PDA

View Full Version : Da Plane....

Outnumbered
09-26-2005, 08:29 PM
Went to Havasu for the fist time in a few years today. Saw this Sea Plane near the south end of the channel near Rotary Beach. What is up with that?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/973P9250006.JPG

Not So Fast
09-26-2005, 08:57 PM
News story today said he had engine problems so he landed on Havasu, went to beach it at Rotary but had the landing gear down or something like that, got it stuck in the mud so Vessel Assist spent most of the day Sat getting him unstuck. They went to Tuscon for a part and were repairing the thing today. We cruized by it as we headed to S.B. The plane is either owned by or does promo's for Billabong :chi: NSF

Dusty Times
09-26-2005, 08:58 PM
????????
Kinda cool though!
Wonder if he got a No Muffler ticket?

Dusty Times
09-26-2005, 09:00 PM
That's not Billabongs unless that is a 2nd one.
My buddy did all their logos about a year ago.

Not So Fast
09-26-2005, 09:04 PM
:D That's not Billabongs unless that is a 2nd one.
My buddy did all their logos about a year ago.
I thought thats what the paper said but I'm too exhausted to go look it up after watching the CHARGER game :D :D NSF

SMFRiverRat
09-26-2005, 09:07 PM
a company called "Surf Wing Inc" from Laguna Beach is the reg. owner.
Grumman HU-16B
Very cool

Outnumbered
09-26-2005, 09:13 PM
News story today said he had engine problems so he landed on Havasu, went to beach it at Rotary but had the landing gear down or something like that, got it stuck in the mud so Vessel Assist spent most of the day Sat getting him unstuck. They went to Tuscon for a part and were repairing the thing today. We cruized by it as we headed to S.B. The plane is either owned by or does promo's for Billabong :chi: NSF
Thanks for the info. I think I saw your boat out there today. Looked familiar but I could not remember who it belonged to. Nice ride.

voodoomedman
09-26-2005, 09:20 PM
That was out on the lake on Wednesday the 14th and we drove around it and took a picture. Have been too busy to post the picture and was going to do it tonight but you beat me too it. They have an inflatable boat with an outboard that they get out of the plane on. It was pretty freakin cool to see that thing. It was in front of crazy horse when we saw it.

Outnumbered
09-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Found the story:
http://www.havasunews.com/articles/2005/09/25/news/news02.txt

Dusty Times
09-26-2005, 09:35 PM
Sounds like they are painting and logo on plain number two. The last one was done in Kingman also. I'll see if my buddy has pics of the first one.

Wake Havasu
09-26-2005, 10:48 PM
3,000 Horse Power!
I had cehcked it out as well.
Pretty cool.
He said ony 80 left in thw world.

Kilrtoy
09-26-2005, 10:59 PM
did they not use those alot in the Koren war.
I believe they even made a TV series about that plane back in the late 70's or early 80's

JetBoatRich
09-27-2005, 05:36 AM
That would get attention in the channel :D

Mardonzi
09-27-2005, 06:09 AM
There's a guy out of Tuscon that has one of those and flies it into Powell every now and then. The interior is made up like an RV and has pods under the wings that hold his PWC's... Pretty cool setup

nextel4u
09-27-2005, 06:39 AM
We saw two sea planes land at Lake Mead yesterday afternoon around 2:00 pm in the channel by Calville Bay. These guys must have headed over to Lake Havasu as well. Seeing them land was cool as hell!

SnakeWrench
09-27-2005, 06:41 AM
I don't know about ya'll, but that looks like the ultimate boat to me!

Jbb
09-27-2005, 06:41 AM
Wonder if they bought the parts needed at Savage?..... :D

Not So Fast
09-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info. I think I saw your boat out there today. Looked familiar but I could not remember who it belonged to. Nice ride.
Hey did you just trade in your Ultra for a new Magic, there was one that looked like your's in the shop on Fri.???? NSF

atomickitn
09-27-2005, 08:56 AM
you think i could ski behind it ? .......... hit it !!!!!! :rollside:

riverroyal
09-27-2005, 08:58 AM
we idled over to it about 4 pm,two guys were working on a motor,kids loved it

Froggystyle
09-27-2005, 09:05 AM
did they not use those alot in the Koren war.
I believe they even made a TV series about that plane back in the late 70's or early 80's
Yeah, "Tales of the Golden Monkey" from the early 80's. I loved that show...
That amphib is more popularly known as a Grumman "Goose" I believe. My Dad used to own an Otter and a couple other freighters when he had an airfreight business in Hawaii in the 70's. Same engines I believe.
They had a "Duck" too that was a smaller version. I am seeing some turboprop conversions as well these days as it was a great platform...

Froggystyle
09-27-2005, 09:09 AM
C:\Documents and Settings\Jason and Amber.HOME\My Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\2005-09-20
Yeah.... it doesn't work like that... ;)

Sleek-Jet
09-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Yeah, "Tales of the Golden Monkey" from the early 80's. I loved that show...
That amphib is more popularly known as a Grumman "Goose" I believe. My Dad used to own an Otter and a couple other freighters when he had an airfreight business in Hawaii in the 70's. Same engines I believe.
They had a "Duck" too that was a smaller version. I am seeing some turboprop conversions as well these days as it was a great platform...
It's an Albatross... Goose are smaller, and I believe the "Tales of the Golden Monkey" was a Widgeon...

Froggystyle
09-27-2005, 09:11 AM
It's an Albatross... Goose are smaller, and I believe the "Tales of the Golden Monkey" was a Widgeon...
Correct you are...
What is a Widgeon?
P.S. I was ten when "Tales" came out...

Sleek-Jet
09-27-2005, 09:18 AM
Correct you are...
What is a Widgeon?
P.S. I was ten when "Tales" came out...
I was Seven... :D
A Widgeon was the smallest of the Grumman Amphibs... they all looked similiar.
From smallest, to largest it was:
Widgeon (a kind of duck)
Goose
Mallard
Albatross
The "Tales" airplane might be a Goose, I haven't seen a good enough picture in a while, but one of the TV studios has a Widgeon with a radial engine conversion and it's hard to tell the difference on TV sometimes.

Outnumbered
09-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Hey did you just trade in your Ultra for a new Magic, there was one that looked like your's in the shop on Fri.???? NSF
My boat was at Absolute for the routine service all week. Went to pick it up Sunday and made a day of it. We usually don't boat Havasu but since we were there anyway it worked out to a good day trip.

voodoomedman
09-27-2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah.... it doesn't work like that... ;)
I know I know but this friggin site doesn't want to let me post so I was just trying stuff. Where's to the link to the rules regarding posting pics because I have made my picture super small with a valid file extension and it still doesn't want to accept it.

JB in so cal
09-27-2005, 10:21 AM
I was Seven... :D
A Widgeon was the smallest of the Grumman Amphibs... they all looked similiar.
From smallest, to largest it was:
Widgeon (a kind of duck)
Goose
Mallard
Albatross
The "Tales" airplane might be a Goose, I haven't seen a good enough picture in a while, but one of the TV studios has a Widgeon with a radial engine conversion and it's hard to tell the difference on TV sometimes.
So, is the Goose just a smidgeon larger than the Widgeon?