PDA

View Full Version : electric or manual?

76ANTHONY
09-23-2005, 10:25 AM
ok i have a holley elec fuel pump that seems to heat up after about 20 minutes, it kills the boat and then about 3 miutes later it will run again, do i change it to manual or what??? :confused:

IMPATIENT 1
09-23-2005, 10:29 AM
i like holley blue pumps,the only probs i have with em is the occassional leaky base.have you checked your tank vent?your pump could be pulling a vacuum and heating up.worth checking out.

76ANTHONY
09-23-2005, 10:35 AM
i'll check that when i get home,thanks...

FASTRAT
09-23-2005, 10:35 AM
ok i have a holley elec fuel pump that seems to heat up after about 20 minutes, it kills the boat and then about 3 miutes later it will run again, do i change it to manual or what??? :confused:
i personally prefer the HP manual pump...alot less probs to go wrong (heating, leaking, electrical etc)...just my .02 cents
fastrat

superdave013
09-23-2005, 10:41 AM
I sell these pumps. One of these will last longer then your boat. lol
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1503big_block_chevy-med.JPG

superdave013
09-23-2005, 10:57 AM
dead heading those pumps makes them run hot. Think about it. It's filled the bowls up and now is pumping against a closed needle and seat. If you had a return style fuel system the pump would not run as hot.

IMPATIENT 1
09-23-2005, 11:08 AM
i personally prefer the HP manual pump...alot less probs to go wrong (heating, leaking, electrical etc)...just my .02 cents
fastrat
i like manual pumps too, it's just i've had a diaphram rupture on the lake and wash down some main bearing before i realized what happened.i lean towards electric from then on and it makes adjusting floats easier to me

SmokinLowriderSS
09-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Hmmmm Never had a trouble with carb adjustements, but that's just been me. My original mechanical ran from 1978 to 2002 when it got weak. $180 later, I'm in great shape. 7psi idle, between 9 and 10 WFO feeding the 700 CFM Holley
Mine looks just like that Clay Smith, but I have no recolection of what brand it is. I ordered it from a marine mail order house in OKC on the recomendation of a boat shop (they would order the same one for me, same place, and then charge their markup).

wet77
09-23-2005, 05:52 PM
dead heading those pumps makes them run hot. Think about it. It's filled the bowls up and now is pumping against a closed needle and seat. If you had a return style fuel system the pump would not run as hot.
I agree NEVER deadhead those electric pumps I killed one within 1 hour of use and after I installed a bypass regulator its worked great ever since :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-23-2005, 06:49 PM
I run mechanical edelbrock and it never skips a beat. It also feeds 2 worked over holley 750 dp's on a 12.5-1 motor;) I hate electric pumps!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-23-2005, 06:49 PM
I sell these pumps. One of these will last longer then your boat. lol
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1503big_block_chevy-med.JPG
I agree!!!!!!!!!!

jtmarten
09-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Same reason I got rid of mine and went mechanical. The Holley's aren't meant to pull the gas, but to push it. If it has to pull the gas up and out of the tank it'll overwork it and overheat. Deadheading isn't the problem. I've run a Holley elec in my Falcon for quite a while, same thing as mentioned about running in a boat - closed needle valve when the bowls are full, but no overheating because its not pulling the gas. The gas is gravity feeding from the tank.

superdave013
09-24-2005, 05:21 AM
Hmmmm Never had a trouble with carb adjustements, but that's just been me. My original mechanical ran from 1978 to 2002 when it got weak. $180 later, I'm in great shape. 7psi idle, between 9 and 10 WFO feeding the 700 CFM Holley
Mine looks just like that Clay Smith, but I have no recolection of what brand it is. I ordered it from a marine mail order house in OKC on the recomendation of a boat shop (they would order the same one for me, same place, and then charge their markup).
I think the rebuild kits are around 50 bucks or so.
It's also a little extra but these Clay Smith pumps can come with the USCG vent tube also.

FASTRAT
09-24-2005, 06:09 AM
okkkk Anthony...it seems the consenus here is to get rid of the electric pump & switch to a manual!...the name of the game is to "get in, fire it up & go have fun"...so lets get with the prog! & "go have fun"...keep the electric for a spare (in case of)...there r alot of choices out there for manuals...just pick 1 & get rid of 1 less headache to deal with!
fastrat

76ANTHONY
09-24-2005, 07:13 AM
thanks you guys, i'll be putting in a manual fuel pump this weekend and takin her out next weekend, less elec is better i guess.... :D :hammer2:

moneysucker
09-24-2005, 07:35 AM
You can use the Electric for oil changes. I have a holley blue that feeds my surge tank and i have only had one problem with it and after a on the water rebuild and cleaning out all the rubber from not cleaning the new SS lines it is still running strong. My main fuel pump though is an Enderle cam driven injection pump.

SmokinLowriderSS
09-24-2005, 03:27 PM
I think the rebuild kits are around 50 bucks or so.
It's also a little extra but these Clay Smith pumps can come with the USCG vent tube also.
Mine came with a threaded provision for the vent line. I just had to make a run to Ace (the place :rollside: ) to get an adapter fitting for the one off my old pump. :cool:
I don't think my old pump was rebuildable because the housing wasn't a "bolt-together" style deal.