PDA

View Full Version : CHP Officer Dies in T/C

LHC30Victory
09-24-2005, 12:53 PM
See Debolas' thread on Miguel (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93055).
Dave Thomas, a veteran CHP motor officer from the Santa Fe Springs office was killed this morning when he was stopped at a red signal on Valley at Turnbull Cyn Rd. A motorist failed to stop and struck the officer from behind at a high rate of speed. Both continued into the intersection where a third party was involved. One of the cars was launched onto the train tracks.
God rest his soul.

Kilrtoy
09-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Make you think is it really worth it.......
God Speed

LHC30Victory
09-24-2005, 01:00 PM
God Speed
Most people may ask that - its a valid question but if not me, who then?
We each have responsibility to ourselves and others and view DUTY in different ways perhaps.

little rowe boat
09-24-2005, 01:39 PM
This is very sad,motor officers have a difficult and very dangerous job. I ran a call a couple of years ago on Chp motor officer Distel,everytime I hear or read about a motor officer hurt or killed on duty I think back to that day.
Very sad.

core attitude
09-24-2005, 01:49 PM
God Speed
What.......riding or being a LEO.......this sounds less like it didn't have anything to do with work and everything to do with being on a motorcycle......and I would bet money this guy wouldn't have given up either.

slink
09-24-2005, 01:52 PM
God Speed
YES, Yes it is

simple
09-24-2005, 01:59 PM
I know there a few Law Enforcement HB forum participators out here.
When these incidents happen:
1/ Do you wonder why you are in that business?
2/ Do you mentally tough it out but are very sad?
3/ Or do you think that won't happen to you?

slink
09-24-2005, 02:09 PM
1. No
2. Yes
3. No, you are always aware that it can happen. The minute you think it won't happen is usually when stuff happens. I don't think today's event had any thing to do with him being LE, unless the drunk idiot that hit him was purposely trying to ram him. I think it's more of the wrong place at the wrong time, which could happen to anyone of us regardless of our profession.

LHC30Victory
09-24-2005, 02:13 PM
1) When these incidents happen, I try to remember those who are alive and well becasue people like me cared. On a particularly tough incident, I picture those children who smile.
2) YES
3) I place my faith in GOD, my training/experience/abilities and believe that if it does happen - it is for a reason!

Shock21
09-24-2005, 02:30 PM
1. No, it is a great job...
2. Yes
3. I know it could very well happen to me, in fact, I have been on a motor in OC for five years, haven't gone down yet, knock...knock..You have to ride aggressively and defensively at the same time. Even then you may not be able to get out of a jam. I just get up and go to work every day and try not to worry about....It's still sobering to put that black band on th ebadge...

Big_Gunz_
09-24-2005, 03:16 PM
1: No
2: Yes
3: The last three post pretty much says it all.

crownie
09-24-2005, 03:21 PM
1. No
2. YES
3. Have riden for years, you can't be afraid, the fear will kill you. You react when things happen, and when in doubt "gas it"

BADAXE
09-24-2005, 03:25 PM
Is what worth it? Driving?
God speed to anyone who has died in a traffic accident.

PowellScooter
09-24-2005, 04:01 PM
Sounds to me like it had more to do with being in the wrong place at the wrong time, then being a motor officer.... No matter its a very sad outcome and the families have my concolences

SmokinLowriderSS
09-24-2005, 04:05 PM
My deepest condolences to his family, and all his bretheren/sisteren who are here on our boards (and elsewhere).

blackcloud75
09-24-2005, 04:46 PM
bagpipes...........................
Godspeed!!!!!
And all the ARNOLD supporters wonder why we are so passionate about our professions

blackcloud75
09-24-2005, 04:48 PM
This is very sad,motor officers have a difficult and very dangerous job. I ran a call a couple of years ago on Chp motor officer Distel,everytime I hear or read about a motor officer hurt or killed on duty I think back to that day.
Very sad.
...he was a very good family friend
do you work for Riverside City?

little rowe boat
09-24-2005, 06:42 PM
...he was a very good family friend
do you work for Riverside City?
Yes Riverside city E11, in Orangecrest.

rvrtoy
09-24-2005, 06:45 PM
1: No
2: Yes
3: The last three post pretty much says it all.
Ditto!!!

Southwest47
09-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Yes Riverside city E11, in Orangecrest.
Thanks for patroling my neighborhood bro. RSO-Southwest Station.

LHC30Victory
09-24-2005, 08:31 PM
Excuse me but I'm gonna get drunk in Dave's memory - good night :cry:

BRSTQUEST
09-24-2005, 08:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's always hard to hear about losing another good guy.....It was just 4 months ago that LASD lost Jerry Ortiz to a gangster and that was a though one.....It is never easy hearing about a brother dying in the line....
1. Yes.....everyone one should reevaluate why we are in the business...I use it as reinforcement that this is a calling and not a job....I love what I do!!!
2. Yes and it's important to have a support staff that understands.....family and friends are very important to talk to about this stuff
3. Never ever think it won't happen to you....Trust your instincts, training and that little voice that comes from within.....

ROZ
09-24-2005, 11:48 PM
And all the ARNOLD supporters wonder why we are so passionate about our professions
Your an a ss... The idea of maintaining law, order, and doing the right thing is a much larger concept than you, me, and whoever is in office.. This accident could have been anyone.. What, you a union rep? Thanks for making this thead about politics...
My condolences go out to the family and friends of officer as well as all other accident victims.... It's a shame.

core attitude
09-25-2005, 06:46 AM
WTF? I think you need to refer to your own sig line on this one.......
"Hardest thing to do in life, is to convince someone who hasn't got clue...........they don't have clue."
Pete

little rowe boat
09-25-2005, 08:01 AM
This accident could have been anyone..
But it wasn't it was another law enforcement officer.

little rowe boat
09-25-2005, 08:02 AM
Thanks for patroling my neighborhood bro. RSO-Southwest Station.
No prob. Glad to be of service.

blackcloud75
09-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Your an a ss... The idea of maintaining law, order, and doing the right thing is a much larger concept than you, me, and whoever is in office.. This accident could have been anyone.. What, you a union rep? Thanks for making this thead about politics...
My condolences go out to the family and friends of officer as well as all other accident victims.... It's a shame.
Obviously what part of killed in the "Line of Duty" do you want me to define.........

blackcloud75
09-25-2005, 08:24 AM
WTF? I think you need to refer to your own sig line on this one.......
Pete
Obvious, you were referenced.......................
Sorry about the association between yourself and my sig....hope you weren't too offended :skull:

PBOCOP
09-25-2005, 08:33 AM
If I didn't love this job, I wouldn't still be doing it.
Everyday is stll fun, challenging, exciting, and all the other words. Has been for over 15 years and until the day it isn't, I'll continue to do the job. I make the same amount of money or more playing poker each year, so if I didn't like it, I would just play poker full time. I have been on a motor for over 10 years and haven't had one accident. I don't think this one had anything to do with him being a LEO, it could have been someone on a Harley in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Most people that do this job love it and will continue to do it without fear, but realizing that like any job in this world, your fate could be put in someone elses hands.

Kilrtoy
09-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Just curious, all you motors who have never had an accident, How many miles do you ride a day?

all charged up
09-25-2005, 10:02 AM
I have had only one minor mishap. You will be hard pressed to find a motor officer that has not been down even if it was minor.
The guys on my squad average about 85 miles per day. We work four 10's so it makes for some long days during the summer months but havin F S and S off every week is worth it.
:cool:

Mohave Vice
09-25-2005, 10:39 AM
My heart goes out to the CHP Officer and his family. Also a BIG THANKS to all LE on the board. I appreciate your efforts!!!!

famaffair
09-25-2005, 11:12 AM
This incident is indeed a tragedy. In the last few years the majority of LEO traffic fatalities have been motors. There was an off duty deputy who witnessed this event take place. According to the Deputy, it looks as if the driver of the car may have rammed the Officer on purpose. The description of the driver fits that of a gang banger and supposedly he shows no remorse. The Officer had 25 years on the job and a family. The power of prayer is awesome and this family needs prayer in this moment of mourning.

blackcloud75
09-25-2005, 11:21 AM
...father of 5........

ROZ
09-25-2005, 11:24 AM
Not $hit.. Glad you clarified that.. I under stood that from the get go, or it may not have made the press so quickly.. You still turned a condolences thread political.. You're still an idiot.
BTW...Don't think I don't know what the families of police officers go through and how it efffects the family and extended family.. I do.. Related to 2 that have cracked... One spent 30yrs on the bottle after he left the force and died a decorated lonely old man... The other fimally left to join the FBI.. Plus friends...

core attitude
09-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Obvious, you were referenced.......................
Sorry about the association between yourself and my sig....hope you weren't too offended :skull:
No sorry needed, you're right, I don't have a clue how your comment speaks of or lends to the topic at hand. What I do find offensive is using a thread with some merit for your personal soap box.......however small it is.
Pete