PDA

View Full Version : Livin' in AZ

Magic34
09-22-2005, 02:58 PM
With all the damn hurricanes, I'm glad I'm in AZ. I can handle the heat, but there are no hurricanes, no tornados, no earthquakes, no tsunami threat.... just hot as hell for 6-8 weeks before the monsoon cools it down to just really hot. The natural disasters are almost, well we just don't have them.

Boatcop
09-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Hurricane Nora came up through the Gulf of California several years ago. Dropped a ton of rain and washed out a lot of the towns of Wenden and Aguila. (No big loss, if you ask me.)
Maybe not on the scale of Katrina or Rita, but a Hurricane, just the same.
Give me an old fashioned SoCal Earthquake any day of the week.

totenhosen
09-22-2005, 03:03 PM
I thought AZ had some fault lines running through it???

Boatcop
09-22-2005, 03:06 PM
It does.
She's in the Governor's mansion.

Jordy
Right on the border. Ever hear that song about ocean front property in Arizona??? Yeah, that could happen. ;)
I can't think of any place I'd rather live, unless it was tropical and away from the path of any hurricanes or tropical storms. ;)

Mike.A
Your telling me. We almost moved to Galvastan about 5 years ago, thinking I made the right decision not to. I'll take the heat wave over a tidle wave anytime. I dont miss the earthquakes either, grew up in SoCal and lived in Whittier when that one hit. I can do without. Lived in Maryland for the 92 Blizzard, lived in Denver for the 03 Blizzard. I am just fine when it hits 115 here. ;)

Magic34
09-22-2005, 03:08 PM
It does.
She's in the Governor's mansion.
LMAO. Ain't that the truth. I heard it wasn't a she though.

JackieV
09-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Your telling me. We almost moved to Galvastan about 5 years ago, thinking I made the right decision not to. I'll take the heat wave over a tidle wave anytime. I dont miss the earthquakes either, grew up in SoCal and lived in Whittier when that one hit. I can do without. Lived in Maryland for the 92 Blizzard, lived in Denver for the 03 Blizzard. I am just fine when it hits 115 here. ;)
Will you be joining us in Phoenix tomorrow? :smile:

Magic34
09-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Hurricane Nora came up through the Gulf of California several years ago. Dropped a ton of rain and washed out a lot of the towns of Wenden and Aguila. (No big loss, if you ask me.)
Maybe not on the scale of Katrina or Rita, but a Hurricane, just the same.
Maybe I should say the middle of AZ.
The only disaster that hey really model out from what I know is a dma like Roosevelt Dam being destroyed and the flood waters coming down through town. I am within 5-7 miles of the Salt River's edge in Mesa. That's it, I'm moving to the top of Camelback with an anti lightning device on my house.

Boatcop
09-22-2005, 03:16 PM
I have a computer model of what would happen if the Colorado River Dams were to be destroyed or otherwise fail.
Where I live, in the Town of Parker, Hoover, Davis AND Parker Dams would have to fail in order to get my feet wet.
Those right on the River are screwed if any ONE of them goes out. (You listening Keyes?)
I'll see if I can dig up a failure analysis report for Pleasant, and the Salt River Dams.

Mike.A
09-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Will you be joining us in Phoenix tomorrow?
I wish, I am short handed in the office and am trying to get some bids done :mad: Will be working late, Thanks for the invite though, Sounds like I will be missing on Jordy's generousity this time arround. :cry:

Magic34
09-22-2005, 03:25 PM
I have a computer model of what would happen if the Colorado River Dams were to be destroyed or otherwise fail.
Where I live, in the Town of Parker, Hoover, Davis AND Parker Dams would have to fail in order to get my feet wet.
Those right on the River are screwed if any ONE of them goes out. (You listening Keyes?)
I'll see if I can dig up a failure analysis report for Pleasant, and the Salt River Dams.
My mom did that CERT thing for the city of Chandler, and this was what she was told, but I could see them going a little over the top on the scare factor. I personally don't see how all that water stretched out would make that river 5 miles wide, but I do see Tempe as having some issues if the dams of the SRP were destroyed.

Chico&Zeus
09-22-2005, 03:41 PM
at least Hooters on Mill would be safe, it's on the second floor, they could put in docks and we could cruise right up!

Jordy
09-22-2005, 03:45 PM
at least Hooters on Mill would be safe, it's on the second floor, they could put in docks and we could cruise right up!
I hear they were talking about that, but it would be for custom boats only. ;)

Chico&Zeus
09-22-2005, 03:51 PM
maybe I could hitch a ride with you,......looking for a bb? :hammerhea

Jordy
09-22-2005, 03:53 PM
maybe I could hitch a ride with you,......looking for a bb? :hammerhea
Mine's far from custom. It's all white and there are a few of them out there. Guess I'll just have to use the swim up bar. ;) :D

Ziggy
09-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Me too!!!!..........
and it makes our cows happy too :p :p :p

2Driver
09-22-2005, 04:22 PM
I was asleep in our mobile at Moonridge (Parker dam) in 99 when that 7.x hit palm desert/ yucca valley. I thought someone had hooked up the mobile and was towing 60 MPH down a dirt road. Our friends pool in Phoenix had the water splashing out of it and had some damage. :jawdrop:
Wierd, who of thought? Fun ride

Magic34
09-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Just thought this should be some good info to help state my case.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/386eq924.jpg

Jordy
09-23-2005, 03:35 PM
You're preaching to the choir here. :D

PHX ATC
09-23-2005, 08:37 PM
What's a chior, Jordy? :rollside:
One word for Magic34..........snakes. :smile:

unleashed
09-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Im definitly moving to Arizona when I can't afford the Seal Beach area anymore....I just dread the heat though. Its nice to live in 75 degree weather year round.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

BigDogIvan
09-23-2005, 09:15 PM
I was asleep in our mobile at Moonridge (Parker dam) in 99 when that 7.x hit palm desert/ yucca valley. I thought someone had hooked up the mobile and was towing 60 MPH down a dirt road. Our friends pool in Phoenix had the water splashing out of it and had some damage. :jawdrop:
Wierd, who of thought? Fun ride
I remeber that night. I woke to the virticle blinds swaying and the dogs barking and the bed shaking. Been MAANNYY years since I felt an eath quake. Was a little freaky.
BD

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-23-2005, 10:34 PM
What's a chior, Jordy? :rollside:
One word for Magic34..........snakes. :smile:
You aint lying about snakes. One rolled out from the bushes last week at saguaro and it was a rattler :eek: :eek: :eek: I was ready to roll out after that! Then it hit the water and cruised across the lake like nothing was going on!!!!! F**k that!!! I love az(born and raised) but I hate snakes with teeth,venom,fangs,and muscular power!!!! gardner and red rasers are the only cool snakes in my book!

Magic34
09-24-2005, 07:38 AM
You aint lying about snakes. One rolled out from the bushes last week at saguaro and it was a rattler :eek: :eek: :eek: I was ready to roll out after that! Then it hit the water and cruised across the lake like nothing was going on!!!!! F**k that!!! I love az(born and raised) but I hate snakes with teeth,venom,fangs,and muscular power!!!! gardner and red rasers are the only cool snakes in my book!
I almost stepped on one at Saguaro a few years back. We spent the night at the back beach on the boat and when I woke up in the morning, I had to take a piss so I went to walk behind a bush and right there in the path was a 3' rattle snake. I was within 1' of it. The beach had about 10 other boats already, and I was screaming like a little bitch. So 2 guys go loking for it, 1 with a 9MM (good luck buddy) and the other must have been Saguaro Lake crocidile hunter. This frickin guy caught the thing with his hands. Oh, by the way, they couldn't find it again, so I went to look and guess what, I found it again, screaming like a little bitch part 2 took place.
They killed it by cutting off the head and rattle.
This was about 9:15 AM and I didn't actually piss until 2 PM that day. I was scared to get off the damn boat.
So part of my AZ rule, stay on the boat and live in town. None of that desert living, need to be away from people sh*t for me.

Cole Trickle
09-24-2005, 08:06 AM
I have debated moving to AZ for a little over a year now.We were really considering it last July but the housing market took a little bit of a hit here and I knew I would be better off waiting to sell.
The girlfriend and I actually went out for a weekend and looked at houses all over the Phoenix area.(Goodyear,Chandler,Gilbert,Power ranch,etc...) We really liked the Chanler are as it kind of felt like home.We also liked that new community out in Power Ranch but the drive to anything was kind of far and the neighboring community and the weird barricks place kind of chased us off.
If you phoenix experts were going to recomend a place to look for a younger couple (29 and 25) to live where you could get a decent size house with a 3 car garage for around 350K where would you point them?I would probably put 100K down and then put 40-50K into the back yard pretty quickly.
My 500K 2br condo and it's $4500 property tax bill has me thinking it's time to move again.
Brandin

Havasu_Dreamin
09-24-2005, 08:17 AM
My 500K 2br condo and it's $4500 property tax bill has me thinking it's time to move again.
Brandin
Unless I'm mistaken, AZ does not have a proposition 13 like CA and therefore it is conceivable your property taxes could be higher. Probably unlikely, but certainly a possibility with no caps in place.

Mike.A
09-24-2005, 08:30 AM
Cole Trickle,
Might want to look N.W up at Surprise. There are still some pretty good deals up here and its closer to Lake Pleasant & Havi.

Boatcop
09-24-2005, 08:31 AM
If you phoenix experts were going to recomend a place to look for a younger couple (29 and 25) to live where you could get a decent size house with a 3 car garage for around 350K where would you point them?I would probably put 100K down and then put 40-50K into the back yard pretty quickly.
The West Valley (Buckeye, Avondale, Glendale) is growing prettty steadily. New developments going in all the time. Those areas are all connected to Central Phoenix by freeways, and anyone used to SoCal communtes wouldn't mind these one bit. Peoria is also booming, but a little too close to Sun City for younger folks.
You could also look up in the North corridor (Anthem, Cave Creek) for reasonable housing.
The only problem I see with most of the new developments is a lack of privacy and no back yards to speak of. They try to put as many homes as possible into the development area, so that you're house is only about 10 feet from your neighbor's house, and the back yards are little more than a dog run.

Magic34
09-24-2005, 08:42 AM
The only problem I see with most of the new developments is a lack of privacy and no back yards to speak of. They try to put as many homes as possible into the development area, so that you're house is only about 10 feet from your neighbor's house, and the back yards are little more than a dog run.
He is coming from CA. It'll be just like home, only cheaper and the house will be bigger.

Mike.A
09-24-2005, 08:45 AM
You could also look up in the North corridor (Anthem, Cave Creek) for reasonable housing.
Last time I looked in Anthem & Cave Creek you couldnt get much for 350,000.00 & a co worker is up there and the drive on I-17 is going to be getting worse before it gets better.
Goodyear & Estrella Mtn are nice also, Buckeye is a little too far out for me but there are some good deals out there. Wittman (spelling?) is also a fast growing area and I hear there are some pretty good size lots with the houses for a fair price.

Magic34
09-24-2005, 08:46 AM
I have debated moving to AZ for a little over a year now.We were really considering it last July but the housing market took a little bit of a hit here and I knew I would be better off waiting to sell.
The girlfriend and I actually went out for a weekend and looked at houses all over the Phoenix area.(Goodyear,Chandler,Gilbert,Power ranch,etc...) We really liked the Chanler are as it kind of felt like home.We also liked that new community out in Power Ranch but the drive to anything was kind of far and the neighboring community and the weird barricks place kind of chased us off.
Brandin
The zip code you like is 85248 (Chandler). I am in 85213 that is Northeast Mesa and 85205, 85207 (I think) is nice as well in this area. I think 85207 is the Las Sendas area in Northeast Mesa. That is a nice area and about 12-15 minutes from a local lake (Saguaro) Freeway system comes right through there. You should plan on more like a $400k price range right now.
Do a search with the zip codes on realator.com and you can get an idea of what $350-$400k will get you. I'll see if I can find a zip code map and post it.
The North side of town is getting nice as well. Tatum and 101 area is really booming. I don't go to the west side much, too many shootings over there. :D

azgfboatgirl
09-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Arizona has been my home for more than 20 years. The only thing that I don't like is all the fires started when the lightning hits! :2purples:
Gotta love those Smoke Filled Skys at dusk :eek:

Jordy
09-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, AZ does not have a proposition 13 like CA and therefore it is conceivable your property taxes could be higher. Probably unlikely, but certainly a possibility with no caps in place.
You'd have to buy a multi-million dollar house to spend $4500 a year in property tax. Mine is only in the $1100 neighborhood. Started off around $700 a year when I bought this place 5 years ago.
BC, Cave Creek and reasonable housing??? Surely you're joking. :D :D :D

Jordy
09-24-2005, 08:51 AM
The only thing that I don't like is all the fires started when the lightning hits!
I like the fires. Then again, I do all the generators for the forest service air tanker bases and the fire base camps. :D
Oh, and I'd rather see the fires started by lightning instead of by people throwing cigarettes out the window or leaving campfires burning. ;)

Magic34
09-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Here is a link of zip codes and a map for where those codes are at.
http://www.homesalenews.com/phx-zip-map.htm

2Driver
09-24-2005, 09:02 AM
We came by way of Havasu then San Diego then back to AZ via the greater Phoenix area. Been here now since 91 and enjoy it a lot.
Taxes for this are $3,200 year. and some elbow room between neighbors. But, add another few $K for new truck tranny's pulling the boat up the driveway :)
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/2789DSC_0002-med.jpg
MIght want to check some places out west in Surprise or Peoria. Lots of building out by Lake PLeasant...not sure of pricing.

azgfboatgirl
Oh, and I'd rather see the fires started by lightning instead of by people throwing cigarettes out the window or leaving campfires burning. ;)[/QUOTE]
I totally agree with that Jordy! People thorowing cigs out the windows should learn what an ash tray is. :boxed: I think all cars have one these days. :confused:

Cole Trickle
Here is a link of zip codes and a map for where those codes are at.
http://www.homesalenews.com/phx-zip-map.htm
Thanks for all the info guys.
The link posted above dosen't work for me?
I would be looking for a house built in the last 5-6 years and don't really want to go through the hassel of building.When we looked at new houses the build was contingent on me selling my house a long ass time before they were going to be finished building my new house.(I don't want to rent for 9 mo)
I have heard that the market has setteled a tad in the past couple of months?
Anybody hiring? :wink:
50-75K a year should take care of most of my needs (I need a sandrail signing bonus) :2purples:

Jordy
09-24-2005, 09:21 AM
I totally agree with that Jordy! People thorowing cigs out the windows should learn what an ash tray is. :boxed: I think all cars have one these days. :confused:
Yeah, but you don't want your car to smell like old cigarette butts though. Much better to just throw them out the window. :notam:

totenhosen
09-24-2005, 10:17 AM
I would be looking for a house built in the last 5-6 years and don't really want to go through the hassel of building.When we looked at new houses the build was contingent on me selling my house a long ass time before they were going to be finished building my new house.(I don't want to rent for 9 mo)
Anybody hiring? :wink:
50-75K a year should take care of most of my needs (I need a sandrail signing bonus) :2purples:
Look in Ahwautukee area. The west valley is too much of a bedroom community for me.

carreraelite
09-24-2005, 10:27 AM
The west valley is too much of a bedroom community for me.
:confused:

2Driver
09-24-2005, 11:29 AM
:2purples:
I keep tabs with a local realtor as we are looking to move in a bit closer. Stats are indicating big big inventory rises in the under 750K market. If I find the e-mail I post it. No more multiple offers (exceptions I'm sure) days on market are longer.

totenhosen
09-24-2005, 11:57 AM
:confused:
I'm referring more to Goodyear area etc.