PDA

View Full Version : Who's Gotta Hybrid? Whats your (honest) Mileage?

Flying Tiger
05-10-2006, 03:06 AM
Toyota is taking away my solar charged 100% Electric rave this December.
Damn,, I'm gonna miss that car. It's been awsum for the past 5 years.
It'll be replaced with a gas elect Hybrid.
We have 270 Toyota Gas/Elect Hybrids in the fleet, 250 Honda Gas/Elect Hybrids and have since they first were offered.
The early ones were pretty tired and gutless, but they're gone for the newer models.
The new models get better mileage, but nothing like what's claimed on the EPA sticker.
The replacement battery is $6k according to Toyota & Honda. Gas mileage maybe 15% better than the same non-hybrid version.
Our gas pumps are computerized as are our service dept records, and we're getting honest data of gas in vs mileage returned.
High / mid 30's mpg on average.
Our gas only civics and Corollas get mid / low 30's MPG. A few we have with the peppier motors and they get high 20's.
My brother-in-law in Seattle has a Toyota Hybrid, good mileage but says the regular (basic) Corolla is pretty close MPG for a lot less money, and it has more snot - power wise, and a simple driveline in compairison.
He'll have to take it Toyota for service because the driveline puts out some major league DC and AC AMPS and it's pretty much proprietary for Toyota to fix it. You'd be mad at the world for a long time if ya get bit by that current.
It puts ot juice passive with the motor off too, so training is everything.
What kind of true MPG you getting from your Hybrid?

callbob4homes
05-10-2006, 06:00 AM
I am not a fan of the hybrids (at least yet). Cost and service issues don't add up to savings if any IMO. My wifes new Volkswagen Passat with the 2 liter turbo 4 banger gets 28+ mpg around town and 35+ on the highway though, and is a kick to drive. Plenty of go for passing quickly or just horsing around. Gov kicks in at 130 though :cry:

havasu5150
05-10-2006, 10:18 AM
I've read where they get great mileage until you fire up the AC or another system that is a major draw on power, then they are about even with their gas powered relatives.

riverracerx
05-10-2006, 10:24 AM
Hybrids are ghey!

NOTALENT
05-10-2006, 10:29 AM
The new civic hybirds are suppost to get 50mpg.....I may be looking into one soon....gas prices are just stupid right now.

bohica
05-10-2006, 10:32 AM
If your not in AMT, the tax credits will offset the higher price somewhat. For 2006, the credit ranges from $1,550 for the Lexus GS450H to $3,150 for a Prius. All the others fall in between that range.

99 232 baja
05-10-2006, 10:51 AM
F*** any foreign cars good gas mileage or not.

spectras only
05-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Just get one of these flex fuel vehicles >http://www.e85fuel.com/information/ford.php
E85 is around 90 cents a gal .

YeLLowBoaT
05-10-2006, 11:21 AM
AS of right now it will cost you more over all to have a hybrid then it will to have its gas counter part. I would aslo be willing to bet that replaceing the batterys does more damage to the envorment then the gas bruned...

djunkie
05-10-2006, 11:25 AM
The new civic hybirds are suppost to get 50mpg.....I may be looking into one soon....gas prices are just stupid right now.
Do the math and compare the amount of money the little POS car costs to how much you are gonna save on gas and tell me if you still thinks its worth it? :idea: I'd rather drive my 18mpg $1500 Ford Ranger around town then makes payments on a damm ugly Hybrid. Thats just my opinion though. :rolleyes: :rollside:

2Driver
05-10-2006, 11:35 AM
I would aslo be willing to bet that replaceing the batterys does more damage to the envorment then the gas bruned...
This is about saving enough money so we can afford boat gas not the environment :D :D

RitcheyRch
05-10-2006, 11:42 AM
You want an economical little car. Go buy a 1987 Honda Civic CRX those little suckers got 45 mpg back then and they didnt even have fuel injection.

h2oski2fast
05-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Toyota is taking away my solar charged 100% Electric rave this December.
Damn,, I'm gonna miss that car. It's been awsum for the past 5 years.
It'll be replaced with a gas elect Hybrid.
We have 270 Toyota Gas/Elect Hybrids in the fleet, 250 Honda Gas/Elect Hybrids and have since they first were offered.
The early ones were pretty tired and gutless, but they're gone for the newer models.
The new models get better mileage, but nothing like what's claimed on the EPA sticker.
The replacement battery is $6k according to Toyota & Honda. Gas mileage maybe 15% better than the same non-hybrid version.
Our gas pumps are computerized as are our service dept records, and we're getting honest data of gas in vs mileage returned.
High / mid 30's mpg on average.
Our gas only civics and Corollas get mid / low 30's MPG. A few we have with the peppier motors and they get high 20's.
My brother-in-law in Seattle has a Toyota Hybrid, good mileage but says the regular (basic) Corolla is pretty close MPG for a lot less money, and it has more snot - power wise, and a simple driveline in compairison.
He'll have to take it Toyota for service because the driveline puts out some major league DC and AC AMPS and it's pretty much proprietary for Toyota to fix it. You'd be mad at the world for a long time if ya get bit by that current.
It puts ot juice passive with the motor off too, so training is everything.
What kind of true MPG you getting from your Hybrid?
Here is the reason: http://news.yahoo.com/s/kcra/20060508/lo_kcra/3452610

SB
05-10-2006, 12:29 PM
You should only get the hybrid if you spend a lot of time below 35 mph.
Hybrids are kinda stupid with 2 drivetrains.
There should be an elec motor with a small engine running at a constant rpm to recharge.

Cole Trickle
05-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Here is the reason: http://news.yahoo.com/s/kcra/20060508/lo_kcra/3452610
Interesting read.....
I always wonder what kind of mileage people get in there Prius's doing 80 MPH on the toll road.
I also read an article where is stated you would need to put approx 350K miles on a Prius vs. a base model honda civic to break even price wise.(Sadly that is probably using the factory ratings for MPG)
I converse with clients daily that are trading in there Big Soccer Mom Diesels for Prius's.The Average price people are paying for a Toyota Hybrid is in the mid 30's after the Toyota dealer gets done bonning them :cry: .
It's a trend like everything else and when I see a Priu's with a personalized plate that says HUGE MPG or LES FUEL it makes me want to run them off the road in my 550HP Corvette that gets 34MPG on the Freeway. :crossx: