PDA

View Full Version : Need FORD help real bad??????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-20-2003, 06:44 PM
I stripped a block today and heres what I found.
Block cast#'s D1VE-A2B
Crank cast#'s 4UAB
Pistons cast#'s D3SE (stamped 429)
Rods cast#'s D00E
I looked up the block on a web site and it said the 429 casting numbers are D1VE and the 460 casting numbers are D1VE-A2B. Is the block a 429 or a 460? I also looked up the crank and rods and they came up under the 429. The heads are DOVE C. The block is a virgin and everything is standard. I am not a ford guy I just need some info on the parts I have. I have a guy begging me for all of these parts but I dont want to get screwed.I am just going to sell the stuff to finish my two boats. All the internal components are 429(I think) but I am really confused about the block. Could you guys please clear this up for me? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: wink

GM Killer
01-20-2003, 07:01 PM
The best I can do for you, without crackin open the books, is that the rods and block are the same for 429 and 460. Hopefully someone will be kind enough to help you out with the crank.

Hal
01-20-2003, 07:18 PM
Try looking here... Ford stuff (http://members.tripod.com/lyc_42/fordv8/fordshop.htm)
seems the only differance is the stroke.
[ January 20, 2003, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

mister460
01-20-2003, 07:40 PM
It's a 1970'ish 429. The heads are really the only valuable part of the setup. 429 and 460 blocks are the same. As are the rods. The D0VE-C heads are really nice heads though. How much is this guy willing to pay?

77charger
01-20-2003, 08:38 PM
GM Killer:
The best I can do for you, without crackin open the books, is that the rods and block are the same for 429 and 460. Hopefully someone will be kind enough to help you out with the crank. the stroke is 3.59 for a 429 and 3.82 for a 460and of course different pistons

MAXIMUS
01-21-2003, 07:23 AM
The heads are worth at least 2-3 hundred bucks depending how much work is needed. The rest of the engine maybe 100 or so?

Blown 472
01-21-2003, 08:11 AM
The rods are the same forgings as the cj, with the football shaped heads on the bolts.
The crank is cast iron and if building a 29 I would keep it.
All the blocks are the same execpt for the super cj.

Fiat48
01-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Lot of Ford Id info here: http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/index.html

LakesOnly
01-21-2003, 08:35 PM
396_WAYS_TO_SPIT:
I stripped a block today and heres what I found.
Block cast#'s D1VE-A2B
Crank cast#'s 4UAB
Pistons cast#'s D3SE (stamped 429)
Rods cast#'s D00E
Could you guys please clear this up for me? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: wink
396 The D1VE-A2B is a pre-1972 block, and I was informed that the pre-'72 blocks are the ones to run, and therefore have value with the die hard Ford fans. This is because the pre-'72 block has a .020" shorter crank-centerline-to-deck height, which is good for a little more compression. Also, the pre-'72 blocks have a thicker cylinder wall casting and can be bored .100" without so much as a sonic check. With the later blocks, you get .030" over and that's it (unless you check sonically or something like that).
I currently have two of these D1VE blocks. One is polished mirror smooth and being assembled in my garage; the other I just inspected this morning at the machine shop fresh out of the hot tank, and I must say, those cylinder walls feel thick (one finger through the freeze plug hole against the cylinder OD and another on the bore).
I recall that my 1973 Factory Ford Manual refers to the 1973 460 as a "new lightweight cast design." A 460 is lightweight??? Well, now that I know about the pre-'72 blocks, I understand how they can get away with saying that. I speculate that after 1972, the deck height was increased (by machining down less) to lower overall compression, and the casting was lightened (thinner cylinder walls, etc.) for emissions/mileage reasons, respectively.
And so this is why the guy is begging you for even the bare block.
On those D00E rods: I had a pair of forged rods with those number cast in them BUT they were standard passenger car rods, NOT truck rods/Cobra Jet Rods. If the rods are broached at the bolt head, they are NOT the nice rods (compare pic of the two different rods at http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Connecting-rod-index.html ) Still, the rods are forged.
The cylinder heads were probably made in 1969 or 1970 and have the 2.08 intake and the 76 cc combustion chambers. Nice heads. Email me the casting numbers (under the valve covers and across the cast unmachined surface) and I'll tell you which month/year they were made.
It sounds to me that you have a pre-'72 429 on your hands. Could have as much as 360 HP, depending on year, etc.
LO
[ January 21, 2003, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

77charger
01-21-2003, 08:40 PM
about how much are the dive blocks worth.I have a spare one std bore as well as a 429 crank(.010)good shape.(i dont think my brother will take with the boat.)the heads i traded for a case of beer already :)

LakesOnly
01-21-2003, 09:05 PM
77charger:
about how much are the dive blocks worth. Hard to say...there are still a fair amount of these blocks out there; it's not that they're totally scarce (not yet, anyway)...it's just that they're the ones to use due to the features, that's all.
On the other hand, the second one that I just had hot tanked was sitting in a back yard at someone's house and was gonna be tossed...I couldn't let that happen. Because it's easier than scouring a junk yard, climbing under a row of old grimy cars and scrubbing away layers of grease looking for the right block casting. And then having to pull the whole damn motor. And blocks need lots of machining.
Perhaps $50 to $150 depending on condition? Perhaps not. I honestly don't know. But I'd pay within that range if I did't have to waste a day in the boneyard busting my knuckles...
LO
[ January 21, 2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

77charger
01-21-2003, 09:16 PM
thanks it just might sit in my garage til i can use it one day but might need to make room i also have 2 newer sbc blocks 1 piece seal and 4 bolt mains one is needs bore the other is fine but both need rebuild kits(pistons,rods,cams,etc)or everyhting but cranks.But with a boat and a suburban it might be nice to have both on stands ready for immediate drop in! :)

Blown 472
01-22-2003, 09:05 AM
I was told the blocks up till 76 were good, and yes they are a taller deck but can be cut down. wink

mister460
01-24-2003, 06:23 AM
77Charger: 4 bolt main SBC blocks are honestly a dime a dozen. The BBF heads are where the money is at. D1VE and earlier blocks are cool but not really that rare. C8, C9, D0, and D1 (if you can find them) are the cool heads to have. Everything else is easy to find. A good set of heads should go for 3 bones easy. Hope this helps.

waterslinger
01-28-2003, 12:05 PM
WOW 460 parts must be hard to find in CA.
Here in south GA and north FL the DOVE-C heads go for $100 fresh off a old motor. I did get $175 for a set of CJ rods that had ARP bolts and a fresh machine job on the big end. Hell for the cost of machine work, port work, fresh valves and springs you may as well get a set of Edelbrock
aluminum heads. Gave $1,600 for mine and look at all the pounds that you knock off.

thedroid
01-30-2003, 08:23 PM
WOW :D
These here big block fords we got layin' around all over in Illinois must be worth a fortune in Cali. Got one out of a 69 Lincoln a year or two ago and the dude only charged me $100 and took it out FOR ME. I think he had a big date with his cousin that night and needed the loot. Bought a standard 429cj crank coated in grease in a plastic bag from a guy in Nov 2002 for $25, what a deal huh. Got a pair of nice DOVE heads I'm using for a door stop in my shop right now, Was kinda wanderin' what those funny pushrod holders were for. Guess out here in corn central the farm subsidies have been good to the john deere crowd for so long that there is still lots of good OLD cast iron from all the lincolns and country squire wagons and that nobody's got their shithooks into them yet. Maybe I should start sendin' some to all you fellers out west. It's a For profit deal ya know. jawdrop

Craig
01-31-2003, 07:05 AM
Hey 396, if you still have any Ford questions, there's a good local machine shop in town that's very familiar with Fords. The owner, Don Woodard ran a pretty bad Ford powered jetboat for years and also an SCCA T-Bird powered by a 429. Their number is (602) 943-0571
Craig

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-31-2003, 06:31 PM
Thanks Craig, I will shoot him a call next week. I am selling this stuff so I just needed some info.
Also,thank you other guys for all the help wink