PDA

View Full Version : Head Rebuild Price Question

probablecause
09-23-2005, 07:02 AM
Have a set of heads that are bare and need to be setup. Don't want/need anything fancy for my 454 (about 450 HP N.A.). Just want to know what to expect for a quote from a shop for a basic rebuild. Thanks. Brendan

MikeF
09-23-2005, 04:07 PM
Call a few shops in your area and see what they say.
Quite a few years ago I had Bob McKray do a valve job on the heads I have for approx $500 if I remember right. He is located in Mission Viejo on Via Fabricante.
If you have all old stuff on the heads....definatley replace the springs and the exhaust valves! Those can make a mess of the engine if something goes wrong w/ them.

MESA BALANCING
09-25-2005, 08:22 AM
It's important if you're going to redo the heads to give the shop all the information on hte cam you're going to run to make sure the spring press valve to guide clearance and retatiner to seal or guide clearance is good . You shouldn't pay any more than $400 dollars for a multy angle valve job and machining and installing guides and that should include the magnetic particle inspection and the surfacing if the heads are in good shape . Good luck Laz Mesa

FASTRAT
09-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Have a set of heads that are bare and need to be setup. Don't want/need anything fancy for my 454 (about 450 HP N.A.). Just want to know what to expect for a quote from a shop for a basic rebuild. Thanks. Brendan
Brendan...
what sz valves do the heads take?...i may be able to help u out on valves/springs (new)...let me know
fastrat

shaun
09-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Call a few shops in your area and see what they say.
Quite a few years ago I had Bob McKray do a valve job on the heads I have for approx $500 if I remember right. He is located in Mission Viejo on Via Fabricante.
If you have all old stuff on the heads....definatley replace the springs and the exhaust valves! Those can make a mess of the engine if something goes wrong w/ them.
When i needed to get my heads flowed i found bob, he has my heads now.