is what they are predicting , Rita just keeps hooking toward LA :rolleyes:

Liberator TJ1984
09-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Coastal Storm Surge Flooding Of 15 To 20 Feet Above Normal Tide
Levels...along With Large And Dangerous Battering Waves...can Be
Expected Near And To The East Of Where The Center Makes Landfall.
Tides Are Currently Running About 2 Foot Above Normal Along The
Mississippi And Louisiana Coasts In The Areas Affected By Katrina.
Tides In Those Areas Will Increase Up To 3 To 4 Feet And Be
Accompanied By Large Waves...and Residents There Could Experience
Some Coastal Flooding.
Rainfall Accumulations Of 8 To 12 Inches With Isolated Maximum 15
Inch Total Are Possible Along The Path Of Rita Particularly Over
Southeast Texas And Western Louisiana. In Addition...rainfall
Amounts Of 3 To 5 Inches Are Possible Over Southeastern Louisiana
Including New Orleans. Based On The Forecast Track...rainfall
Totals In Excess Of 25 Inches Are Possible After Rita Moves Inland.

AZKC
09-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Yikes, this is from a little earlier today.
http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Current/TRCrita265_G12L.jpg

topless
09-23-2005, 03:48 PM
I just don't see how they Figured in the " Vinny Testaverde " moves where she drops back to the South ???? :rolleyes:
Now that just looks like stick men of different races having an orgy. :D

Rod-64
09-23-2005, 03:52 PM
Just paid $2.91 for gas just now...........what will it be in 4-10 or so days??? :frown:

BajaMike
09-23-2005, 03:53 PM
Note in the upper right of the graphic...."computer models subject to large errors....do not use for planning purposes". :confused: :confused:
What else are computer models of huricane paths used for??