PDA

View Full Version : 1979 Super beetle conv.

Cole
09-23-2005, 10:20 AM
I found in the Pennysaver a 79 VW conv't for $1500.00. :D So I looked at it this morning and it needs a major redo, as expected...It will need paint, interior, top, engine he said is fine. I love doing projects like this but the problem is there is some rust...quite a bit behind the seats and floor boards. Should I buy a car with some rust and have it fixed or pass and find something more solid???

Boatcop
09-23-2005, 10:32 AM
It depends on how bad the rust is, and to what extent the cancer has spread.
If you're handy with a welder, floor boards are a cinch to install. Easier with the body off. Check the floor pans real good. a little surface rust is no problem, and some cancer under the battery is pretty much expected. There are pieces to replace just that section, a quarter pan, or the entire half.
Don't rely on your eyes to judge the extent of rust. A lot of corrosion could be camouflaged by interior carpet or undercoating. Bang the hell out of them with a hammer.
$1,500 isn't too bad a price for a '79 vert, although if it requires a ton of work, and you find metal areas that need to be replaced, I'd try and shave a few hundred off.

Cole
09-23-2005, 10:58 AM
He has already said he would take $1300.00 :D
But the rust is pretty bad....I crawled under the bug and you can put your fist through the floor boards. BUT.... that is all that I was able to find! Everything else looks pretty good...I know the heater rails have a tendency to rust out and they look OK..I checked NADA guide and
low $4750.00-$12,000.00 was high

Boatcop
09-23-2005, 11:05 AM
If it were me, and I was inclined to take on another Bug project, I'd probably jump on it for $1,300.
If you do get it, and need any tips (best quality suppliers, technical, etc) just let me know. Any of the mistakes you might make on it, I've already done.

ROZ
09-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Another place to check is at the front apron. Lift out the spare tire and look for major rust... Apron is an easy fix, but the spare tire well itself may be another story.... Also look at the door foward and back door jams where they meet the bottom. There can be serious problems there too... Back part of the jam is rasier to deal with, but the below the bottom hinge sucks to repair...

Norseman
09-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Check the front axle and the front axle mounts for rust too. I know it was a problem on the early ones, not sure about the late 70's cars.
I lost a battery and almost a passenger thru the floor in a 64 bug
$1300.00 is a good buy if everything other than the floors is solid!!!
Bob

Boatcop
09-23-2005, 11:18 AM
All 'Verts after 1971 are of the "Super" variety, so front axle rust won't be a factor. The apron on the Supers are separate from the spare tire well, which lays flat, although there is some tendancy to rust in there, too.

HCS
09-23-2005, 11:20 AM
Sounds like a good Baja conversion.
Throw a gear reduction VW bus transaxle in it and you'll have a good set up.

Cole
09-23-2005, 11:29 AM
I don’t know about the Baja thing.. I think I would rather go back to original...
All the doors were solid and I did look under the front lid and removed the tire, it looked fine. The motor compartment looked OK also.
Any ideas where to take this thing to fix the rust…. if I buy it???

Powerquestboy
09-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Seems like a good price if the rust isnt too bad but I would personally hold out for something 1967 or older. No plastic dash and high back seat, nicer bumpers etc IMO. The problem with old VW's is they may be worth 5 even 10 grand but only to someone that really really wants one. The pre 68 usually bring more money and are more saught after by collectors.

Boatcop
09-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Figure out what section(s) of the pan need to be replaced. Buy the pieces yourself, and any decent welder can cut out the old section(s) and weld in new.
If you want to farm out the whole job, West Coast Classic (http://www.classicvws.com/) is THE place for VW restoration.

HCS
09-23-2005, 11:40 AM
I don’t know about the Baja thing.. I think I would rather go back to original...
All the doors were solid and I did look under the front lid and removed the tire, it looked fine. The motor compartment looked OK also.
I don't like dealing with rusted out body sections. I was able to fiberglass a floor pan one time and it worked good. Other than that I think you'd have to cut piece and weld.