PDA

View Full Version : One more time for the rook

Excessive Force
09-23-2005, 05:06 PM
i wanna register my boat in AZ. for property tax reasons and plan on keeping the trailer registered in Cali. I use it 51% of the time, or more, on the Colorado. Am i going to have a hard time w LE at local Cali. lakes? I know the laws have changed a bit......TIA :cool:

Moneypitt
09-23-2005, 05:46 PM
I think it was boatcop that posted about big changes in the out of state registration of watercraft. Seems like the cost trippled, unless you pay state withholding taxes in Az...An address won't work anymore, you have to live/work there to avoid the extreme increase....Search for boatcops thread....MP

Boatcop
09-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Only if towing an Arizona registered trailer, with a California vehicle.
State and Federal Law require that boats be registered in the "State of Principle Use" Anywhere on the Colorado is considered Arizona or the adjoining State (CA/NV/UT)
California requires its residents to register their vehicles in Ca, which includes trailers, but not boats.

JetBoatRich
09-23-2005, 07:17 PM
I registered my new boat in Nevada and trailer in California :idea: we will spend most of our time at Lake Mead or Cottonwood Cove :D

termiteguy
09-23-2005, 07:23 PM
Only if towing an Arizona registered trailer, with a California vehicle.
State and Federal Law require that boats be registered in the "State of Principle Use" Anywhere on the Colorado is considered Arizona or the adjoining State (CA/NV/UT)
California requires its residents to register their vehicles in Ca, which includes trailers, but not boats.
if i only boat in parker and store my boat there as well where should it be registured ca or az?

Kilrtoy
09-23-2005, 07:42 PM
I thought they said towing a boat with different state's letters than the boat trailer license plate was a big red flag no-no. I think it was Kilrtoy that said that, maybe I'm wrong.
HEY HEY HEY,
Come on BOB, I can call you BOB even know i know your not bob..
I did not say that...
Most city cops/sheriff's dont have a clue to the same state concept. Now our friends the CHIPPIES due....

Boatcop
09-23-2005, 08:03 PM
if i only boat in parker and store my boat there as well where should it be registered ca or az?
I'd look where you get the best deal on Registration fees.
California is actually cheaper than AZ registration. However CA DMV collects the Luxury Tax and/or won't register it until the taxes are paid.
Arizona doesn't care about the Luxury tax, but registering here is no guarantee that the County tax collector won't catch up with you. Lots of folks have had to sell their boat to pay the back taxes, interest and penalties once the County caught up with them.
And as was stated, owning property in AZ does not make one a "resident" to get the lower resident registration rates. AZGFD is cross referencing driver's licenses, tax records, etc. to make sure the residents actually ARE residents.
Always register the trailer in your home state (CA). Unless you NEVER, NOT ONCE, EVER bring the trailer into CA. Even towing it passing through, to a shop, or just down the road to Big River, may get you stopped, cited, trailer (& boat) impounded, major fines, penalties, fees, etc.

Excessive Force
09-23-2005, 09:55 PM
does anyone know if local lake LE will give me a hard time with using my boat if its registered in AZ when i use it in a cali lake?

Boatcop
09-24-2005, 06:42 AM
They shouldn't. Unless you are out there every weekend, and they see it there all the time. Then there may be some suspicions that California is the "State of Principle Use".
Arizona registered boats are on Cali lakes all the time. No hassles.

voodoomedman
09-24-2005, 07:33 AM
Arizona doesn't care about the Luxury tax, but registering here is no guarantee that the County tax collector won't catch up with you. Lots of folks have had to sell their boat to pay the back taxes, interest and penalties once the County caught up with them.
Which county tax collector would catch up???? I just don't want any surprises. Arizona doesn't have the luxury/property tax right? And since my boat was originally registered and used in Arizona since I bought it new and it is also stored at my house in Arizona then how could a California county tax collector come after me?

riverbound
09-24-2005, 07:37 AM
My boat stays in Parker 99% of the time. It only comes home (ca) for service. and It gets towed by a Ca. registered vehicle. Should I worry??