PDA

View Full Version : Whipple 496 Non-supercharged Power Upgrades

Kahuna
09-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Whipple power upgrades like the Raylar kit? They have Stage 3 525 HP non-supercharged kit in the works.
whipple superchargers (http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1190)

SnakeWrench
09-23-2005, 06:08 AM
The Raylar kit is the way to go. No need to change pistons unless you go with the big cam kit. Heard nothin but good about the Raylar kit. We are going to put one together in the near future to test ourselves.

prosthogod
09-23-2005, 06:41 AM
Don't spend the money. Sell your 496 for~ 10k and have a new motor built ~20k. You'll be better off in the long run because even if you do the raylar (6k+3k=9k installed) you still only have 525hp and you still only have a 496. My .02

INSman
09-23-2005, 07:47 AM
Don't spend the money. Sell your 496 for~ 10k and have a new motor built ~20k. You'll be better off in the long run because even if you do the raylar (6k+3k=9k installed) you still only have 525hp and you still only have a 496. My .02
How about 600+ HP (Raylar) and all of the standard Merc Guardian systems still in tact that comes with the 496 ?? :idea: :supp: :D
I have (2) of these being installed early next week.

prosthogod
09-23-2005, 08:04 AM
Last time I looked and heard from Ray it was 525hp with that kit. Now if you have something different, what is the cost in total. Try and make the comparison apples to apples. All the Merc computer stuff is a load of crap because any good engine builder can give you a reliable,turn key, efi engine with more hp. And it will be a 540,548,572,575,etc. There is no excuse for C.I.

KACHINA KEN
09-23-2005, 08:06 AM
One of the hottest upgrades out there right now is called the anchor upgrade. It only costs $99 bucks! First you go to West Marine and buy a 150' spool of the 1/2 inch anchor line, then undo all plumbing and wiring on your 496ho and undo all your motor mounts and outdrive bolts. Take a 5/8 rigging shackle ( galvanized works best ) and run it through the pre maid eyeloop on the anchor line and then through the motor lift eye. The next part is a little tough and you will need a few friends, with 6 people lift the motor out and place on the floor inside boat. You may want to put around 50lbs of kitty litter type oil absorb on the ground to soak up any fluids that may leak out. Since the 496ho is now out you can replace with any other real motor you choose, you may need to use a totally different harness and move some of the plumbing though.
OK, at this point your new motor should be installed and tuned up and the 496 should still be on the floor with the 150' line attached to it. Go to your local lake and run around for a bit admiring your newfound torquemonster and it's ability to haul around it's former powerplant. After awhile you may want to take a break which is where your old motor will come in handy. Find a great cove or wherever you wish and go ahead and kill the power to your motor. With your buddies still onboard go ahead and lift the 496 ( make sure to keep your back straight ) up and unceremoniously dump it overboard. Take the other end and tie off to a front cleat or eye and relax cause your boat isn't going anywhere buddy! Revel in the jealousy all your fellow Hot Boat friends will have when they see your new anchor that never needs resetting, granted this is a one time deal since it would be way to hard to pull her up again but if you have had any experiences with the 496 like i have had it is totally worth it.

KACHINA KEN
09-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Last time I looked and heard from Ray it was 525hp with that kit. Now if you have something different, what is the cost in total. Try and make the comparison apples to apples. All the Merc computer stuff is a load of crap because any good engine builder can give you a reliable,turn key, efi engine with more hp. And it will be a 540,548,572,575,etc. There is no excuse for C.I.
You mean no replacement for displacement???
:D

prosthogod
09-23-2005, 08:09 AM
One of the hottest upgrades out there right now is called the anchor upgrade. It only costs $99 bucks! First you go to West Marine and buy a 150' spool of the 1/2 inch anchor line, then undo all plumbing and wiring on your 496ho and undo all your motor mounts and outdrive bolts. Take a 5/8 rigging shackle ( galvanized works best ) and run it through the pre maid eyeloop on the anchor line and then through the motor lift eye. The next part is a little tough and you will need a few friends, with 6 people lift the motor out and place on the floor inside boat. You may want to put around 50lbs of kitty litter type oil absorb on the ground to soak up any fluids that may leak out. Since the 496ho is now out you can replace with any other real motor you choose, you may need to use a totally different harness and move some of the plumbing though.
OK, at this point your new motor should be installed and tuned up and the 496 should still be on the floor with the 150' line attached to it. Go to your local lake and run around for a bit admiring your newfound torquemonster and it's ability to haul around it's former powerplant. After awhile you may want to take a break which is where your old motor will come in handy. Find a great cove or wherever you wish and go ahead and kill the power to your motor. With your buddies still onboard go ahead and lift the 496 ( make sure to keep your back straight ) up and unceremoniously dump it overboard. Take the other end and tie off to a front cleat or eye and relax cause your boat isn't going anywhere buddy! Revel in the jealousy all your fellow Hot Boat friends will have when they see your new anchor that never needs resetting, granted this is a one time deal since it would be way to hard to pull her up again but if you have had any experiences with the 496 like i have had it is totally worth it.
LMAO!

RiverToysJas
09-23-2005, 08:19 AM
The beauty of the 496Merc is in the reliability! You sure don't read much about them breaking down, even though nearly everyone on here runs them at the high end of the RPM range - nearly all the time. I was amazed on the ADR last fall how hard everyone was running. Since I knew what most had for power, and could do simple math based on the length and weight of their boats, those motors were WORKING all the way. The only boats with hatches up, had "performance motors". Sure us 496 guys only run 70 on the big end.....but we run it season in, and season out..... ;) ......knock on wood...
I would LOVE to build a mild 540ci @ 600hp motor for my Lavey.....but I would still have the 496 sitting on a stand ready to take over should the 540 ever fail! ;) The other issue for me in upgrading HP is steering. I am at 70 with 375hp. I need hydrolic steering if I'm going to run higher speeds, like those my bottom would reach with 600hp. So that's my next upgrade...then tabs....THEN...the 540! ;) and by that time I'll be so old that I'll be ready for a pontoon boat.... :D
RTJas :D

INSman
09-23-2005, 08:20 AM
600Hp with their 106 kit, forged internals, cam, oil coolers, HP Fuel pumps and aftermarket exhaust. Working on a 750 I believe as well. I am not a Merc lover per say either nor do I love the 496, just worked for me. The dyno pulls all looked great and we will hit the water next week.

Jordy
09-23-2005, 08:24 AM
C'mon now Kenny, you have to admit, the 496 is really pretty cool, that is, if you like shit that sucks. :D :D :D

Dave C
09-23-2005, 08:25 AM
prosthogod: take notes, this guy is way more eloquent than you! LMAO!!!! :D :D :supp:
good one!

prosthogod
09-23-2005, 08:30 AM
prosthogod: take notes, this guy is way more eloquent than you! LMAO!!!! :D :D :supp:
good one!
KK is more elequent and BETTER LOOKING TOO. :D

Dave C
09-23-2005, 08:32 AM
nothing like an update to the old boat anchor bit. LOL
makes me want to ditch my box anchor. :idea:

Her454
09-23-2005, 08:40 AM
ROTFLMAO.................... Unceremoniously... thats classic.
Reminds me of some guys, and I think it was a bachelor party drunk fest at the lake a few years ago. We are all out at the Cliffs anchored off and they roll up in 60K wakeboard boat intruding on our serenity with their thump, thump speakers that could be heard in the next county :wink: ............and proceed to toss not one, but two huge rims overboard - as their anchor. :eek:
EDIT, to get Jordy off my back LOL.

Jordy
09-23-2005, 08:42 AM
KK is more elequent and BETTER LOOKING TOO. :D
He looks nothing like I expected though. :cool: :wink:

KACHINA KEN
09-23-2005, 08:48 AM
Has anyone heard anything about Whipple power upgrades like the Raylar kit? They have Stage 3 525 HP non-supercharged kit in the works.
whipple superchargers (http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1190)
Trying to get your thread back on track ( sorry for the hijack ) I think Dustin is working exclusively on getting internals together for their own SC offering as they were F'ed by Lysholm some time ago and have had a hard time since. He may or may not return your PM but you can try him under user name whipple charged

undertaker
09-23-2005, 09:49 AM
Send him a email, I emailed him a couple days ago got back to me in two days. :D Good Luck
Undertaker :cool: