PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Tech question

WetWillie
09-22-2005, 01:06 PM
One of my 2001 Silverado trucks has a bad fuel pump. Leans out above 3000 rpms. Dealer just called and said $850 to replace it. Does this sound right? :supp:
Thanks!

Sleek-Jet
09-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately yes... gotta drop the tank to r&r it, and buy the 200.00+ pump...

BarryMac
09-22-2005, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately so, they have to drop the tank to do it, the fuel pump is in the tank if my memory serves me correctly...

76ANTHONY
09-22-2005, 01:12 PM
YEP, WHAT THEY SAID. this happens all the time with chevy...

HocusPocus
09-22-2005, 01:19 PM
you may be able to hunt around and get another shop to do it a little cheaper.. but it still aint gonna be cheap.

pjones
09-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Yep, what they said. Had mine replaced at 39000 mi.
Now w/ 87000 on it the fuel guage sending unit is bad.
(I now have 3/4 of a tank all the time.)
The sending unit is located on the fuel pump too....
Havn't called dealer to see if they'll cover the replacement yet.
I'm thinkin prolly not...

Kachina26
09-22-2005, 01:21 PM
I get $280 labor and the part is around $500-$600 ish. There is wiggle room on the part. Ask for a break.

Kachina26
09-22-2005, 01:23 PM
wait for the recall on the sender, coming soon.
WW, check your PMs :D

djunkie
09-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Come on get your handy little Craftsmen tool kit and a floor jack and crawl under that thing. Not that hard to do. But the pump is expensive, unless you got a hookup at the dealer. :D Oh and by the way, it helps to drain as mmuch fuel as possible out of the tank before hand.

IMPATIENT 1
09-22-2005, 01:28 PM
if it has the flex fuel engine it might be the strainer clogged.i've been doin alot of them lately! look at your 8th digit on your vin and holla back.the pump
is around 400.00.the labor hrs. shouldn't be anymore than 3hrs with diagnostics performed.does it run outta gas around the 1/4 mark?
i've been a gm master tech for a decade so i don't mind helping just need alittle more info.first ten digits of the vin tell everything about the truck.

IMPATIENT 1
09-22-2005, 01:31 PM
we can replaced just the sender unit in cases like this.if you've kept up with fuel filter services,your pump is probally ok,just needs a new sender.sender is @110.00 and 2.5hrs labor to replace.if you need part# let me know.

pjones
09-22-2005, 01:40 PM
we can replaced just the sender unit in cases like this.if you've kept up with fuel filter services,your pump is probally ok,just needs a new sender.sender is @110.00 and 2.5hrs labor to replace.if you need part# let me know.
MY truck is a 98 Sierra 1500 btw.
The dealer covered the fuel pump under warranty...@ 39k...
How does GM warranty their warranty work?
PJ

pjones
09-22-2005, 01:42 PM
wait for the recall on the sender, coming soon.
WW, check your PMs :D
Appreciate the heads up...It's a 98 1500..If it matters...
Thanks.

TOBTEK
09-22-2005, 01:44 PM
just buy a new truck.........repairs are for the birds :rollside:
thanks for returning my calls.......you pickle snif'er :notam:

Kachina26
09-22-2005, 01:46 PM
if it has the flex fuel engine it might be the strainer clogged.i've been doin alot of them lately! look at your 8th digit on your vin and holla back.the pump
is around 400.00.the labor hrs. shouldn't be anymore than 3hrs with diagnostics performed.does it run outta gas around the 1/4 mark?
i've been a gm master tech for a decade so i don't mind helping just need alittle more info.first ten digits of the vin tell everything about the truck.
I'm pretty sure flex fuel was only available on the 5.3's since 2002, I could be wrong. But that would be a rarity :D

Sleek-Jet
09-22-2005, 01:49 PM
If you have access to a lift, you can change it fairly painlessly... un-bolt the bed and, using the lift, pick the bed up off the frame. Then you have access to the top of the tank. It's a hell of alot easier than dropping a half-full fuel tank. :D

IMPATIENT 1
09-22-2005, 01:49 PM
MY truck is a 98 Sierra 1500 btw.
The dealer covered the fuel pump under warranty...@ 39k...
How does GM warranty their warranty work?
PJ
It really depends on if they done it under the 3yr/36k mile warranty.in this situation they won't cover it with over 40k.if you paid for the pump @39k mile then it'll be covered lifetime parts and labor.the 98's wore out the little "fingers"that slide along the resistor card.still @110.00 for the sender and @2.5hrs labor.gm has a "goodwill policy"that most peeps don't know about.this allows dealers to cover vehicles purchased from them and allow them to occasionally cover some repairs under warranty up to 50k.it always pays to have your service work done at the dealer you bought it from.i'll only use this goodwill policy for my customers that purchase vehicles from me and service it here as well.keeps my customer returning and makes great relations between customer and employees.

IMPATIENT 1
09-22-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm pretty sure flex fuel was only available on the 5.3's since 2002, I could be wrong. But that would be a rarity :D
might be right, you doin alot of the strainers too?

Kachina26
09-22-2005, 01:53 PM
might be right, you doin alot of the strainers too?
No, we see more pump failures than anything. Plus, if I'm gonna pull the tank for a fuel delivery issue, then it's getting a pump. With my luck, the pump would fail within the next 12 months or 12k miles and I would be doing it for warranty money the next time. Not to mention the customer would think I hosed them the first time around. Not worth it.

IMPATIENT 1
09-22-2005, 01:56 PM
No, we see more pump failures than anything. Plus, if I'm gonna pull the tank for a fuel delivery issue, then it's getting a pump. With my luck, the pump would fail within the next 12 months or 12k miles and I would be doing it for warranty money the next time. Not to mention the customer would think I hosed them the first time around. Not worth it.
i feel ya, but our dm said strainers only if warranty. if it's customer pay than it gets a module so the cust. gets the lifetime warranty.

WetWillie
09-22-2005, 02:00 PM
I allready approved it. Dummy me called another dealer. They all read from the same book!
Truck was just picked up as I bought another company that had 7 vehicals.
I have no service records.
Got a few PM now I know why you Chevy guys have all the trick boats. .5 hrs to do this and get paid for 3 Damnmmmmm you guys! :cry:
I could have probably hit it with a screw driver and it would have started working!! Ball bearings its all ball bearings now (Fletch)
Toby you are a huge Pickle swollower... Show us your rims and then I will call you! :rolleyes:

BarryMac
09-22-2005, 02:07 PM
WW, maybe you need another truck, I have a really nice '01 2500HD for sale... :cool: :D :D :cool:

Kachina26
09-22-2005, 02:10 PM
gets the lifetime warranty.We participate in the lifetime warranty program. Except for the delco parts that have it.

Kachina26
09-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Got a few PM now I know why you Chevy guys have all the trick boats. .5 hrs to do this and get paid for 3 Damnmmmmm you guys! :cry:
Well, when GM pays you .3 of an hour to do a job that takes 45 minutes, you gotta make it up somewhere :D

ROZ
09-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Are you saying he is a large fellow who sniffs pickles, or a fellow who sniffs large pickles... :notam: :D

TOBTEK
09-22-2005, 02:19 PM
I allready approved it. Dummy me called another dealer. They all read from the same book!
Truck was just picked up as I bought another company that had 7 vehicals.
I have no service records.
I could have probably hit it with a screw driver and it would have started working!! Ball bearings its all ball bearings now (Fletch)
Toby you are a huge Pickle swollower... Show us your rims and then I will call you! :rolleyes:
"IF" ONE OF YOUR CARS WILL MAKE IT ALL THE WAY TO SAN MARCOS, I'll EVEN give you ONE beer.....come over and check out the new CASA and Rhino Rims..... We Need to talk about your shock needs...... CAll me soon you BUTT PIRATE :hammerhea

ROZ
09-22-2005, 02:28 PM
Offer him a beer AND pickle... He'll be over in 10 minuites...:D

PHOTOGLOU
09-22-2005, 02:40 PM
I can do it for $ 675 part is $550 labor $125 let me know

WILDERTHANU
09-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Do it yourself, I did one before, no trouble at all.

IMPATIENT 1
09-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Do it yourself, I did one before, no trouble at all.
it's really not all that bad as long as you have alittle wrench experience.if they're charging you 5hrs labor,your being bent over your truck!chilton labor time guide is nation wide and it says charge 2.5hrs.ask to see their labor guide and i'll bet they back down the labor.i charge 3hrs including filter replacement and can do the work in @35-40mins total in & out.again i'm at gm dealership and we're held to book time. :idea:

WILDERTHANU
09-22-2005, 04:35 PM
Thats what I'm sayin. I do all my own work. They get you these days anywhere you go. I dont even let 'em change my oil, I mean c'mon how long does that take. Dont even get me started on the car wash, no thanx!!

Magic34
09-22-2005, 04:43 PM
I can do it for $ 675 part is $550 labor $125 let me know
Who's in your boat in your sig below... Looks like Jack from The Box.

Sane Asylum
09-22-2005, 04:51 PM
:D :D I thought he had given kilr a ride......

Hal
09-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Like Sleek Jet said you can take the bolts out of the bed and lift it up. But you can just jack up the side above the tank about a foot and get to the top of the gas tank which is enough room get your pump out. Takes about an hour and a half for the whole job from start to finish. You know the mechanics at the dealers are doing this if they got any smarts. They are just using the flat rate book to rip you off. You can get the fuel pump at auto zone for about $ 350.00.

WetWillie
09-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Just got the call now there talking about replacing my CAT. Did some mesurment on back pressure and it at 3 to 5 pounds. Borderline??
Catalitic is $1500 :cry:
I need an enima... Help anyone want to do it and cut the dealer out! :rolleyes:

IMPATIENT 1
09-23-2005, 09:07 AM
Just got the call now there talking about replacing my CAT. Did some mesurment on back pressure and it at 3 to 5 pounds. Borderline??
gm warranty policy covers convertors up to 8yr/80k miles
that's was what was wrong with it from the getgo! convertors being clogged will fell like a pump pressure problem.i'd make them refund the pump costs.
if your truck is less than 8yrs old and less than 80k miles call 1-800-762-3743
this is gm roadside ass. and they'll help ya.that shop is ****ing ya bro!they didn't do a correct diagnosis on it and now they're scrambling to hide that from you!!!i can get you a copy of the 8yr/80k warranty for your truck,pm me the vin and a fax #.i'd also report them to better business so it doesn't happen to someone else.these kinds of situations are what give my profession a bad rep.

Just Tool'n
09-23-2005, 09:12 AM
To check fuel pump amprage draw, to see if you have a bad compentator on the motor, or see if the pump is cavitating, or not deliverying enough volume, check with a fuel pressure gauge, & use a low amps probe around the wires going to the pump in the tank, in conjuction with a lab scope.
When you turn the key on, look at the ramp up & time of the pump & the amprage draw on the scope, the longer the ramp up time, the weaker the pump, plus a weak pump will draw more amprage to build pressure the system needs to operate correctly.
Look at this also across the entire RPM range, is it good till 3000 RPM?, then it starts going bad. Did you change the fuel filter first & foremost, as higher RPM, a plugged filter could cause your lean condition, or hamper the flow of fuel, it's the one thing people tend to forget to change.
Hope this helps.

voodoomedman
09-23-2005, 09:14 AM
gm warranty policy covers convertors up to 8yr/80k miles
that's was what was wrong with it from the getgo! convertors being clogged will fell like a pump pressure problem.i'd make them refund the pump costs.
if your truck is less than 8yrs old and less than 80k miles call 1-800-762-3743
this is gm roadside ass. and they'll help ya.that shop is ****ing ya bro!they didn't do a correct diagnosis on it and now they're scrambling to hide that from you!!!i can get you a copy of the 8yr/80k warranty for your truck,pm me the vin and a fax #.i'd also report them to better business so it doesn't happen to someone else.these kinds of situations are what give my profession a bad rep.
Where does all this extra warranty stuff come into play. Aren't Chevy's only 3 year 36,000 mile warranty?

IMPATIENT 1
09-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Where does all this extra warranty stuff come into play. Aren't Chevy's only 3 year 36,000 mile warranty?
that's just the bumper to bumper warranty.pcm and emmission equipment warranties are regulated by the epa.most brands go 8/80 on these items.
wetwillie,most exhaust shops only charge @150 for this type of convertor.no reason to replaced both convertors if only one is bad.you've already spent enough there, ask which convertor(lh or rh)is bad and replace that one.gm convertors come a y-pipe assemblly and are expensive!!!!i send the customers that are out the 8yr/80kmile range to a local muffler shop.i live in a small town and word of mouth is were my rep comes from.keeps customers returning and trusting in me!

76ANTHONY
09-23-2005, 09:32 AM
ok this could be a couple things, if you vehicle runs rich it will take out the cat conv. it will also seem that the fuel pump is bad because of flood condition. this is a dealership you have it at? i'd be talking to the service manager. and hell yeah the converters are warrantied 8-80. tell them you want the fuel pressure readings. im sorry i havent kept up with this thread, and someone may have said all this. remember they get commission on parts and labor. i dont want to give dealerships a bad name at all, i've worked for chevy for ten years. just my .02 :clover:

Kachina26
09-23-2005, 01:43 PM
Stop now!!!! If the fuel pump didn't fix it, then get your money back! Bring it to me. I will get it right and you're only gonna pay for the repair that fixes the problem. 3 psi backpressure is acceptable BTW. Get out of that shop now.

IMPATIENT 1
09-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Like Sleek Jet said you can take the bolts out of the bed and lift it up. But you can just jack up the side above the tank about a foot and get to the top of the gas tank which is enough room get your pump out. Takes about an hour and a half for the whole job from start to finish. You know the mechanics at the dealers are doing this if they got any smarts. They are just using the flat rate book to rip you off. You can get the fuel pump at auto zone for about $ 350.00.
hey now lets remember there's alot of dealerships techs on this board!!most techs are honest,hard workin guys.the one that's workin on wetwillie's truck is inexperienced and trying to cover his ass. and jacking up the bed is ....shit if ya got a lift!i can replace this truck's pump in less than 40mins on my lift,if the parts are in frt. of me.if i was inexperienced and it took me 7hrs to do it then that book that you said rips people off would have protected you from paying 7hrs instead of the book time 2.5-3hrs.that book is there for the customer to get a fair estamite.i've broken off exhaust manifold bolts in the head and it took me 3hrs to repair,but book time to replace man. was 1.2hrs.so that's what that customer was quoted and charged.know what your talking about before talking shit! :argue:

Kachina26
09-23-2005, 03:15 PM
You know the mechanics at the dealers are doing this if they got any smarts. They are just using the flat rate book to rip you off. You can get the fuel pump at auto zone for about $ 350.00.
I can have the tank laying on the ground before you can figure out where all the bed bolts, ground straps and chassis wiring is.(seriously, I had one down in 5 minutes yesterday) The flat rate guide is just that, a guide. I do plenty of jobs for less than what the guide calls for, and some for more. Plus, you can't beat having the car diagnosed and repaired right the first time. Sounds like if WW had put the pump in himself, he would be out the pump and an afternoon worth of sweat with nobody to blame for the misdiagnosis. Yes, there are rip off artists out there, but I believe that most of these situations like what WW is experiencing are due to incompetence. BTW, I don't think you can get the fuel pump modules at autozone yet. I could be wrong though.

Steamin' Rice
09-23-2005, 03:53 PM
:D :D :D
http://www.scopeinfo.com/images/2005-Poker-Run/Heli-2/2005-SCOPE-342.jpg

WetWillie
09-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Front brakes - $300
Oil change - $26
Fuel filter - $90
Transmittion flush - $130
Brake flush - $130
Coolant flush - $130
Power steering flush - $150
Fuel injection, air intake,
Throttle body service - $275
This ECONO van has 56k miles on it and has just had the oil changes done.
Should I cut bait and run. I need a good shop in Sna Diego I can trust. I have 16 vehicles to maintain..

Kachina26
09-24-2005, 02:59 PM
Front brakes - $300 About right
Oil change - $26 Good price
Fuel filter - $90 Seems high, but I don't know ford prices we're $50ish on Gas filters
Transmittion flush - $130 I don't believe in flushes, just fluid and filter changes
Brake flush - $130 little high , too low mileage for this
Coolant flush - $130 very high
Power steering flush - $150 I don't believe in these especially at that mileage
Fuel injection, air intake,
Throttle body service - $275 too high.
This ECONO van has 56k miles on it and has just had the oil changes done.
Should I cut bait and run. I need a good shop in Sna Diego I can trust. I have 16 vehicles to maintain.. Time to shop for a shop. Did they get your truck squared away?

BajaMike
09-24-2005, 03:08 PM
I just had the fuel pump replaced on my chevy....he said it should put out about 15 lbs of pressure, mine was at about 5 lbs & running badly at low rpm. My truck has 240,000 miles, and this is the first time i replaced the fuel pump.
Also replaced an oxygen sensor, lube, oil filter, $750, at a shop in San Clemente, where I have taken it for years, and i trust them.
:hammer2: :hammerhea :eat:

WetWillie
09-25-2005, 09:05 AM
Truck is still there and they want to drive it a couple of days to try and diognose... Wierd was he called and said its all fixed then seemed to get cought up in his story..
Van got dropped off and the new list come at me.. Do you relly need to flush those systems?? There closed systems and I dont remmeber ever doing them on my personal cars...
SERIOUS.. Can someone recommend a shop of the 15 freeway. I have a few more trucks to service.. Most are chevys and 4 fords :messedup:

PHOTOGLOU
09-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Chip Zimmer from General Motors... On thursday before the run he was saying "I need all the safety equipment Helmet neck brace 100 MPH life jacket" on Saturday for the run he was the loudest yeller...." Go faster Go faster" pretty funny

Flying Tiger
09-25-2005, 03:18 PM
One of my 2001 Silverado trucks has a bad fuel pump. Leans out above 3000 rpms. Dealer just called and said $850 to replace it. Does this sound right? :supp:
Thanks!
If the dealer doesn't instaling it right, they will have to drop the tank again and re-attach the vent tube, because most likely the dealer didn't install it right becaue they didn't use the proper tool.
GM truck fuel pumps suffer from a bad check valve,, and no improvement is seen in the new ones.
When Toyota builds a 3/4 ton,, it'll be our next truck

IMPATIENT 1
09-26-2005, 12:32 PM
Truck is still there and they want to drive it a couple of days to try and diognose... Wierd was he called and said its all fixed then seemed to get cought up in his story..
Van got dropped off and the new list come at me.. Do you relly need to flush those systems?? There closed systems and I dont remmeber ever doing them on my personal cars...
SERIOUS.. Can someone recommend a shop of the 15 freeway. I have a few more trucks to service.. Most are chevys and 4 fords :messedup:
these guys wouldn't be in the biz long here.no the services aren't needed!the trans. flush,fuel filter,rotate,oil change are the only things it may need.other than brakes or the occassonal leak ,can't see what else it could need with that miles.i recommend doing trans. flushes every 30-40k depending on conditions the rig's use(heat,dusty roads,etc.).fuel filters every 15k just because its cheap protection for fuel pump life. i manage the local postal office grumman fleet and this is what i recommend for them.they're always starting and stopping.tranny flushes are recommended because little shift valves and solenoids can get stuck and cause slippage,and trans fluid takes in alot of heat and breaks down.just good "preventive maintence". :clover:

IMPATIENT 1
09-26-2005, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=Flying Tiger]If the dealer doesn't instaling it right, they will have to drop the tank again and re-attach the vent tube, because most likely the dealer didn't install it right becaue they didn't use the proper tool.
GM truck fuel pumps suffer from a bad check valve,, and no improvement is seen in the new ones.
When Toyota builds a 3/4 ton,, it'll be our next truck[/QUOT
99-05 gm fuel pumps only have @ 3 conditions that i normally repair.
#1 fuel pump micron strainers clogged(strainers were doing to good a job!so gm bulletins tell me)
#2 fuel level sender failure(i see this everyday!contacts on resistor card wear out)(ps this can be fixed without fuel pump replacement!don't get conned into replaceing the whole pump module by the shop)
#3 people not changing the 15.00 fuel filter!
#3 is what i see the most.it's always funny when the customer says" i just replaced the filter last week but ya can't blow 140psi threw it?" :hammerhea

beyondhelpin
09-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Just replaced the sending unit on a 2000 Chevy I am selling. You mean I did not have to replace the sending unit? Could I have just fixed the contacts?
I removed the bed to replace mine. Buy or rent the right tools to remove the lines. Pretty easy.
PS The new 2005 I just bought has already had the sending unit and or pump replaced. Ran out of gas with less than 1000 miles on it. :confused:

a catered life
09-27-2005, 06:45 AM
well at least you only had one to replace did the astro van last month and tahoe was last week :notam: :(