PDA

View Full Version : Monster Bike................

Her454
09-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Meet the MONSTER
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139monster-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139monster2.jpg
Yasmin Assemi
Record Staff Writer
Published Monday, Sep 26, 2005
Dunham’s monster motorcycle was featured in a movie by Discovery Europe. Recently, the vehicle’s appearance during a local fund-raiser helped raise $433 for victims of Hurricane Katrina
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STOCKTON -- In a world of skeptics, Greg Dunham has triumphed.
The Stockton resident dreamed of building a giant motorcycle -- despite his fear of heights -- ever since he watched a monster truck rally on television 15 years ago.
In February, after three years of labor, he succeeded. Guinness World Records awarded him a certificate on June 15 for officially having the world's tallest rideable motorcycle.
"After a while, I had to do something in life," said Greg Dunham, 49, adding he's always been "an idea guy."
Dunham started building the motorcycle he calls "Monster" in 2002. It wasn't easy. He tore up his first draft plans for the big bike in frustration after he broke both his arms 10 years ago in a dirt bike accident.
The transmission also went out. Twice. That made him so mad, he said, he wanted to set Monster on fire.
The parts to build the motorcycle were collected mostly online and at wrecking yards. He did the labor himself, relying on his background in auto body and frame repair.
Bea Dunham, his wife of 30 years, supported the idea from the beginning.
"I'm all about following your dream," said Bea Dunham, who went to motorcycle races with her husband when they met as teenagers in Quitman, Ga.
"My thoughts are, if your ducks are in a row, and anything unforeseen does happen, it will work itself out," said Bea Dunham, who advised her husband to ignore the critics.
She has a photograph of Monster crushing a truck at Head-Lines, their Stockton hair salon.
"You need to build each other up, not tear each other down," she said.
Monster made its public debut in February at Bike Week, an annual motorcycle event in Daytona Beach, Fla. The bike placed third in the unusual class and was featured in a film by Discovery Europe.
Guinness World Records will videotape the bike in October.
His idea to build a giant motorcycle had its share of skeptics.
"They asked me, 'What kind of drugs you been on?' They thought I was crazy," he said.
Don Kennedy manages Kennedy Auto Co. and can vouch for that.
"I thought he was pretty crazy," Kennedy said.
Kennedy, however, never doubted Dunham would realize his dream.
His company donated the 1985 Chevy S-10 pickup that Monster squashed earlier this month.
To further avoid skeptics, Dunham said he stopped talking about the bike and wouldn't let anyone see it until he finished the frame.
There is a downside, however, to riding Monster. It's not exactly fuel efficient. Its gas mileage averages 6 miles per gallon, and the tank only holds 3 gallons of fuel.
Most recently, Monster raised $433 for the American Red Cross for Hurricane Katrina victims during a Sept. 11 fund-raiser on Pacific Avenue.
"If I had a dollar for every picture they took, I'd be drinking margaritas by now," said Dunham, his Southern drawl pushed to warp speed by his excitement.
Margaritas won't likely stop Dunham from fiddling with the bike or thinking of ways to make a living off of Monster. His ideas range from starting a television show featuring Monster crushing cars to offering advertising space on Monster. Bea Dunham already sells T-shirts and pictures featuring the giant motorcycle at their hair salon.
"People like big, bad stuff," Dunham said. "My plan is to get it out there."
For more information, visit Dunham's Web site at http://monster-cycles.com or e-mail him at info@monster-cycles.com.

Sleek-Jet
09-27-2005, 11:43 AM
That thing looks like a big Tote-Goat.... dig the bird catcher though... :D

Her454
09-27-2005, 11:44 AM
That thing looks like a big Tote-Goat.... dig the bird catcher though... :D
Thats what caught my attention to the article..... :rollside:

Jbb
09-27-2005, 11:46 AM
After a while, I had to do something in life," said Greg Dunham, 49, adding he's always been "an idea guy."
....Whats your excuse.......Brown.... :p

HocusPocus
09-27-2005, 12:27 PM
wonder if it does wheelies?? :idea: :idea:

Tom Brown
09-27-2005, 12:43 PM
....Whats your excuse.......Brown.... :p
My addiction to Internet forums has prevented me from making anything of myself.

Tom Brown
09-27-2005, 12:45 PM
"If I had a dollar for every picture they took, I'd be drinking margaritas by now," said Dunham
I wish this guy would tone down the hyperbole a bit.