PDA

View Full Version : Shovel Nose?

MOBrien
09-24-2005, 12:12 PM
I know I know....should post pics. I'm still trying to figure that out since they're on my phone.
Anyhow. I stumbled onto a shovel nose in very decent hull condition. Not sure of the builder, not sure of the year....not even sure if it's for sale. :idea: But it's just the hull w/interior and trailer. It's a project for sure needing prep & paint, motor, tranny, hardware, etc...(depending what's in boxes inside the garage). But it looked to be in pretty decent shape overall and would make a good project if the dude is willing to part with it.
What's a range that I could expect to pay for something like this? Been thinking of selling my current boat for something bigger and faster, but a lake hydro sure sounds like a lot of fun & I'd just keep my cruiser for big water days.
Any thoughts from the hydro owners....better yet, the shovel-nosers? I believe it's a Sanger..........
Thanks!
-MOB :clover:

deltarat
09-24-2005, 12:37 PM
I say buy it, it sounds like it would be alot of fun to build. Plus when its done I know I can get a ride in it.

YeLLowBoaT
09-24-2005, 01:51 PM
Its not from that guy on power inn is it???? the one with about 10 old v drives just wasting away???( I saw a shovel there last time I drove by)

SANGER-RICH
09-24-2005, 05:54 PM
They are breed of their own, if serious like I was when I found my SANGER go for it. It is a love thing with them. Mine is in primer ready for paint and putting it back together big will be a project in its self. But it will be something I will be proud of. And had fun doing.
My 2 cents worth :D

MOBrien
09-24-2005, 11:20 PM
Its not from that guy on power inn is it???? the one with about 10 old v drives just wasting away???( I saw a shovel there last time I drove by)
I don't think so. All oxydized black paint with "Capitol Punishment" brushed on the deck? It looks to be in really great shape, but in a neighborhood I can't imagine it'll ever see a rebuild unless it gets rescued. I was so surprised to see it on the side of the street when I turned the corner. Damn things are bad-ass!
just might be my next garage toy for a while. :D :D

MOBrien
09-24-2005, 11:27 PM
I say buy it, it sounds like it would be alot of fun to build. Plus when its done I know I can get a ride in it.
Terry let's buy it, store it at Troy's place, cost/3 and go bracket racing when she's done! That'd be freakin awesome! :D

DUECE'SDAD
09-25-2005, 06:25 AM
Youll regret it if you dont find out if its for sale, mine is a sanger, and its quality, a little heavy, but awesome for a lake hydro as you stated, And if your eye has been on it, you want it ! ! ! ! They are awesome for what they are, an old design. Mine handles the water great, with a single bench, and my 2 year old son, 1 year old duaghter and the wife, It suprises people to see us cruising around with the family in what joe bass, and joe waterskier thinks of as a "crazy drag boat they would never step foot in" They are an attention getter to say the least Do it ! ! !

MOBrien
09-25-2005, 07:20 PM
OK, so what should I expect to pay for a shovel-nose in this condition?
I don't HAVE to have it, but for the right price I'll snatch it up.

YeLLowBoaT
09-26-2005, 08:25 AM
I would say if its in good cond and has a good trailer probly 500-1500 would be fair. I bought my boat off something simlar for only 300. but you never know they might just give it away.

MOBrien
09-26-2005, 09:31 AM
I would say if its in good cond and has a good trailer probly 500-1500 would be fair. I bought my boat off something simlar for only 300. but you never know they might just give it away.
holy crap you're kidding me. that's all? is your boat running now? If so, how much do you have into it. If not, what do you expect to put into it before it's lake ready?
thanks,
MOB

YeLLowBoaT
09-26-2005, 09:59 AM
no I am still rebuilding the motor.... it came with a 1965 421 pontiac out of a bonnvile so the rebuild has not been cheap... they made 16 421s that year that had 4 bolt mains and a 4bl carb..... the pistons had to be custom made that was 1k right there then about another 1500 in maching and other parts. ( motor was froze) so probly liek 4k total b4 but it needed every thing... if had been a bbf or bbc you could have knocked off about 1 k. I really can't wait to fire up the motor it should make some where around 400-425 hp its basicly a factory rebuild with blue print. All I really did was drop the comprestion raito down form about 12 to 1 down to 9.8 to 1 so that i can run pump gas. Just picked up the rotaitaing assmelby on friday =) I still need a valve job but that will have to wait until I get some more cash. I am about a week away from getting ready to paint it. I have pics that I need to get on here but don't have a working scaner.
how much it will cost depends on what you want to do. I really just want a good ski/ have fun boat so I am not going really wild on the boat. That and I am doing almost every thing myself, which is really why I bought the boat. I wanted to something to keep me bizzy and kill some stress from work. GL on buying the boat.

MOBrien
09-26-2005, 08:32 PM
a solid runner for morning and evening speed runs is all I'm after. if I pull the trigger, it'd get a simple but stylish color scheme, bare essentials cleanly installed, and like a mildly pumped N/A 350 or 383 with zoomies for flare. F the DB rule with a boat like that IMO. :D
anyhoo, I'll post back up if I somehow get my hands on it.
-MOBrien :clover:

YeLLowBoaT
09-27-2005, 04:37 AM
If your looking for a 350 core let me know. I have a early 80s 350 with 4bolt mains that is just collecting dust its out of a truck and only has liek 20k miles on it. It would make a great core for a build up if you wanted to go the sbc and the best part is if you come pick it up-- with me just pointing at it, ITS FREE!!!!

DUECE'SDAD
09-27-2005, 04:38 AM
1000-2500 depending on whats in the garage and how long since it has been in the water. Everybody on here has great boats with super nice trailers that they bought for $250-300 but all the ones that i have bought for that were only good for the parts an junk the hull, I wouldnt build any boat that i gave 300 for, trust your instincts, and dont be afraid to spend a little more for something you like !! !! I paid $2500 for mine minus engine with all the mounts and a bbc oil pan and zoomies. Nice boat that needed paint on the boat and trailer. no guages. A friend of mine just bought one on here for 3000 ? ? and it needs everything, but had lotsa good parts, And im not sure it has ever seen the water. If the guy could show you a picture of it running in the water, its worth more, then you know that the placement of the particulars were or are in somewhat of the right place, at least enuf to run. Outboard steering ? ? ? Hopefully.

MOBrien
09-28-2005, 10:25 AM
If your looking for a 350 core let me know. I have a early 80s 350 with 4bolt mains that is just collecting dust its out of a truck and only has liek 20k miles on it. It would make a great core for a build up if you wanted to go the sbc and the best part is if you come pick it up-- with me just pointing at it, ITS FREE!!!!
I'm likin' that idea.......now let me see if I can get my hands on this sucker..........

MOBrien
09-28-2005, 10:28 AM
1000-2500 depending on whats in the garage and how long since it has been in the water. Everybody on here has great boats with super nice trailers that they bought for $250-300 but all the ones that i have bought for that were only good for the parts an junk the hull, I wouldnt build any boat that i gave 300 for, trust your instincts, and dont be afraid to spend a little more for something you like !! !! I paid $2500 for mine minus engine with all the mounts and a bbc oil pan and zoomies. Nice boat that needed paint on the boat and trailer. no guages. A friend of mine just bought one on here for 3000 ? ? and it needs everything, but had lotsa good parts, And im not sure it has ever seen the water. If the guy could show you a picture of it running in the water, its worth more, then you know that the placement of the particulars were or are in somewhat of the right place, at least enuf to run. Outboard steering ? ? ? Hopefully.
Thanks for the thoughts DD. I'll certainly keep that in mind.

SANGER-RICH
09-29-2005, 05:32 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1247me-med.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/forums/images/smilies/00000041.gif I know I know....should post pics. I'm still trying to figure that out since they're on my phone.
Anyhow. I stumbled onto a shovel nose in very decent hull condition. Not sure of the builder, not sure of the year....not even sure if it's for sale. :idea: But it's just the hull w/interior and trailer. It's a project for sure needing prep & paint, motor, tranny, hardware, etc...(depending what's in boxes inside the garage). But it looked to be in pretty decent shape overall and would make a good project if the dude is willing to part with it.
What's a range that I could expect to pay for something like this? Been thinking of selling my current boat for something bigger and faster, but a lake hydro sure sounds like a lot of fun & I'd just keep my cruiser for big water days.
Any thoughts from the hydro owners....better yet, the shovel-nosers? I believe it's a Sanger..........
Thanks!
-MOB :clover:
What ever happened to the pictures. This is me driving MFREY'S SHOVELNOSE WITH HIM BY MY SIDE, HE IS SO COOL. :(http://www2.***boat.com/forums/images/smilies/00000041.gif

EXTREMEBOATS
09-29-2005, 05:44 PM
"GOOD PRICE"? IMO See whats there, and show intrest but not to much excitement. I have picked up some good stuff over the years, but playing the game has been the ticket. Classic glass is kick ass!!! Drop in and check it out... a$1000 bucks will intrest anyone, but know what your buying. Do your best to show experience, or baffle em the best you can...
One last thing, GO BIG BLOCK!!!! you'll be better off in the long run.... If I can help call....
Mike :)

IMPATIENT 1
09-29-2005, 05:44 PM
not trying to jack the thread,but what do these sanger shovel nose hydros go for $?my uncle has a blown injected bbc one and is trying to sell it.i'm thinking he's askin to much(16500.00).its got the nice cleared wood floors,new red paint white flames,new interior,nice trailer.motor has a 8-71 bds blower and injector hat,roller cam and lifters,bowtie heads.it's a super clean boat.i can't post pics here for some reason but could email a couple to someone if there interested in lookin. :confused:

EXTREMEBOATS
09-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Getting your price is never easy, but there's a saying." Theres a ass for every seat" And to a true shovel lover that sounds pretty good.... IMO of course.... :smile: