PDA

View Full Version : My DMV nightmare diverted ....whew!

2Driver
09-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Had to take the new boat/trailer down to DMV in Scottsdale for inspection as I bought it in Nevada. The inspector that greeted me was pretty nice. The other Inspector measuring my trailer had that DMV attititutde you know so well
The attitude guy calls out 25' long to the guy taking down the notes, then calls out 8'6" wide...that will be oversized. I asked him what that meant . He said each time I want to take my 21' Chaparral on the road to the lake I must first come down and get an oversized vehicle special permit, each time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :burningm:
I noticed he did a sloppy measuring job, so I asked him if he could redo the measurement, and I got "Sir, this is a state purchased measuring device and it does not lie" he then went inside. I shook of the urge to strangle him and politley asked the other regular guy if I put a piece of rope down behind the trailer and we agreed on the edges would he then measure the rope? He said yeah but hurry. We did just that and it came to 8' even - not oversized.
He hurried me out of there before the Gestopo guy came back. God I get the jitters each time I walk that place.

Sleek-Jet
09-24-2005, 09:40 AM
I call it the interogation line... those guys look for anything to fail a vin/title inspection.
I gave my brother a car from Colorado one year. It had the door replaced at one point, and had a clean, no accident title from Colorado. From what I understand from the previouse owner, someone backed into the car in a parking lot and the body shop got a salvaged part to replace it (you can see this comming if you've ever delt with the AZ DMV)...
... so, down to the inspectors my sister-in-law goes and guess what... the vin's on the chassis and the door don't match... so the state of AZ want to file fraud charges against me for "selling" my brother a salvaged vehicle. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with these people and finally convinced them that the car had never been salvaged, but they would only issue a slavage title on it in AZ.
I hate going to that place as well.
Don't get me started on HIN numbers.

Jordy
09-24-2005, 09:45 AM
I had no problems when I took my boat down for the trailer vin inspection and I believe that the beam on my boat is 8'9" which would be oversized. The guy I dealt with was very cool. He measured the length of the trailer but just put 8'6" for the width or the trailer, which is true. Maybe he likes "custom" boats more. :D
Oh, and 8'6" isn't oversized. That's the max width to not be. 8'6" and a hair would be oversized. ;)

Sleek-Jet
09-24-2005, 09:48 AM
I had no problems when I took my boat down for the trailer vin inspection and I believe that the beam on my boat is 8'9" which would be oversized. The guy I dealt with was very cool. He measured the length of the trailer but just put 8'6" for the width or the trailer, which is true. Maybe he likes "custom" boats more. :D
It was probably professional courtesy between Assholes... :220v: :crossx: :D :D

jbtrailerjim
09-24-2005, 09:49 AM
What a moron. :hammerhea Even if it was 102" wide it would not be over width. 102" is the max width it can be, without it being oversized.

2Driver
09-24-2005, 09:52 AM
Maybe he likes "custom" boats more. :D ;)
Don't we all. The guy that was nice mentioned he even passes the big cats as "regular size" . I guess I got lucky with my Giant 21' Chap :D

bighead
09-24-2005, 09:54 AM
When I lived in Az I would go to Buckeye for inspections they were a lot easier to deal with and you could talk to them easily, it was well worth the drive out there. Now that I am stuck in Ca but live in a small town i have no problems so far with them either. Just my 2 cents on that.

azgfboatgirl
09-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Fortunately there are still a few nice people at the AZ DMV.
Luckily you found one and of all places Scottsdale.... :p

Her454
09-24-2005, 09:57 AM
I hate DMV. :cry:

Jordy
09-24-2005, 09:59 AM
It was probably professional courtesy between Assholes... :220v: :crossx: :D :D
I'm sure that's what it was. Maybe they just wanted the boat with the big "X-Rated" on the side out of Scottsdale as soon as possible. ;) :D
I hate Jordy. :cry:
I know. :( :( :(

Her454
09-24-2005, 10:02 AM
I know. :( :( :(
Jordy, Jordy, Jordy. If only you hadnt left me at the altar. :D

Lake Ape
09-24-2005, 10:09 AM
I don't know what DMV you guys are going to but I goto the one off Hayden and McKellips and I have ran all sorts of stuff through there. I have a buddy at one of the fiberglass shops that gets all sorts of trailers left there, usually pwc trailers, I just call it homemade and re-title the thing. The trailers are usually left there because what ever boat or PWC that came in on them was considered totalled by the insurance company. My buddy just bought a pretty big Hobo houseboat/pontoon boat thing. We just dropped the boat off at the lake and took the trailer with nothing on it and didn't have to worry about it either. I have also titled 4 military hummers and 2 military blazers there along with a banshee all with no VIN and had absolutely no problems.

Jordy
09-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Jordy, Jordy, Jordy. If only you hadnt left me at the altar. :D
Hey, the directions you gave me, that were in crayon on the back of a cocktail napkin from the Mullett Mountain Saloon, weren't exactly the best in the world either. I know they don't like y'all to have sharp stuff like pens and pencils up there, but c'mon now. Oh and turn at the seventh still site didn't exactly clear things up either. :D

Her454
09-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Hey, the directions you gave me, that were in crayon on the back of a cocktail napkin from the Mullett Mountain Saloon, weren't exactly the best in the world either. I know they don't like y'all to have sharp stuff like pens and pencils up there, but c'mon now. Oh and turn at the seventh still site didn't exactly clear things up either. :D
I should never give intoxicated directions. :notam:

2Driver
09-24-2005, 10:55 AM
I have also titled 4 military hummers and 2 military blazers there along with a banshee all with no VIN and had absolutely no problems.
Since Jordy is messing with my thread I may as well :rollside:
4 Hummers? How are they after being suplused? I had a H1 for a while and really liked it. But thank God it was under warranty while I owned it. It ate tires and brakes like cheerios :)

Jordy
09-24-2005, 10:56 AM
I should never give intoxicated directions. :notam:
Guess I'll just mapquest it next time as that doesn't leave much time for you to give directions Jello Queen. :D
What time am I picking you up at the aeropuerto??? :idea:

Lake Ape
09-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Since Jordy is messing with my thread I may as well :rollside:
4 Hummers? How are they after being suplused? I had a H1 for a while and really liked it. But thank God it was under warranty while I owned it. It ate tires and brakes like cheerios :)
There's several places that you can buy them. In almost all cases in the US they are cut in half right at the seam behind the drivers seat. Most of the ones on eBay have been cut in half and welded back together. Others on eBay has so much damage to them that they didn't need to cut them up since they were considered to be unserviceable. I have been buying them from a source in Mexico where they are still whole, although usually damaged. They have all been 1984 models from Panama. My buddy and I strip them down, paint them, and usually end up with one good one and one piece of junk for every two we buy. We have been selling them on eBay for about $30K