PDA

View Full Version : From the dyno...the "polygraph room"

steelcomp
09-23-2005, 08:09 PM
Here's a few pics from Westech's "polygraph" room. This is getting started. It was right about at this point when we lost power in the area for about an hour. Can't do much on a dyno without electrical power.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729westech1.jpg
Here's Steve Brule helping to get things primed and ready to fire.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729westech2.jpg
Here's the motor ready to go with Dave's test headers. We used these with the pyrometers to get a good base reading, and get the carbs dialed in.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729westech_test_headers.jpg
Here's the sheet from the best pull. I was wrong...it actually peaked out at 821 hp, and made almost 680 lbs/ft. of torque. (corrected) :D
We ran it to 7200 to see where the power would top out. You can also see here how stable the oil pressure is. This is with 8 qts.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729sweep14-2.jpg
I'm posting this as an item of interest for those of you who understand the significance of BMEP numbers. As was explained to me by Dave and Steve, numbers above 180 would have been good for this motor, 190- excellent, and 200 pretty rare to see. This number is a factor converted to resemble lbs/ft of torque per cubic inch.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729sweep14-1.jpg
Here's the measured power and Q plotted in graph form. Smooth, flat power.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729measured_q_and_hp.jpg

sdpm
09-24-2005, 06:14 AM
Hi Scott. 18.3 A/F ratio ? Little lean? :jawdrop:

Infomaniac
09-24-2005, 06:44 AM
Some might call that efficient.

sdpm
09-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Some might, but I would call that "stand clear"!! :cry:

rrrr
09-24-2005, 08:35 AM
That's some beautiful work. I appreciate you sharing with us.
Little things like the wood assembled piston rack really show you are anal retentive, er, I mean detail oriented ( J/K ). :D :D
Seriously, you did a great job, hope it works well on the water for ya. :2purples:
edit: Question. The only cooling water connections I see are the port side block drain and the intake manifold outlet. Where else is it hooked up? Is cold fresh water run through the block and dumped, or does it circulate through a heat exchanger and return to the enjum?
I know it's a dumb question but I've never been in an engine dyno room. (I did build a jet engine test cell for the Navy in the 80's. Talk about big, it could handle a GE F100-404. The air starter used 250 pounds of compressed air per minute, and the engine had a 3" fuel line.) :220v:

DeputyDawg
09-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Very nice steel. Good job my man, and good looking BMEP numbers for the little motor.

steelcomp
09-24-2005, 10:19 AM
LAMDA was disconnected for this run with my headers. We were at around 12.1:1 at max rpm.

superdave013
09-24-2005, 10:44 AM
like those cam specs! :cool:

Carnivalride
09-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Which ones the "sharpie wide point" ? Gotta keep those specs top secret. :rollside:

DeputyDawg
09-24-2005, 11:52 AM
He doesn't want anyone to know it but that custom cam is a 7/8's race cam. He decided to step it up from the 3/4 race cam he ran last year :D
j/k steel!

steelcomp
09-24-2005, 05:12 PM
C'mon, I gotta give you guys something to make fun of! :boxingguy Besides, what's in a number??!! :D

steelcomp
09-24-2005, 05:19 PM
That's some beautiful work. I appreciate you sharing with us.
Little things like the wood assembled piston rack really show you are anal retentive, er, I mean detail oriented ( J/K ). :D :D
Seriously, you did a great job, hope it works well on the water for ya. :2purples:
edit: Question. The only cooling water connections I see are the port side block drain and the intake manifold outlet. Where else is it hooked up? Is cold fresh water run through the block and dumped, or does it circulate through a heat exchanger and return to the enjum?
I know it's a dumb question but I've never been in an engine dyno room. (I did build a jet engine test cell for the Navy in the 80's. Talk about big, it could handle a GE F100-404. The air starter used 250 pounds of compressed air per minute, and the engine had a 3" fuel line.) :220v:
Thanks for the compliments. Anal retentive works. :D :notam: That piston rack was one of the best things I ever made, but not my idea. It's very handy. The cooling is in at both sides of the block at the block drain holes, and out through the thermostat housing. We ran cold water through the block to simulate lake conditions. No dumb questions, AFAIC.

Floored
09-25-2005, 09:09 AM
Remember when a BSFC under .500 was rarely seen? Good looking specs and power, Congratulations :D

INEEDAV
09-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Nice numbers and nice setup. Good work.

bruleracer
09-26-2005, 07:26 PM
I see the good stuff ,, I see the (junk) thats what i do. I have to say
not much suff comes through our shop thats as nice as steels is, a great combonation, by the way we had never met untill dyno day, (guess i'll collect
my 5 bucks for the good words next time).. saw his posts, new he had background,, what a great job, There are some days that my place is just
plane fun, Ebbert , Scott, Thanks, ,, you guys take 10 out of a 12 hour day.
Brule'

steelcomp
09-26-2005, 07:42 PM
I see the good stuff ,, I see the (junk) thats what i do. I have to say
not much suff comes through our shop thats as nice as steels is, a great combonation, by the way we had never met untill dyno day, (guess i'll collect
my 5 bucks for the good words next time).. saw his posts, new he had background,, what a great job, There are some days that my place is just
plane fun, Ebbert , Scott, Thanks, ,, you guys take 10 out of a 12 hour day.
Brule'
Thanks, Steve...(that was 10 bucks worth :D) You run a first class operation there, and it was definately a pleasure. Just, next time make sure your electric bill is paid, OK???
You and Dave crack me up. :notam: Good times, for sure. :D

bruleracer
09-26-2005, 07:52 PM
I didnt mean it took 10 hours,, those were just the ones that I completely
enjoyed, I still had 2 of getting ready for the next test, you were about 1/2
way home by then. Like I said, great bmep #,, the thing I didnt tell ya is that there about 2 higher than mine! sheat,, mine just revs higher,, seriously
i don't see many that nice,, everything, nice job,
Brule'

bruleracer
09-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Steel ,,, did ya tell um we did start with an 18 to 1 air fuel ratio!!! FOR about 2 seconds, ,,, ,,, me jerkin back,, dave tappin me on the shoulder,,, and steel sayin Whooo. Then,, we fixed IT..
Brule'

TRG
09-26-2005, 10:42 PM
I didnt mean it took 10 hours,, those were just the ones that I completely
enjoyed, I still had 2 of getting ready for the next test, you were about 1/2
way home by then. Like I said, great bmep #,, the thing I didnt tell ya is that there about 2 higher than mine! sheat,, mine just revs higher,, seriously
i don't see many that nice,, everything, nice job,
Brule'
Aw shucks! you tell that to all the boys ey?
Todd

steelcomp
09-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Steel ,,, did ya tell um we did start with an 18 to 1 air fuel ratio!!! FOR about 2 seconds, ,,, ,,, me jerkin back,, dave tappin me on the shoulder,,, and steel sayin Whooo. Then,, we fixed IT..
Brule'
I did in the "just Jets" topic (under motor pics)...and about how you saved my motor by being so heads up. Not many I know would pay that close attention, and react that quick. It was an easy fix, but could have been a melt down!! :hammer2: :D

cstraub
09-27-2005, 06:51 AM
Scott,
I love torque. I hope the power met your goal.
Chris

mrgoslow
09-27-2005, 07:32 AM
looks like those canfields and your cam selection worked well together! congrats on a successful build.

kojac
09-27-2005, 07:48 AM
Exellent work. beautiful motor. fantastic torque and horsepower numbers per cubic inch motor.
This should work very well in a jet boat.
You can build me an engine anytime.
Kojac

Bense468
09-27-2005, 04:55 PM
Good looking setup. Nice numbers...
Where is JER?

Norseman
09-27-2005, 05:54 PM
Here's the sheet from the best pull. I was wrong...it actually peaked out at 821 hp, and made almost 680 lbs/ft. of torque. (corrected) :D
We ran it to 7200 to see where the power would top out. You can also see here how stable the oil pressure is. This is with 8 qts.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729sweep14-2.jpg
I'm posting this as an item of interest for those of you who understand the significance of BMEP numbers. As was explained to me by Dave and Steve, numbers above 180 would have been good for this motor, 190- excellent, and 200 pretty rare to see. This number is a factor converted to resemble lbs/ft of torque per cubic inch.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729sweep14-1.jpg
Here's the measured power and Q plotted in graph form. Smooth, flat power.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729measured_q_and_hp.jpg
Steelcomp;
Very nice job!!!
Could you hold the the print out up to the light for me, I'm having trouble making out the camshaft specs!!! :idea: :D :D :D

steelcomp
09-27-2005, 06:22 PM
I have to give due credit to Chris Straub. (CStraub69 on the boards) I took a chance and gave him an open page to design the cam for this motor. I told him all the specifics, in detail, but I made no suggestions as to the grind. This was completely his deal, AFA cam design, and without that, this would be just another big block.
I would recommend his program to anyone looking to build good power. Exceptional power. The right cam for your specific combination will make the difference.
Thanks Chris. Awsome job. :D

sdpm
09-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Scott,
I love torque. I hope the power met your goal.
Chris
Hey Chris, does Jake still work there? Neil

revndave
09-28-2005, 05:36 AM
Nice numbers Steel.

cstraub
09-28-2005, 05:40 AM
SDPM,
Yes Jake is at the shop in Lakewood. I just do sales out of my home in TN.
Steel,
It was a team effort. You gave me the information I needed. Exceptional build and great attention to detail.
Chris

LakesOnly
09-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Nice dyno numbers.
LO

Dave C
09-30-2005, 10:01 AM
hhhmmmm... I see. You just gave me a good idea!!! :notam:
I have to give due credit to Chris Straub. (CStraub69 on the boards) I took a chance and gave him an open page to design the cam for this motor. I told him all the specifics, in detail, but I made no suggestions as to the grind. This was completely his deal, AFA cam design, and without that, this would be just another big block.
I would recommend his program to anyone looking to build good power. Exceptional power. The right cam for your specific combination will make the difference.
Thanks Chris. Awsome job. :D

cstraub
09-30-2005, 11:12 AM
to answer some PM's and some e-mails about this cam, I have no problem with Steelcomp posting the spec's if he chooses. I just want to make it clear this was/is a custom cam and was designed specifically for Scott's combination. This cam is no magic stick for anyone else except for someone who builds a twin to this engine. I have no problem if Scott wants to post the specs, it's his cam.
One other thing. A dyno is a tool. Nothing more. I have had some people question the peak numbers. I, personally, don't care about peak numbers. They don't win races. Gearing an engine to run in its powerband wins races. If the powerband is narrow, your going to have a tough time with gear selection, if the powerband is broad then its easy to gear. To me this engine is a "CAKE WALK" to gear. Any engine that holds power within 7% of peak torque for a range of 2000 rpm is a solid engine in my book.
Chris

steelcomp
09-30-2005, 06:14 PM
I don't mind posting cam specs. The reason I didn't in the first place is two fold. First, is exactly what Chris said. This is a custom grind specifically and exactly for this engine combination, for the power we were looking for, where we were looking for it. Unless someone builds a clone, this cam would be useless. The other reason is, that no one's going to believe how small (relatively) it is, and made this kind of power.
The cam's specs are as follows:
Lift: .717 in. .663 ex. (net, after lash)
Duration @ .05 261 in. 266 ex.
Seperation 110 deg.
Lash (hot) .020 in, .025 ex.
Installed at 105.5 deg.
I hope this generates some thought into the cam selections some of you have made. If you haven't flowed your heads, or at least know what the advertised flow numbers are, you can pretty much know for sure that you're leaving HP on the table. :D :D

CARLSON-JET
09-30-2005, 07:56 PM
Scott, I really enjoyed your build-up posts on this engine. Congrats to you on a great build. It's nice to see those numbers on a smaller N.A. engine compared to what is going on today. As Cstruab pointed out, the power curve looks excellent. Thanks for posting all the phases of head work and details on the rest of the build. Are you going to be able to test on the water this year? R.B.

steelcomp
09-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Scott, I really enjoyed your build-up posts on this engine. Congrats to you on a great build. It's nice to see those numbers on a smaller N.A. engine compared to what is going on today. As Cstruab pointed out, the power curve looks excellent. Thanks for posting all the phases of head work and details on the rest of the build. Are you going to be able to test on the water this year? R.B.
Thanks RB. As far as testing this year, I don't know for sure. I need to finish the boat now, and with the new motor, I need to make some set up changes. I'm not planning on going to Ming next month, but you never know. I'll definarely have it in the water before next season. Winters aren't too bad here...lots of testing time. It was 94 here today. :D

Norseman
10-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Steelcomp;
Where the thread on the original short block build???
Thanks!!
Bob

steelcomp
10-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Steelcomp;
Where the thread on the original short block build???
Thanks!!
Bob
It's under steel 467...I'll bump it up.

Norseman
10-02-2005, 05:56 PM
It's under steel 467...I'll bump it up.
Steelcomp;
Thanks!!!!