PDA

View Full Version : How old should the kids be before you leave them alone?

Man-de-lone
09-24-2005, 07:30 PM
How old were your kids before you left them home alone for a little while ? I am thinking just to run to the store or go out to dinner with out them??
Assume that they are well behaved and cautious.......

Kindsvater Flat
09-24-2005, 07:35 PM
I have been doing it since he was 8 for quick runs to the store or post office. Going out to dinner 10-11 or so. Little different here on the ranch compared to city life. He has been running loose on the motorcycles since he was 4.

blender over
How old were your kids before you left them home alone for a little while ? I am thinking just to run to the store or go out to dinner with out them??
Assume that they are well behaved and cautious.......
around 12 i think.

disco_charger
My son is 21 months, and we leave him all the time. :D

simple
09-24-2005, 07:36 PM
Once they are old enough to understand that they don't answer the door or the phone. They also must know your cell phone number & be a responsible kid.
Run a few tests before you go.
Most of the time 12 years old works.

JetBoatRich
09-24-2005, 08:53 PM
Never trust them :mad: remember when you were young :rolleyes:

Mrs. Restless22
09-24-2005, 08:53 PM
I have been doing it since he was 8 for quick runs to the store or post office. Going out to dinner 10-11 or so. Little different here on the ranch compared to city life. He has been running loose on the motorcycles since he was 4.
LOL Ive driven past that little post office in Butte City so many times!
But a quick trip to the store? Hmmm, I dunno about that one, a quick trip from where you live is like....errrr.....1 hour!!!
Boonies boy ;)

HocusPocus
09-24-2005, 09:33 PM
we have 4 kids.. and we always use the teenager rule.. once they are 13 they are allowed to be at home alone. my kids are almost 5 years apart in age and my oldest is 16 now so she makes a great baby sitter. it would also depend on the maturity level of the kid.. my wife won't leave me home alone. :D

Kindsvater Flat
09-24-2005, 09:33 PM
LOL Ive driven past that little post office in Butte City so many times!
But a quick trip to the store? Hmmm, I dunno about that one, a quick trip from where you live is like....errrr.....1 hour!!!
Boonies boy ;)
If you've driven by the post office you've driven by the store. Although you were probably looking at the bar when you past it since its across the street. :D
http://www.schoutenranch.com/miscfarm/taylor3.JPG

Mrs. Restless22
09-24-2005, 10:05 PM
If you've driven by the post office you've driven by the store. Although you were probably looking at the bar when you past it since its across the street. :D
Thats a store? :confused:
LMAO I always look at the bar!! never even knew the store was a "real" store.
I should spend more time there. Get to know a few of the 200-300 folks that live there :D :D

Mrs. Restless22
09-24-2005, 10:06 PM
BTW
Cute pic of K-Flat Jr.

JustMVG
09-24-2005, 10:15 PM
We had our oldest watching her sisters at 12, and she did real well, and her sisters were a handful, still are!! I think it also would depend on how mature the child is and that there is a complete understanding that if there is a problem or question they need to get ahold of mom or dad or another family member.

Kindsvater Flat
09-24-2005, 10:24 PM
Thats a store? :confused:
LMAO I always look at the bar!! never even knew the store was a "real" store.
I should spend more time there. Get to know a few of the 200-300 folks that live there :D :D
200-300???? Oh you must be talking during the height of duck season.

bear down
09-24-2005, 11:36 PM
My parents worked 2 jobs each and my 6 bros and sisters all worked. I was left alone at age 6. Walked home from school and re heated my dinner and went to bed by 8 p.m. I only had one bad episode when it rained really bad and I freaked out. Other than that I was good to go. When I have kids I will let them be alone at age 10 or 11.

Man-de-lone
09-25-2005, 06:13 AM
That's pretty much what we have done then. Our son is 12 girl is 10. Responsible, and follow the rules we have laid down. They know the neighbors and are over there all the time, so they could always go get help if needed. We live on a quiet cul de sac, so there's not many strangers around. Well not stranger than me.....
I think when they are older, maybe I won't want to leave them alone... LOL :hammerhea or put a lock on the liquor cabinet.... :p :rolleyes: :p
My wife leaves them to go to the gym, and we actually went out to dinner for the first time leaving them home. It was kinda nice.

OutCole'd
09-25-2005, 06:21 AM
I could see my kids fighting over who is the boss when we are gone and the phone ringing the whole time. I'll leave my 12 year old son alone for an hour or so, but the two of them together could get violent. :hammerhea :argue:

All IN
09-25-2005, 08:38 AM
11 OR 12
As long as they don't open the door. Tested her the first time we left her at home..
She passed with flying colors.

pixilatedpussy
09-25-2005, 08:50 AM
I guess I am over protective, it wont be for a while! They are only 10 (On Nov 2) & 7! :( ;)