PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy boats need backround

SummitKarl
09-26-2005, 09:39 PM
I am looking at a 1985 25'ft Galaxie (full cabin/stepdeck) it's got a OMC/Chevy 350 and a OMC outdrive, anyone got some backround on these, I have a spare 460 and Bravo One to replace the old running gear,
any one have any info on the manufacture.
I noticed small "DROP" size bubbles in the GelCoat below the waterline (any Ideas whats going on there)

Outnumbered
09-26-2005, 09:47 PM
I am looking at a 1985 25'ft Galaxy (full cabin/stepdeck) it's got a OMC/Chevy 350 and a OMC outdrive, anyone got some backround on these, I have a spare 460 and Bravo One to replace the old running gear,
any one have any info on the manufacture.
I noticed small "DROP" size bubbles in the GelCoat below the waterline (any Ideas whats going on there)
If its a Cobra outdrive they are stout and should give you no problems. I had one in my 87 Lavey behind a 350HP BBF and it gave me 4 good years of service with no issues. Don't know much about Galaxie other than that I believe they were/are a custom builder. I do not believe that is a production boat.

SummitKarl
09-26-2005, 09:55 PM
If its a Cobra outdrive they are stout and should give you no problems. I had one in my 87 Lavey behind a 350HP BBF and it gave me 4 good years of service with no issues. Don't know much about Galaxie other than that I believe they were/are a custom builder. I do not believe that is a production boat.
don't know if it was a cobra
the outdrive was silver and oval shape at the Transom, the Trim was (externially) gear driven

Outnumbered
09-26-2005, 10:13 PM
don't know if it was a cobra
the outdrive was silver and oval shape at the Transom, the Trim was (externially) gear driven
No, that is not a Cobra. That sounds like an older OMC, maybe an 800 model? I do not know much about those but try posting in "Outdrives".
As far as the bubbles in the gel. My Lavey would get them below the water line when I left it on the lake in a slip all summer. Never appeared to be a problem, they went away when it dried out. I think its just old gel coat soaking up water.

Creator
09-26-2005, 10:35 PM
The bubbles are called delamination, it's not a good thing. What it means is that the gel coat and fiberglass have begun to separate. It can be fixed but usually during the repair process you find more damaged areas requiring even more attention. If the layers of fiberglass have begun to pull apart it's even more of a hassle. However if it's just the gel coat it's an easy fix, a little sanding and some gelcoat can do the trick.

bilgewiper
09-27-2005, 04:59 AM
Re: "drop/pin sized blisters" My old Lavey also gets those also from being left in the water. Don't worry too much about them if you only trailer. It's the big 3"+ ones that are scary........seen way to many of them in the boatyard. But considering it probably has a stringer mount OMC which would require major transom mods to mount Mercruiser, I personally would "Run, not Walk" away from that deal unless it's almost free.

XTRM22
09-27-2005, 06:05 AM
Galaxy boats were a production boat with some custom attitudes. They were owned by the Potts/Potter family in Rialto for a long time. I had pretty good service out of my 94 Galaxy Starion for about three years. I've seen some older ones that have the same problems all older boats have. They're pretty straight and reasonabley well rigged. Older one seem like a pretty good bargain if don't mind the project potential.
CHuck

SummitKarl
09-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Re: "drop/pin sized blisters" My old Lavey also gets those also from being left in the water. Don't worry too much about them if you only trailer. It's the big 3"+ ones that are scary........seen way to many of them in the boatyard. But considering it probably has a stringer mount OMC which would require major transom mods to mount Mercruiser, I personally would "Run, not Walk" away from that deal unless it's almost free.
it's running just fine as is, and it's only $3k, I am looking for a project (stepdeck) of some sort, but yea this one looks like it would be a hand full
maybe a old Ranger, Sleek craft or Nord, late 80's early 90's vintage,
the perfect deal for would be.......blown running gear...needs paint sort of deal

Nord
09-27-2005, 10:26 AM
ull
maybe a old Ranger, Sleek craft or Nord, late 80's early 90's vintage,
the perfect deal for would be.......blown running gear...needs paint sort of deal
I'm not for sale! :D
Well, maybe for the right price! :wink:
Was the boat in the water recently, that should tell you if the bubbles are delamination or the kind that will go away. :confused:

SummitKarl
09-27-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm not for sale! :D
Well, maybe for the right price! :wink:
Was the boat in the water recently, that should tell you if the bubbles are delamination or the kind that will go away. :confused:
sorry to hear your running gear ain't working :redface: :D
do you need paint too..... ;) :D

Nord
09-27-2005, 11:08 AM
How can you go wrong for 3k>>???? :D :D :idea: :D :idea:

SummitKarl
09-27-2005, 11:18 AM
How can you go wrong for 3k>>???? :D :D :idea: :D :idea:
thats why I am looking at it for $3k, but I am guessing about $3k to get int. redone, rest looks perty sound, just in need of alot of TLC, your right though hard to pass up for only $3k