PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbolt V Ignition ??

KTM
05-09-2002, 12:27 PM
I've called at least 15 dealers on this question and none of them can give me an answer.
Question is on a 454, carb. setup with thunderbolt V ignition, how to you get to go past the preset rev limiter set at 4600 rpm?
1. Do they sell a higher chipset?
2. Will the boat start and run if I unhook the factory chip?
Everyone I've called says(I really don't know). I would like to spin this thing to at least 4900-5000.

Chillin The Most
05-09-2002, 12:49 PM
When you find out the answer let me know. Originally posted by KTM:
I've called at least 15 dealers on this question and none of them can give me an answer.
Question is on a 454, carb. setup with thunderbolt V ignition, how to you get to go past the preset rev limiter set at 4600 rpm?
Everyone I've called says(I really don't know). I would like to spin this thing to at least 4900-5000.

Tee
05-09-2002, 01:01 PM
KTM,
I had this same issue back in '99. Ended up converting to a Thunderbolt IV which has the rev limiter separate and I ran without one. I now run an MSD though.------- T

Chillin The Most
05-09-2002, 03:38 PM
KTM,
I got your e-mail and wasn't trying to be smart about my reply to you, Its just that I to would like to know the answer to your question.
Be patient their are alot of knowledgable people here on this forum that now run MSD ignition, so before MSD they had to go down the same road as you. You'll get your answer, sometimes it just takes a day or two for the right people to get back on the puter.
Originally posted by KTM:

KTM
05-11-2002, 06:50 AM
^

Strictly Verboten
05-11-2002, 10:05 AM
>>>KTM,
I had this same issue back in '99. Ended up converting to a Thunderbolt IV which has the rev limiter separate and I ran without one. I now run an MSD though.------- T<<<
Did the TBIV plug directly into the factory harness, or were modifications required?
TIA, Wayne