PDA

View Full Version : Testing Elec Oil Sender

LUVNLIFE
09-23-2005, 05:50 PM
How do you correctly test an oil pressure sending unit (electric)? I got some strange readings last weekend and I think it might be the culprit. So how can I test it or do I just buy a new one and stick it on? Thanks

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-23-2005, 06:52 PM
ground the wire to the guage and it should peg 90lbs, that checks the guage. If your unsure like I was then run a short hose to a mechanical guage and back up your readings. You can remove it after you check;)

Oldsquirt
09-23-2005, 07:38 PM
.......So how can I test it or do I just buy a new one and stick it on? Thanks
Unless you have some means to apply known pressure to the sender and then measure the resistance and THEN compare it to a resistance vs pressure chart.......you should just buy a new sender. :) Make sure your sender matches the pressure range of the gauge. An 80 psi gauge will require a different sender than a 100psi gauge. If you can buy one that is the same brand as the gauge, all the better. When installing the sender avoid the temptation to wrap the threads in teflon tape. Remember, those threads are the ground path for the sender. A sparing application of teflon paste is much better.
396's suggestion to compare the electric gauge operation to a mechanical gauge is an excellent idea.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
09-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Unless you have some means to apply known pressure to the sender and then measure the resistance and THEN compare it to a resistance vs pressure chart.......you should just buy a new sender. :) Make sure your sender matches the pressure range of the gauge. An 80 psi gauge will require a different sender than a 100psi gauge. If you can buy one that is the same brand as the gauge, all the better. When installing the sender avoid the temptation to wrap the threads in teflon tape. Remember, those threads are the ground path for the sender. A sparing application of teflon paste is much better.
396's suggestion to compare the electric gauge operation to a mechanical gauge is an excellent idea.
AMEN!!! to all of the above;)