PDA

View Full Version : 37 gears??

Dentz72
09-27-2005, 09:39 AM
I have a 468 twin turbo old banks deal putting it from my day cruizer to my flat...I have never ran it in the flat...!!468 single carb...bigger intercooler and single 850, merlin heads!! 8 to one, msd BTM and 110 oct!!Ran 6100!at 14 lbs of boost with a 400 turbo trans and pulled hard but I think it ran out of gear!!
The day cruizer was a 77 nordic 19ft with a 11 5/8 menkins 16 tree blade. It ran good..the best speed so far was 83 on the gps!
My flat is a 77 dimmarrco t-deck...3/8 runner!!2 speed powerglide with 37 gears, or 38's not sure! The guy I bought it from said it was the biggest gear you could fit without cutting the case! So....37 0r 38!!
My question is...with the turbo's and the powerglide in the flat...Should I be able to pull the gears well?? The prop is a 12 x 17 two blade!! My guess by reading the board's is I have too big of a gear but..I have a trans and turbo's...I am guessing the trans will help me load the turbo's for the big gear!!
I want to run hard and fast...but the acceleration to me is where it is at!!
The guy who owned it before me...said with 10lbs you should run over a hundred with the tall gear!! I am gonna try and run it next weekend if all works out!! It's should be a fun ride....Stab it and steer it....!!
The gears....Opinions needed??

obnoxious001
09-27-2005, 09:58 AM
I thik the gear should work, you are going to want to be careful while you figure how that boat works with that large of a prop. If you get the rear of the boat lifting, combined with the torque of the turbo, you could get yourself in some trouble. What engine did the previous owner have to pull that gear? Blown deal?

Dentz72
09-27-2005, 10:25 AM
I just talked to him..I gues it was a blown 468...dart heads and 10lbs of boost!! He said it ran 102 at the races on the radar...!! He said it should rock with my motor if the turbo's spool as well as they did in the cruizer!!
I tried the 12 x 17 in the cruizer...off of the flat....it burned it to 7gs and didnt go anywhere!! He said the setup worked great!! And he had it set up safe!The cav plates...he said he stood in the down...hammered it and let off slowly untill at WOT SPEED he was all the way off the down....!
He said...his wife drove it the way it was set up!!
I haven't change a thing!! We'll see! I am sure it was pretty safe compared to what others have...as far as up pedel goes!! Well see!! There's no up pedal!! Just down!!