PDA

View Full Version : VIN plate question

dimarcobros
09-24-2005, 08:27 AM
If I wanted to get a VIN plate put on my truck could I do it at the CHP in AZ or does it have to be in CA. I have had the Truck for 12 years and can't find a VIN number any where. I know there are hidden places for it on the frame and what not but can't find those either. CHP in CA takes a few months jsut for an appointment and I would like to sell it sooner than that. Any ideas? :confused:
DMB

Boatcop
09-24-2005, 08:34 AM
No CHP in Arizona.
The AZ MVD does level 1 inspections to locate VINs. If none is found, then they can issue the vehicle a VIN, as long as ownership documentation is sufficient.
What kind of vehicle? Maybe I can help locate the hidden VIN for you.

dimarcobros
09-24-2005, 08:39 AM
No CHP in Arizona.
The AZ MVD does level 1 inspections to locate VINs. If none is found, then they can issue the vehicle a VIN, as long as ownership documentation is sufficient.
What kind of vehicle? Maybe I can help locate the hidden VIN for you.
Well that would make sense, since it is Chp. :hammer2: It's a 79 GMC short bed truck. I have looked on the frame with mirrors with no luck. Is there an MVD in Havasu?
Thank you for your help.
DMB

al cole'holic
09-24-2005, 08:44 AM
Well that would make sense, since it is Chp. :hammer2: It's a 79 GMC short bed truck. I have looked on the frame with mirrors with no luck. Is there an MVD in Havasu?
Thank you for your help.
DMB
If the motor is original you may find a partial on the block...

carreraelite
09-24-2005, 08:46 AM
As I remember, there should be one on the left frame, on the side of the rail under the cab.

dimarcobros
09-24-2005, 08:57 AM
If the motor is original you may find a partial on the block...
The motor has been changed several times, but thanks.
DMB

dimarcobros
09-24-2005, 08:57 AM
As I remember, there should be one on the left frame, on the side of the rail under the cab.
I will take another look this weekend, thank you.
DMB

uvindex
09-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Is there an MVD in Havasu?
Yes. :) (I had that office put a VIN plate on a little boat trailer I used to have that didn't already have one.)
Lake Havasu City
2081 Spawr Circle
Lake Havasu City
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/OfficeHourssql/scripts/readofficehours.asp?COUNTY=Mohave
Good luck!

dimarcobros
09-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Great, thank you.
DMB

dimarcobros
10-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Yes. :) (I had that office put a VIN plate on a little boat trailer I used to have that didn't already have one.)
Lake Havasu City
2081 Spawr Circle
Lake Havasu City
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/OfficeHourssql/scripts/readofficehours.asp?COUNTY=Mohave
Good luck!
Do they only do the inspections one day a week, if so what day? Also will it be an issue that my truck is registered in CA?
Thanks for the help.
DMB

uvindex
10-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Do they only do the inspections one day a week, if so what day? Also will it be an issue that my truck is registered in CA?
Thanks for the help.
DMBFrom the site: "Vehicle Inspections and Road Tests, and also Motorcycle Skills Tests (where noted), are normally conducted during all business hours (except for the last 30 minutes, when they are by appointment only). All may be suspended due to extreme weather conditions. Inspections and motorcycle testing may also be suspended due to rain."
The MVD doesn't care where your other stuff is registered (or at least they never have when I've been there). They always ask for your driver's license when you're making a transaction. If it is a CA license you'll pay non-resident registration fees (and it's fine to have a mailing address in CA with a vehicle location address in AZ).
Good luck. :)

dimarcobros
10-14-2005, 03:46 PM
I got that same messsage but the guy that is suppose to do the "level 2" inspection is only there 1 day a week. Apparently that is when I am suppose to go. I don't want to drive the car all the way out there and have them say I need to come back on another day. I left the guy a message so I will wait for him to call back.
Thanks for all your help. Worse case I need to make two trips out to Havasu.....is that such a bad thing? :rollside:
DMB

uvindex
10-14-2005, 03:52 PM
I got that same messsage but the guy that is suppose to do the "level 2" inspection is only there 1 day a week. Apparently that is when I am suppose to go. Gotcha. This is beyond my meager MVD knowledge. :) When I had my VIN plate added to my little boat trailer there I'm not sure if it was a regular inspection, or a "level 2" inspection and I just got lucky. :)
Good luck!

dimarcobros
10-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Gotcha. This is beyond my meager MVD knowledge. :) When I had my VIN plate added to my little boat trailer there I'm not sure if it was a regular inspection, or a "level 2" inspection and I just got lucky. :)
Good luck!
Thanks and I do appreciate all your info, you have been a great help.
DMB

uvindex
10-14-2005, 07:49 PM
My pleasure to help. Hope your MVD experience goes smoothly! :)