PDA

View Full Version : two stroke - gas & oil mixture

Liquid Life
08-17-2003, 07:57 PM
I just got my kid a two-stroke dirt bike. We where out riding this weekend and the exhaust off another bike had a trick smell to it. I asked if he was using racing gas, he said it was regular gas with two stroke racing oil. Does anyone know what kind of oil will get that (sweet)racing smell? Thanks

TIMEBOMB
08-17-2003, 08:02 PM
PJ1 will give you that sweet smell or any quality synthetic racing oil. Gary

Liquid Life
08-17-2003, 08:06 PM
TIMEBOMB Thanks for the quick response, I will be getting some PJ1. I was using the oil that the previous owner gave to me.

rude235
08-17-2003, 09:01 PM
you could try amsoil also.

TOBTEK
08-18-2003, 07:07 AM
maxima 927 will also give you the smell of race gas.....love that smell! Follow KAB's twin around for the same effect :D

beached 1
08-18-2003, 07:17 AM
927 is good but expensive.
Klotz is my fav. Smells good with VP c12.

Cs19
08-18-2003, 09:37 AM
i would not recommend the red ams oil. Ive ran it in some highly modifed 2 strokes with poor results and lots of piston skirt wear.the other dark blue is better. Maxima 927 is a great oil and can be trusted, however keep in mind its not a synthtic oil and cannot be mixed with any synthetic oils. drain your tank completly before switching oils. 927 is a great oil and would be my choice but it is gummy and will load up your powervalve so you will have to do regular maintenence on it to keep it from sticking. especially if your cruising and not on the pipe all day. If i was you i would contact the origonal owner and run what he was running if it was a good oil. its really not the best thing for your motor to keep changing oils. If you want the nice smell run av or race gas and some 927 @ 32:1 and it will smell good.

Phat_Kat
08-18-2003, 09:44 AM
I use motul. I never really paid much attention to the smell seeing as I do run VP through my bike but I would guess motul would do the trick just as well. I personally get a lot of the stuff for free seeing as my dad is friends with president of the company. Finally met the guy at my dads 50th birthday party, real nice guy.

randy77zt
08-18-2003, 09:08 PM
sweet smell is from a castor based oil.most newer 2 strokes dont run a castor oil because it gums up the exhaust power valve.the maxima oils use a small amount of castor with a synthetic based oil.castor gums up if it is not used .i used to run golden spectro in my atv engines.no problems-started using it after talking to the engine builder at the atv rental in pismo.ran maxima super m in my jet ski.it had 2% castor but you couldnt smell it.i would not run a oil with a lot of castor because of it gumming up if the bike is not used for awhile.in my merc 2.5 i run penzoil %100 synthetic but i would run synthetic dirt bike oil in it before running that cheap oil from wallmart.

HOSS
08-19-2003, 06:06 AM
PJ1, highly recommend it especially over re-formulated Yamalube. That stuff seperates and thats what it was re-formulated for.

Jordy
08-19-2003, 06:18 AM
Run PJ1 Goldfire and you'll never have any problems gumming anything up. That's all I run in my quad and my bike. The guy that built the engine in my quad was impressed with the lack of any buildup when he tore it down. :D

LakesOnly
08-19-2003, 06:37 AM
cs19:
i would not recommend the red amsoil. Ive ran it in some highly modifed 2 strokes with poor results and lots of piston skirt wear.the other dark blue is better. The dark blue is the pure synthetic that Amsoil recommends be pre-mixed up to 100:1. It's great stuff and has been run successfully at lean as 1 oz per gallon (128:1).
I raced shifter karts for years. We use japanese dirt bike motors, but port the cylinders for long, sustained high rpm running. Amsoil, Redline or Motul sythetics are my preferred chioces.
LO

Cs19
08-21-2003, 05:18 PM
ive heard the same about that 100:1 ratio. hard to believe, bet it hauled ass when the motor was alive. My buddy who has ran everything and is still hardcore into 2 strokes is running klotz and is now hooked on it. After reading this thread i asked him whats his favorite now. miss those 2 stroke days, parts were cheap and I could run the shIt hard all day long and they stayed togethor. Now its a different story with a boat, i simply bum rides and just drink the whole time cause my fawkin boat is still not done!!! Lakesonly i used to race karts too, i ran the 100cc in an emmick chassis, had a ported cheater motor though, smoked all the other 100 cc karts. :D Speaking of oils, burris racing had their own oil out for like 2 years, best stuff i ever ran, was soon discontinued i think. :confused:

08-21-2003, 05:57 PM
The stuff I remember that smells so good is called "Blendzal"[sp] Specifically for 2 stroke engines. Ran it in racing outboards many many years ago.

LakesOnly
08-22-2003, 07:13 AM
cs19:
Lakesonly i used to race karts too, i ran the 100cc in an emmick chassis, had a ported cheater motor though, smoked all the other 100 cc karts. :D Speaking of oils, burris racing had their own oil out for like 2 years, best stuff i ever ran, was soon discontinued i think. :confused: I remember that Burris stuff.
I started in Karts long ago as a kid. My original racing was...well...I used to race cops back to my neighborhood. :rolleyes:
Entered formal kart racing in Sportsman, KT100S. TrackMagic chassis. Ran an early left-hand clutch motor with the cylinder flipped around (know what I'm talking about?). The squish was so damn close that I had a carbon dot in the middle of my piston only and when that motor was on the longer straights, I could hear the piston contact the head....fatten the mixture...and the motor cooled and the noise went away! Gapped ring at a mere .002" and broke it in hard for good clearance and ring seating.
Went to 80cc shifter the next few seasons. First with an Invader Chassis and then a European spec TrackMagic. This was early when many considered shifter karts "outlaw" karts and we were still fabricating our own motor mounts, etc. Just six to a field.
Then, when all the spectators saw just how insane these karts were, they said, "Wow! I'm gonna race a shifter!" Yeah, right...never raced and then sit in a car with the power-to-weight ratio of an F1 car (the 125 shifters). I'd never seen so many red flags at starts in a season in my life. Suddenly there were forty karts to a field, 80% inexperienced. I eventually got the hell out of there.
Now I want another one.
LO

LakesOnly
08-22-2003, 07:15 AM
058:
The stuff I remember that smells so good is called "Blendzal"[sp] Specifically for 2 stroke engines. Ran it in racing outboards many many years ago. Blenzall, Oilzall. Basically castor oil. Love the smell because it screams, "two-stroke!"
LO

Cs19
08-22-2003, 06:43 PM
I know what you mean racing the cops back to the house and sliding sideways into the garage before they pull down the street. I actually got popped one time and got a pretty bad ticket for an unregistered vehicle on the street.
not sure about the lefthanded clutch motor or the flipped cylinder. My clutch was on the other side , ran the horstman wet clutch, kinda pain in the ass sometimes. :D never failed me though. Yeah i remember leaning out the fuel mixture down the straight aways and getting like 13-14,000 rpms out of it with a pipe on it,didnt get as much with the can exhaust.
yes i hear you about the huge 125 fields running. I remember watching starts at adams track and seeing guys climbing up the back of other carts for the first few laps, but i also saw some of the most aggressive driving i have ever seen, kinda glad i never got involved in the shifters. wink
i really want another one too. After the motocross thing exploded i sold my bikes due to the crowds and am craving another kart for the weekends.

LakesOnly
08-22-2003, 10:07 PM
cs19:
...not sure about the left-handed clutch motor or the flipped cylinder. My clutch was on the other side... :D The Yamaha KT100S was originally built with the clutch on the LH side of the motor (inside near the driver's seat). The design was later reversed so that the clutch was on the outside of the kart and the 3rd bearing support could be added. Whether you had an early left-hand or late right-hand motor, the carb always pointed forwards.
When the 3rd bearing support (RH motor) became a rule, those of us with the early LH motors flipped the cylinder around and then rotated the whole engine 180 degrees and used a right-hand magneto/rotor for the ignition. Why? Early cylinders were the shit. With less attention to detail in the early engines, some early cylinders had advantageous port timing--so good, in fact, that the mis-matched transfer ports of the flipped cylinder against the crankcase didn't matter.
LO
[ August 22, 2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: LakesOnly ]

Cs19
08-23-2003, 05:42 PM
wow, thats pretty cool information. I cant believe the motors still ran well with the transfers not matching like they normally would. I guess the radical port timing made up for it. 2 strokes are so much fun, i miss those days sometimes.

Jet City
09-15-2003, 08:55 AM
Anybody run Dumond Tech (yellow bottle), that stuff kinda has a banana smell to it, very nice. I used Bel-Ray MC-1 for many years, then switched to Yamalube now using Maxima 927. Enjoying the smell of castor is worth cleaning my powervalve more frequently, although my YZ still runs pretty clean on it, I like a 40:1 mix.