PDA

View Full Version : Berk intake installation$$$$?????

HotDogz
09-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Just got a quote of $500-$600 to install a Berk intake in my 75 Nordic. Told me it was going to be an all day deal. Is this right? Sounds really steep to me, but I am relatively inexperienced at this jet boat restoration gig. I am repairing cracks around my intake and when I am done I want a qualified person to install my intake correctly. This is not an R&R as I will be removing the intake prior to repairing my glass. There is alot of knowledge here and just wanted to know if $500 sounds right. Been restoring my rig for over 2 years and I'm tired of people trying to rip me off.

Squirtcha?
09-23-2005, 09:15 AM
As long as it's coming out anyway, you might want to consider setting the intake back 3" or so in the hull. It's a good mod to do and can increase performance. It gives you lots of adjustability to change the boat's ride. Once the intake is removed, it can be machined for a shoe and rideplate.
Just as an example, my top speed prior to the modification was around 76 mph. After the mod I was running a solid 80 mph.
I paid $975 to have it done to mine a couple years ago. The price they quoted you for just installing it in the stock location doesn't seem completely unreasonable considering all it entails.
Some of the guys on this board have done their own setback pumps, and have pictures of the steps they took.
Hammerdown (moderator for this message board) has done his and it turned out really well.

HotDogz
09-23-2005, 09:56 AM
I would love to set my pump back a little, but my jetjunkie budget is as thin as my knowledge in this area is right now. My only real source of dependable info is HB boards right now. I am insistant that this be done right and without any hand holding, I'm sure I would f**k something up. :D Just sounded like alot of money but I know it is really important that it is installed correctly.

old rigger
09-23-2005, 10:24 AM
hotdog,
if you can fog a mirror, you can install a stock intake set up. You'll get to know it very well removing it, so re-installing it should be a cake walk.
Pull some measurements on it now, making sure the surface where the pump mounts to is level with the lifting strakes, (from the rear of the boat) noting how high the front of the intake is, and making sure that it's centered in the hull. All measurements are done from the bottom, the strakes to be exact. Being stock, it'll probably be close to flush with the bottom, front and rear.
The hardest thing when installing one when your not familiar with it, is the putty. Do NOT apply the putty in little layers. You need to mix the batch all at once and set the intake, taping off nice little edges all the way around (not the back) so you have nice crisp lines. If you want to do the bottom finish work after the top kicks, that's OK, just make sure to clean off all the drippings under there before they get hard. Make sure all surfaces that the putty is going to stick to are sanded and wiped clean with acetone.
Being a Nordic, it probably was done nice the first time around so you can get a good idea by studying it what's involved. Have a little can of water handy for smoothing the putty and some acetone to clean it outa your hair, off your hands, your tools and where ever else you might get it.
Like Squirtcha said, setting an intake with a shoe and ride plate are more tricky, time consuming and so on, and that might take someone that has some experence here. But a stock set up, just jump in and do it. It's easy, fun and entertaining. lol

FASTRAT
09-23-2005, 10:57 AM
i dont know where u live in N. Cal...but...there r alot of jetboaters from up there...i'm sure u can get ahold of 1 of them to help u install ur grate for the cost of beer!..a little patience & help & u can do it
fastrat

spectratoad
09-23-2005, 11:06 AM
i dont know where u live in N. Cal...but...there r alot of jetboaters from up there...i'm sure u can get ahold of 1 of them to help u install ur grate for the cost of beer!..a little patience & help & u can do it
fastrat
You will get lots of good info here but like FastRat said there are a couple groups I hang out with that can get you alot of good info and are close by for a intake setting Bar-B-Que. Hope it helps. :D
Here is a couple sites:
LBBA (http://www.laidbackboaters.com/)
Banderlog (http://www.banderlog.com/phpbb/)

BrendellaJet
09-23-2005, 12:10 PM
do waht Old rigger said, also, tape off the perimeter of the intake on the glass of the boat. when you are dont smoothing the poxy putty, pull the tape, nice clean line.
Do it yourself, its easy. Just make sure you have some friends there to help out and get you anything you think you might need while you are doing it.
Definitely not an all day job.

HotDogz
09-23-2005, 01:12 PM
:D I would roll out half a cow to BBQ and a keg of beer if I thought it would bring jetboaters out to share their wealth of knowledge with me. I personally dont have any jetboat buddies. My only friend with a boat rolls around in a freakin rollbar boat. :hammer2: :yuk: J/K

SmokinLowriderSS
09-23-2005, 05:23 PM
:D I would roll out half a cow to BBQ and a keg of beer if I thought it would bring jetboaters out to share their wealth of knowledge with me. I personally dont have any jetboat buddies. My only friend with a boat rolls around in a freakin rollbar boat. :hammer2: :yuk: J/K
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. Roll-bar boats. :wink:
I have a lot of friends who are still spinning props too, but they drink my brand of beer (cold), make my brand of fruit-tray (Parrot Bay Fruit Tray), and always have Mardi-Gras beads nearby (WOOOHOOO!!!).
None of them have Roll-bar boats tho..................... :hammerhea
The folks here can help ya out with both those problems (the intake-setting and the brotherhood of the roostertail). :cool:

tahitijet
09-23-2005, 05:58 PM
I agree i set my intake and did the setback.. pieace of cake.. It is more or less an all day job. You have to be sure you have the intake set right before you put the epoxy down. It really is easy and requires nothing more then a level, tape measure, patiance and some basic supplies like tape, putty knife etc.
I'm In fresno if your near by let me know i'll help you set it

BrendellaJet
09-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Actually, if you count the time involved in measuring, leveling, measuring , leveling, measuring again...(you get the point) it might take all day. I did all of that over a couple of days. Hour here, hour there. Take your time with that part of it. Clean the bilge, do any detailing you want to do, cuz this is the time to do it.
Also, if you were contemplating spending 500-600 to do it, take that money and spend it on a shoe & ride plate or impeller detail if you dont already have them. The setback is easy too. Measure twice, cut once. Dont break out the transom. Examine the intake very carefully to see how much you can set back, keeping in mind you want the intake mating surface touching the bottom of the boat on all sides. Mark your lines and break out the jig saw. Save the piece you cut out, you will need that for filling the gap left at the front. Ill try to post some pics of how I did mine if you want.

Aluminum Squirt
09-23-2005, 06:31 PM
I drive a REAL roll bar boat, meant for protecting you from rolling over. Anyway, no real experience in glass but I do have a little jetboat experience and I'm in NorCal (Sacramento). If you get a crew together, let me know. I've got a strong back and a weak mind, I'll come over and drink some of your beer and help out-Aluminum Squirt

SmokinLowriderSS
09-23-2005, 07:01 PM
I drive a REAL roll bar boat, meant for protecting you from rolling over. Anyway, no real experience in glass but I do have a little jetboat experience and I'm in NorCal (Sacramento). If you get a crew together, let me know. I've got a strong back and a weak mind, I'll come over and drink some of your beer and help out-Aluminum Squirt
There ya go hotdogz.... another buddy with a roll-bar boat willing to come help (supervise). At least this one is a roll-bar JET. :p :)

HotDogz
09-24-2005, 06:09 AM
Aluminum squirt and Tahitijet, you guys are solid for offering to help an unknown such as myself. But I am still a good 2 1/2 hour drive from ya both (1 way), I am in Windsor, Sonoma County. Everybody who responded to my plea for knowledge made me feel like I can do it so I am going to give it my best shot. In a week or two I am going to glass my bilge area and then reset my intake. (after some serious research)
Its amazing what kind of help one can garnish on these boards, you guys are great.
This is what Ive been working on.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2806DSC01569.JPG

fujimo
09-24-2005, 07:11 AM
Hot boat had a pretty good article on a setback install last winter.it would be a good read before you do it. I,m getting ready to reset one,and install another pretty soon. Roy