PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of renting to snowbirds, need info

Jyruiz
09-23-2005, 05:34 PM
I was wondering if anybody with a house in Havi rented to snowbirds, and if you did, how do you go about doing it? Any info would be appreciated.

TCHB
09-23-2005, 06:38 PM
It is not that hard as long as the place is furnished and clean. We have a real estate company that will handle getting snow birds. We use Brent and Michelles in Havasu.

Jyruiz
09-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Our place is fully furnished and clean. Any chance you can give me there info so I can call them up and find out more?

locogringo
09-23-2005, 07:58 PM
We have rented our house out for the last 3 years to snowbirds. Same couple actually each year. They stay for 6 months and it far exceeds the mortgage so it's even a more added perc. We are building two more houses out there right now one for the same intentions and the other to flip.
Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Jyruiz
09-23-2005, 08:24 PM
locogringo,
PM sent.

SummitKarl
09-23-2005, 08:30 PM
I was wondering if anybody with a house in Havi rented to snowbirds, and if you did, how do you go about doing it? Any info would be appreciated.
do it!!!!!!! they leave your house better than they found it, and they always seem to buy little nick nacks for it :D

Jyruiz
09-23-2005, 09:29 PM
do it!!!!!!! they leave your house better than they found it, and they always seem to buy little nick nacks for it
I think I do want to do it, I just need to know how to advertise and how much to charge. Another thing is, I want my boat to stay out there, so how would that effect the deal. Should I go thru a property management company or what?

djunkie
09-23-2005, 09:37 PM
do it!!!!!!! they leave your house better than they found it, and they always seem to buy little nick nacks for it :D
This is true. We bought our house last year and it was brand new. Rented it from Dec. 1st till the end of march. They left it so clean we couldn't even tell they had been there. Payed us more than our house payment is. Just hit up one of the real estate places out there and they handle everything.

Jyruiz
09-23-2005, 09:41 PM
Just hit up one of the real estate places out there and they handle everything.
Any real state place you would recommned?

djunkie
09-23-2005, 09:42 PM
We used McChulloch reality. But I'm sure theres others that can take care of you.

Tom Brown
09-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Rumor has it that warlock25 from the forums can recommend a good realtor. :cool:

Jyruiz
09-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Thanks Tom, I sent Warlock25 a PM.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-23-2005, 10:58 PM
keep the snowbirds in the snow!!! They are the ones that bitch and complain about stupid things....

Boatcop
09-24-2005, 06:52 AM
If you rent your house, be prepared for your property taxes to shoot up. The rate (not the amount) for rentals, even if you do it for just one weekend a year, is more than double than for primary or vacation homes.

Jyruiz
09-24-2005, 07:30 AM
If you rent your house, be prepared for your property taxes to shoot up. The rate (not the amount) for rentals, even if you do it for just one weekend a year, is more than double than for primary or vacation homes.
Holy shit, I did not know this. :eek:

Mr.Havasu
09-24-2005, 07:37 AM
I've never heard of that, but then again I'm not an accountant.

djunkie
09-24-2005, 12:16 PM
I've never heard of that, but then again I'm not an accountant.
Never heard of this either.

Ziggy
09-24-2005, 12:19 PM
I think I do want to do it, I just need to know how to advertise and how much to charge. Another thing is, I want my boat to stay out there, so how would that effect the deal. Should I go thru a property management company or what?
We advertise ours on VRBO.COM (http://www.vrbo.com)...check it out.

Mr. Pixilated
09-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Hey Carl
Are you a snow bird ????? :notam:

totenhosen
09-24-2005, 01:37 PM
I have two rentals in Phx area and never heard of that. They even send the tax bill to me in CA.

Cas
09-24-2005, 02:30 PM
we had a place in N. Lake Tahoe and all went well for a few years. Same people every year, July thru Dec. They took real good care of it until they started having marital problems (we think). All of a sudden, the rent stopped coming and complaints started from neighbors. In a 6 week period of time, they caused about $8,000.00 damage and on top of that, they moved out late one evening and took most of our furniture.
It can be a nightmare sometimes.

Boatcop
09-24-2005, 03:38 PM
I have two rentals in Phx area and never heard of that. They even send the tax bill to me in CA.
I did some checking, and the higher rate for residential rentals went out several years ago. Both rentals (class 4) and owner occupied (class 3) are assessed at 10%.
However, you must declare that the property will be rented. Income from rentals is considered just that. INCOME and is required to be reported to AZDOR. County Assessors relay the rental information to the Dept of Revenue. The owner must file AZ Income Tax information for any income derived from the rental.
Here's what it says on my Valuation Notice:
This property is classified as owner occupied residential (legal class 3). If this property is being used as a rental unit, the owner must notify the County Assessor of the rental use. Failure to do so may result in civil penalties.
Even if it's only rented for one weekend, or even one night a year, it must be declared as a rental.

lalhc
09-24-2005, 10:02 PM
You may want to check w/a property manager in town. I'm using Havasu Rentals. They take a % of the rent from you, but they protect you from liability, damage, and many other services. For me, these offerings justify their commission, especially, since I live 4 hours away from Havasu.

SummerBreeze
09-25-2005, 07:21 AM
I have a place in Havasu that is almost built and I am having Lake havasu vacation rentals setting me up with snow birds for the winter. Talk to Jeannette Clayton. I don't have the number with me but I think you can look it up on the net. Good luck

lalhc
09-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Lake Havasu Vacation Rentals
Jeannette Clayton
928-854-7800

Boatcop
09-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Just checked with the County Assessor here in Parker.
If you rent your house for less than a month at a time (ie, weekends/week, etc) you fall into the same category as Hotels/Motels, and are assessed at 25% rather than 10%.
For more than a month it's still 10%, but as I said before, there are other tax implications, and penalties if you don't inform the Assessors office.