scottys
09-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Had a great time. :D

ColeTR2
09-27-2005, 09:45 PM
I Saw you run a 134!! looked good!!

scottys
09-28-2005, 04:40 AM
Got her in the 7's,If I knew how to tune on alcohol I'd go pro-mod next year.
Really enjoyed the second round of BGH,Hydroquarterzone was crushed to find out there 65 second et win did not hold up when officials told them he did not cross the start line within the alotted 10 seconds.

BUSBY
09-28-2005, 08:38 AM
Um ... that was me (the official) ... and he didn't break the beam within the 15 second window (the allowed time) ... it was 15.114 seconds ... real close, but rules are rules ...
I had to stop the race and review the video of the starting line ... and yes he was not happy ...
I'm not the one who makes them (the rules), just the one who has to enforce them ...
and it was good seeing you guys out there!
Brian

superdave013
09-28-2005, 08:58 AM
I cut a 14.88 light once. lol
BUSBY, I stopped by a few times but you were always busy. I wanted to meet you but didn't want to interupt. I was the guy on the red mountian bike with Mike F.

BUSBY
09-28-2005, 12:10 PM
I cut a 14.88 light once. lol
BUSBY, I stopped by a few times but you were always busy. I wanted to meet you but didn't want to interupt. I was the guy on the red mountian bike with Mike F.
I figured that was you after I got home and read the dealio about carpooling ... would have loved to chat, but while loading the boat wasn't probably the best time ...
Mike stops by the house often, I live right around the corner from him ... swing by any time!
I might be making the v-drive regatta if I get my transmission back from Owens for some testing ... if you're there, I meet up with you then ...
Brian

superdave013
09-28-2005, 01:09 PM
nope, won't be there. It's all about the Parker 300 that weekend

voodooCanoe
09-28-2005, 01:18 PM
I Saw you run a 134!! looked good!!
For those of us that live up north and didn't get to see the races, post some
boat pictures so we can put a boat with a name. :smile:
Its hard to keep track with all the buying and selling that goes on down south!!!

scottys
09-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Never could figure that picture posting out.But the NJBA web site has pics of the 619 boat.

Cs19
09-28-2005, 06:11 PM
how did hydro1/4zone run? what was the best et/mph?

scottys
09-29-2005, 03:06 AM
Not sure on ET was low 8 high 7,140 mph. Mark has no co2 on the v-drive,it must be a hand full at the rope.

WaterBox
09-29-2005, 08:49 AM
I understand that the T.A.F. Speed and ET. Records were Blown away by the Justice Team. Congrats. Fred and Crew...

stix818
09-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Glad to hear that Justice set the record!!! Do you know if they will becoming to the world finals??
Scotty that's going to be my upgrade next year is an air shifter and hopefully a trans!!!!

scottys
09-29-2005, 07:29 PM
Glad to hear that Justice set the record!!! Do you know if they will becoming to the world finals??
Scotty that's going to be my upgrade next year is an air shifter and hopefully a trans!!!!
No way! you stuffing that thing in gear by hand?

stix818
09-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Ya unfortunately. That's the main reason why I had to replace the dogs in Oregon. The old man says I'm not slamming it in gear hard enough. I can see that you can definitely concentrate more on the tree with both hands on the wheel!!!

WaterBox
09-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Yes Justice will be there! Ming was a test & tune getting ready for the finals.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
09-30-2005, 07:55 AM
I understand that the T.A.F. Speed and ET. Records were Blown away by the Justice Team. Congrats. Fred and Crew...
What did they run chief? throw out some #'s for us! :cool:

WaterBox
09-30-2005, 08:25 AM
:idea: I can't remember the exact numbers, It was mid 6's and in the 160's. I think all the numbers are posted in one of the Drag Boat sites.

superdave013
09-30-2005, 08:56 AM
If you went to the races like myself and the other 3 dragboat fans that were there you'ed know all this info! lol :cool:

BUSBY
09-30-2005, 11:23 AM
how did hydro1/4zone run? what was the best et/mph?
I have no results from Saturday ... only Sunday & he didn't break the beam within 15 seconds ... so they weren't posted ...

BUSBY
09-30-2005, 11:28 AM
:idea: I can't remember the exact numbers, It was mid 6's and in the 160's. I think all the numbers are posted in one of the Drag Boat sites.
Sunday's runs:
1st pass - 6.725 @ 165.01
2nd pass - 6.837 @ 163.07
3rd pass - 6.863 @ 160.08
Haulin' the mail for a Flat!
Great looking passes! Old MPH record was 163.19 & ET record was 6.67, not sure, but I think he broke the ET on Saturday andI know he broke the MPH on Sunday.
Brian

WaterBox
09-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Yea, they was saying that the water was alot better saturday than it was on sunday.

scottys
09-30-2005, 02:39 PM
I have no results from Saturday ... only Sunday & he didn't break the beam within 15 seconds ... so they weren't posted ...
Mark stated the red light was never displayed.Also the other boat never crossed the finish line.Did the other driver move on to the next round or was he disqualified also?

Ex PSI Canyon
09-30-2005, 03:32 PM
Right on Scotty, That boat is a lot of fun to drive when you dont knock the kill switch. My plumbing is miraculosly still not done! I'm going out to Bartlett for 2 grudge races this weekend, we'll see how the Cole does against alot more HP.

Bt273
09-30-2005, 05:21 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/429flyte-2.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/429flyte-3.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/524/429flyte-4.jpg
Here are a couple that I took.By the way, it is not in the ass dragger club!

stix818
09-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Scotty, I'm not sure about NJBA but I'm almost positive that if one person doesn't pass the start within the allotted time then the win goes to the other boat as long as they cross the start before the allotted time (ihba I believe is 5 seconds but not sure) regardless if they complete a pass or not. I also believe that even if the other boat redlights and the other person doesn't cross the start (within say 15 seconds)the win goes to the redlight.

scottys
09-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Right on Scotty, That boat is a lot of fun to drive when you dont knock the kill switch. My plumbing is miraculosly still not done! I'm going out to Bartlett for 2 grudge races this weekend, we'll see how the Cole does against alot more HP.
Phoenix.bound Sun.I'll call and collect my % from Bartlett.

scottys
09-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Scotty, I'm not sure about NJBA but I'm almost positive that if one person doesn't pass the start within the allotted time then the win goes to the other boat as long as they cross the start before the allotted time (ihba I believe is 5 seconds but not sure) regardless if they complete a pass or not. I also believe that even if the other boat redlights and the other person doesn't cross the start (within say 15 seconds)the win goes to the redlight.
Figured,I just wanted to see it spelled out.
So how is your point chase going?Looks like your making a lot of the IHBA circut.

MandDPerformance
09-30-2005, 07:44 PM
I also believe that even if the other boat redlights and the other person doesn't cross the start (within say 15 seconds)the win goes to the redlight.
That's what I thought too. However; Mr. Busby and the NJBA crew made my team Inflight "BGF 440" re-run Capaldi in the situation stated above. I red lit by .002 and Capaldi didn't cross the beams for like 20 seconds and They made us re-run him because they "NJBA" couldn't decide what was right. That re run cost us a possible win in the finals when we kicked the rods out. One pass too many!!!!! :mad: :mad:
I guess when you get old and you have a lot of clout like Ray you can persuade people to do certain things........Some Day.
P.S.
No offense to anybody who reads this. Time heals a lot of shiat. But at the time we were sure confused and pd off.

flattie440
09-30-2005, 08:17 PM
That's what I thought too. However; Mr. Busby and the NJBA crew made my team Inflight "BGF 440" re-run Capaldi in the situation stated above. I red lit by .002 and Capaldi didn't cross the beams for like 20 seconds and They made us re-run him because they "NJBA" couldn't decide what was right. That re run cost us a possible win in the finals when we kicked the rods out. One pass too many!!!!! :mad: :mad:
I guess when you get old and you have a lot of clout like Ray you can persuade people to do certain things........Some Day.
P.S.
No offense to anybody who reads this. Time heals a lot of shiat. But at the time we were sure confused and pd off.
ya that for sure sucked!!!!!

BUSBY
09-30-2005, 09:16 PM
Yeah yeah yeah Tony ... I knew it wouldn't die that easy ... :D
The problem was (in your situation) was a dual disqualification ... your race was over before Ray even started ... with the red light that is ...
Ray's disqualification was the not breaking the beam w/i 15 seconds ...
So a dual disqualification was a "grey area" something we hads never had to make a decision on before ... now we have and have set presidence for future runs where the same situation happens.
The funnier thing was is that you have kicked his ass so badly ... he isn't coming back! (Thank you by the way ... as everyone knows, Ray and I don't see eye to eye) ...
And yes in Mark's case ... the other guy had broke the beam within the 15 seconds w/o red lighting, and Mark was disqualified by not breaking the beam within that time (the rules clearly state within 15 seconds ... that means at 15.001 you are too late).
His competition was advanced because when a person does not break the beam within the 15 seconds, their competition then has a legal single (the only way to beat yourself is by not breaking the beam or going out of your lane) ... unless they red light like in Tony's situation ... then it's a re-run at the Race Director's discretion ...
I hope that answers your questions ...
Brian

BUSBY
09-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Time heals a lot of shiat. But at the time we were sure confused and pd off.
And I again thank you guys for making it as easy on me as you did ... and again ... sorry about the engine, but didn't it feel good handing Ray his ass back to him AGAIN after you kicked it so badly? :)

stix818
10-01-2005, 05:14 AM
MandDPerformance that would piss me off to. That always seem to be something that would happen to us. :cry:
Scotty, were still in first but not by much (56 points). Had and I say had a pretty big lead but I've been chocking in the last 3 races!!!! :frown:

Scotty
10-01-2005, 08:01 AM
ya that for sure sucked!!!!!
Yeah that run wasted 10 quarts of oil :cry:

boat030
10-01-2005, 09:47 AM
The funnier thing was is that you have kicked his ass so badly ... he isn't coming back! (Thank you by the way ... as everyone knows, Ray and I don't see eye to eye) ...
Brian
WOW it's good too see the race director for NJBA is objective :eek: and seemingly so upset that a racer doesn't want too come race with NJBA anymore??????????

superdave013
10-01-2005, 10:03 AM
WOW it's good too see the race director for NJBA is objective :eek: and seemingly so upset that a racer doesn't want too come race with NJBA anymore??????????
Not just any racer either. The few fans that go to an NJBA race go to see the likes of Ray Capaldi run.
Now don't take this the wrong way and don't think I'm a hater but this is what I go to see and could care less about seeing.
I go to watch the flats run. Sure I'll watch a TFH but that's not why I drive up there. I could care less about all the hydro classes and I'll prolly be standing in line at Rex's booth getting my Tri Tip when the jetters are running. I drive the 3 hour drive to see in this order,
1. BGF
2. PGF
3. Ski FLat
4. Comp Flat
And of course I'll be watching the TAF's run too but don't follow them as close.

77charger
10-01-2005, 08:15 PM
I remeber my first race real good.LOL met don jones face to face conversation,hated tom papps crew for the protest also the msd guy(brule) for not getting my msd contingency done.and all the bs.We did win and go on to win all the races.I made alot of enimies but the next race i taked to papps crew(they gave me a beer)still not squared with brule(was still mad at the time even made a call to msd) next race brule came up and got bus taken care of.
Long story short end of season all these guys i hated from first race were nice people and good drinkin racers and friends by end of season.eneded up not hating them afterall.I guess that is boat racin weird sport i guess.
Will never forget the experience never met so many nice,helpful peeps and the oppurtunity i had to take advantage of even pitting with the bgf 440 crew at the beginng of the 2004 season.memories stay in your head for life as in my case.your still my bitch.LOL
THANKS FULGHAM FAMILY.

cyclone
10-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Not just any racer either. The few fans that go to an NJBA race go to see the likes of Ray Capaldi run.
Now don't take this the wrong way and don't think I'm a hater but this is what I go to see and could care less about seeing.
I go to watch the flats run. Sure I'll watch a TFH but that's not why I drive up there. I could care less about all the hydro classes and I'll prolly be standing in line at Rex's booth getting my Tri Tip when the jetters are running. I drive the 3 hour drive to see in this order,
1. BGF
2. PGF
3. Ski FLat
4. Comp Flat
And of course I'll be watching the TAF's run too but don't follow them as close.
well that just goes to show you that we all go to the races to see different things. i go to drive my boat. Then i go to watch:
BGJ
UBFJ
TFH
TAH
ETC.

Jetboatguru
10-01-2005, 08:46 PM
And yes in Mark's case ... the other guy had broke the beam within the 15 seconds w/o red lighting, and Mark was disqualified by not breaking the beam within that time (the rules clearly state within 15 seconds ... that means at 15.001 you are too late).
His competition was advanced because when a person does not break the beam within the 15 seconds, their competition then has a legal single (the only way to beat yourself is by not breaking the beam or going out of your lane) ... unless they red light like in Tony's situation ... then it's a re-run at the Race Director's discretion ...
I hope that answers your questions ...
Brian
Brian,
Not to nitpick, but the result you reached in Tony and Ray's situation seems inconsistent with the rulebook. As you indicated, section 13 of the General Racing Rules states that "a legal single only occurs when a boat's competition does not show or does not cross the starting line within 15 seconds of the green light." Then, paragraph 2 under Category states that a red light on a bye run or a legal single will not eliminate a boat from competition. So, when Ray didn't break the beam for 15 seconds, Tony was on a legal single and a red light should not have eliminated him from competition.
If you take it to the extreme, someone could put a boat on the line with the rods hanging out of it and with no intention of even starting it, but if his competition happens to redlight, he gets a second chance? It just doesn't seem like the result you would want to reach. Especially because the rules state that "the primary objective of each category race is to have one winner and one loser." Just a thought.

flattie440
10-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Brian,
Not to nitpick, but the result you reached in Tony and Ray's situation seems inconsistent with the rulebook. As you indicated, section 13 of the General Racing Rules states that "a legal single only occurs when a boat's competition does not show or does not cross the starting line within 15 seconds of the green light." Then, paragraph 2 under Category states that a red light on a bye run or a legal single will not eliminate a boat from competition. So, when Ray didn't break the beam for 15 seconds, Tony was on a legal single and a red light should not have eliminated him from competition.
If you take it to the extreme, someone could put a boat on the line with the rods hanging out of it and with no intention of even starting it, but if his competition happens to redlight, he gets a second chance? It just doesn't seem like the result you would want to reach. Especially because the rules state that "the primary objective of each category race is to have one winner and one loser." Just a thought.
i agree 100% tony

flattie440
10-01-2005, 09:07 PM
I remeber my first race real good.LOL met don jones face to face conversation,hated tom papps crew for the protest also the msd guy(brule) for not getting my msd contingency done.and all the bs.We did win and go on to win all the races.I made alot of enimies but the next race i taked to papps crew(they gave me a beer)still not squared with brule(was still mad at the time even made a call to msd) next race brule came up and got bus taken care of.
Long story short end of season all these guys i hated from first race were nice people and good drinkin racers and friends by end of season.eneded up not hating them afterall.I guess that is boat racin weird sport i guess.
Will never forget the experience never met so many nice,helpful peeps and the oppurtunity i had to take advantage of even pitting with the bgf 440 crew at the beginng of the 2004 season.memories stay in your head for life as in my case.your still my bitch.LOL
THANKS FULGHAM FAMILY.
we miss out there robert talk jim into bringing out the HOT DAMN HONDO again and go have some fun!!!

superdave013
10-01-2005, 09:11 PM
well that just goes to show you that we all go to the races to see different things.
that's what it's all about.
congrats btw.

Monkey Bung
10-02-2005, 09:07 AM
I was thinking the same thing "Farewell to NJBA" with this ASS as a director. How long has Capaldi been running? If you have personal issues with someone leave it to your self knowone wants to hear your Bullshit!

Fired Up
10-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Well, after a long year and a little shake down pre-race break-in ride last week at our local lake we brought the new motor to Ming to see how she would do. We were shooting for the 10:00 bracket. Roddy Blinzler from RK Machine in Ventura built the motor for me. A 468 BBC with a single 1050. Going from a 12+ second 80MPH boat to 10 seconds was going to be a jump. First pass off the trailer on Saturday was a 10:08 at 104 MPH and ended up as top qualifier. I was real happy with that. Boat actually felt easier to drive. Just need to smooth out my pedal technique. We tried a different prop which burned a little longer and seemed smoother out of the gate. Long story short I lost in the trophy dash by 7/100 of a second, but still had a great weekend. We will try a few minor changes for next month and just get the seat time. See you there.

race fan
10-02-2005, 12:12 PM
I was thinking the same thing "Farewell to NJBA" with this ASS as a director.
"Farewell" to your sorry ass. We are happy to hear you wont be around anymore.
If you have personal issues with someone leave it to your self knowone wants to hear your Bullshit!
Hey everyone dont bring up issues you may have with another, only Monkey bung can do that.
Its a tragic loss for NJBA we wont have this drunk in the pits to wipe the boats down anymore.
Racefan.

WHITIE
10-03-2005, 08:06 PM
Exactly Mike, Cant you see where NJBA is going to be in a year or so.. GONE, with these kind of people running it..

BUSBY
10-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Tony ... the problem was that Alan Doerr (the starter) didn't red light the course for Capaldi ... he was still cranking and left when fired. The situation was that Ray & Tony had was one where the starter made a mistake (not red lighting after 15 seconds) once the run was complete ... the board got together and voted on what to do.
The answer was re-run them. I am the person who delivers the news ... what do they say, "don't kill the mailman".
And to all else, Ray is coming back ... just not this year, you've just made an assumption that "he's not coming back" meant forever. I do appriciate a break from his attitude.
My personal relationships with individuals has nothing to do with decisions made which is clearly shown in this example (the Tony/Ray rerun) ... Ray is a very brash individual and isn't one of my favorite persons ... just like how the Pickney's don't like me for whatever reason ... we have never even met, yet they act as if they know me and I have personally done something to them ... :hammer2:
You act as if NJBA is declining ... well, I see it differently ... our boat counts are increasing this year, not decreasing.

BUSBY
10-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Exactly Mike, Cant you see where NJBA is going to be in a year or so.. GONE, with these kind of people running it..
Dale ... why you don't step in and fix it all? You seem to have the right attitude. :notam:

Jetboatguru
10-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Brian,
Why in the hell would the NJBA convene and come to the conclusion that there should be a re run when the rules state that after 15 seconds it is considered a legal single by Tony? The error by Alan Doerr is 100% IRRELEVANT!!. If Rays time slip read RT>15 seconds then it is painfully clear to see that he is DQ'd and Tony is on a legal single in which he cannot eliminate himself. I agree that Ray Capaldi is a horse's ass but as an official, you are not making yourself look good when you post that it is good if he doesn't race with NJBA anymore.
If you are trying to convince us that the boat count is up from last year and years past, you are gonna have to come up with some concrete evidence of that.
But please explain to me how the error by Alan Doerr brought about a rerun?
Thanks Brian,
Tony

BUSBY
10-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Brian,
Why in the hell would the NJBA convene and come to the conclusion that there should be a re run when the rules state that after 15 seconds it is considered a legal single by Tony? The error by Alan Doerr is 100% IRRELEVANT!!. If Rays tome slip read RT>15 seconds then it is painfully clear to see that he is DQ'd and Tony is on a legal single in which he cannot eliminate himself. I agree that Ray Capaldi is a horse's ass but as an official, you are making yourself look good when you post that it is good if he doesn't race with NJBA anymore.
If you are trying to convince us that the boat count is up from last year and years past, you are gonna have to come up with some concrete evidence of that.
But please explain to me how the error by Alan Doerr brought about a rerun?
Thanks Brian,
Tony
I know that thanking Tony for beating Ray might be considered inappropriate ... but it is what it is ... and stating that Ray and I don't see eye to eye isn't a secret, almost everyone knows that.
As far as Alans mistake ... let me ask you this, if you are on the holding rope ... and you are having a hard time starting ... you see that your competition has red lit ... you haven't been red lit yet ... what would you do?
It was the responsibility of NJBA's starter to red light the course after 15 seconds had past to notify Ray that he had taken too long. We (NJBA) didn't. Ray (not having a stop watch handy) proceeded to do what all racers would do, keep trying to start ... he did and proceeded.
Lisa & I brought up the exact rule (legal single) to the board members who were involved ... and they brought up the first or worse rule ... which was worse ... a Red Light or not crossing the beam? Both were a disqualification ... and IMO the legal single rule kicked in. In others ... Ray had already won because Tony lost upon his red light ... IMO it's clearly stated with the legal single ...
So, 1/2 of the board was for legal single, 1/2 wasn't ... a 50/50 deal ... I had to make a call, spoke to Don Jones about it ... and made the decision to rerun them. I still stand behind the decision. This prooves that my not seeing eye to eye with people does not come into play when making decisions. I made a decision that could have benefitted Ray ... but to Tony's credit ... they ran a better race.
As far as the boat count, it is up from the last 2 years ... not 5-10 years ago. I know that the club isn't as large as it used to be (I don't think any are or ever will be again any time soon) ... but the numbers are climbing again ...
The evidence is in the race results ... we averaged 55 boats last year, we are averaging 65 this year ... you saw the Sept. race ... we had 88 boats ... October should be close to that as well ... hopefully.
Hope that answers why & what happened ...
Brian

Jetboatguru
10-04-2005, 10:48 AM
I know that thanking Tony for beating Ray might be considered inappropriate ... but it is what it is ... and stating that Ray and I don't see eye to eye isn't a secret, almost everyone knows that.
As far as Alans mistake ... let me ask you this, if you are on the holding rope ... and you are having a hard time starting ... you see that your competition has red lit ... you haven't been red lit yet ... what would you do?
It was the responsibility of NJBA's starter to red light the course after 15 seconds had past to notify Ray that he had taken too long. We (NJBA) didn't. Ray (not having a stop watch handy) proceeded to do what all racers would do, keep trying to start ... he did and proceeded.
Lisa & I brought up the exact rule (legal single) to the board members who were involved ... and they brought up the first or worse rule ... which was worse ... a Red Light or not crossing the beam? Both were a disqualification ... and IMO the legal single rule kicked in. In others ... Ray had already won because Tony lost upon his red light ... IMO it's clearly stated with the legal single ...
So, 1/2 of the board was for legal single, 1/2 wasn't ... a 50/50 deal ... I had to make a call, spoke to Don Jones about it ... and made the decision to rerun them. I still stand behind the decision. This prooves that my not seeing eye to eye with people does not come into play when making decisions. I made a decision that could have benefitted Ray ... but to Tony's credit ... they ran a better race.
As far as the boat count, it is up from the last 2 years ... not 5-10 years ago. I know that the club isn't as large as it used to be (I don't think any are or ever will be again any time soon) ... but the numbers are climbing again ...
The evidence is in the race results ... we averaged 55 boats last year, we are averaging 65 this year ... you saw the Sept. race ... we had 88 boats ... October should be close to that as well ... hopefully.
Hope that answers why & what happened ...
Brian
Brian,
This is rediculous logic. The rules was clearly stated in my post the other night. The first or worse rule is in affect and clearly the worst infraction would have been Capaldi not crossing the beam within 15 seconds. The whole idea of this rule was to foil the "bluffer" on the starting line. Let me give you the scenario again.
Hypothetical-
Ray Capaldi has been scorching the liquid quarter mile all weekend long. He has been running 7.20's and just killing it.
Tony Constantino has bee running his usual under achieving numbers of 7.80
In Rays previous round he kicks the rods but nobody notices. He decides that he is going to go to the water and bluff his way through the round knowing he cant even fire his motor. He knows that Tony is going to take a stab at the tree and he has a good chance of Tony red lighting.
Tony takes a stab at the tree an bulbs.
Ray sitting there smiling like the cat that ate the canary has just moved into the next round with a broken motor.
Now you are going to say " but wait, Ray fired his motor and left and he wasn't broke." Well this is why you set a time limit on the RT i.e. 15 seconds. And in answer to your question of what would I do? Hell yes I would have been cranking on the starter trying to beat the 15 seconds. Alan doesn't have a stop watch either but he should. But you still have not addressed the issue of what is the relevence of Alans so called mistake when in actuality, he didnt make one.
The rules state that the purpose of the rules is to have a winner and a loser. There should have been no re run PERIOD!!
Here are the facts and here is the rule.
Tony C red lighted
Ray Capaldi did not cross beam before 15 seconds
RULE
Rules states that "a legal single only occurs when a boat's competition does not show or does not cross the starting line within 15 seconds of the green light." Then, paragraph 2 under Category states that a red light on a bye run or a legal single will not eliminate a boat from competition.
Can you show me where it states that it is the starters responsiblilty to red light the lane so as to let the driver know he is too late?
So where in any of this, would a rerun or a convening of board members come into place?
This the whole point of the people slamming on NJBA. Why even have a rule book? The NJBA is making up the rules and changing them as they go along and this is the CONCRETE Evidence of it.

boat030
10-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Brian
The boat count is up because you have a bunch of river racers coming out and racing, and while them coming out too race in itself is not a bad thing it doesn't draw any spectators and without spectators paying too come in and buying food and Beer(oh I guess that is out of the question too) the club cannot flourish it will probably sustain itself because there's enough guys that are willing too pay too much too race and not get anything more than a plastic trophy for winning. Now before you come back and argue against my point using the TAF class as your proof for a thriving NJBA keep in mind that most flatbottom guys feel the IHBA has treated them like a red headed step child too the hydro classes so the NJBA has pretty much grown that class by default and they shouldn't take that for granted like they have been so far because the IHBA is not a stupid organization and if they want those guys back it would probably only take one of those break the record and get $10,000.00 bonus deals and you guys will have a class like BGF is now where a guy can run 8sec. and win, believe me spectators aren't going to pay $20.00 to get in the gate too see that unless you let them get real drunk first and you guys don't seem to want to do that either.

MandDPerformance
10-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Guess I really stirred the pot this time. Just couldn't seem to bury that hatchet when I felt, and still feal, that we "the Inflight team" were the legitimate winners of that round of competition; despite my error. Thanks for bringing up some good scenarios Guru. I have the same rule book you do and I read it the same way you do. I didn't think it was that hard to understand.
And as far as Ray: is he a pain in the ass? yes!! Do I want him to come back? Hell yes!!
As far as I am concerned the more boats and the more competition the better the racing. BGF only had 4 entries last race. That's only 4 passes a weekend. A lot of money per pass. Not only that; It really is cool racing against drag boat legends like Capaldi. Especially when your fortunate enough to beat them!!! :D :eek: :D

BUSBY
10-04-2005, 01:55 PM
Brian,
This is rediculous logic. The rules was clearly stated in my post the other night. The first or worse rule is in affect and clearly the worst infraction would have been Capaldi not crossing the beam within 15 seconds. The whole idea of this rule was to foil the "bluffer" on the starting line. Let me give you the scenario again.
Hypothetical-
Ray Capaldi has been scorching the liquid quarter mile all weekend long. He has been running 7.20's and just killing it.
Tony Constantino has bee running his usual under achieving numbers of 7.80
In Rays previous round he kicks the rods but nobody notices. He decides that he is going to go to the water and bluff his way through the round knowing he cant even fire his motor. He knows that Tony is going to take a stab at the tree and he has a good chance of Tony red lighting.
Tony takes a stab at the tree an bulbs.
Ray sitting there smiling like the cat that ate the canary has just moved into the next round with a broken motor.
Now you are going to say " but wait, Ray fired his motor and left and he wasn't broke." Well this is why you set a time limit on the RT i.e. 15 seconds. And in answer to your question of what would I do? Hell yes I would have been cranking on the starter trying to beat the 15 seconds. Alan doesn't have a stop watch either but he should. But you still have not addressed the issue of what is the relevence of Alans so called mistake when in actuality, he didnt make one.
The rules state that the purpose of the rules is to have a winner and a loser. There should have been no re run PERIOD!!
Here are the facts and here is the rule.
Tony C red lighted
Ray Capaldi did not cross beam before 15 seconds
RULE
Rules states that "a legal single only occurs when a boat's competition does not show or does not cross the starting line within 15 seconds of the green light." Then, paragraph 2 under Category states that a red light on a bye run or a legal single will not eliminate a boat from competition.
Can you show me where it states that it is the starters responsiblilty to red light the lane so as to let the driver know he is too late?
So where in any of this, would a rerun or a convening of board members come into place?
This the whole point of the people slamming on NJBA. Why even have a rule book? The NJBA is making up the rules and changing them as they go along and this is the CONCRETE Evidence of it.
Well ... Alan's job has no written description ... but with the way the lighting system works ... he is the one who red lights the course. The way is works is the tower does time the lights and at 15 seconds, they tell Alan to red light the other driver (they are on live headsets connected the whole race). It is his responsibility. If you're there at the next race, I will show you how it works ... I can walk you through it.
It might have been a poor judgement call in your opinion ... but it was the one I made. No need to argue about what has happened in the past, the board has spoken about it at our meetings ... and it will never happen again.
And to make it clear ... I don't want to be mis-quoted here. I never said anything about Ray Capaldi being a "horses arse" or anything else ... I just said we don't see eye to eye on different things ... I did say he was a brash individual, and for anyone who knows him ... they would agree, he isn't one to keep his opinion to himself. Ray and I have laughed about a lot of different things, this arguement being one of them. He has helped me with the course set up numerous times ... and we have a certian respect for each other ... just wouldn't call him one of my best friends.
It appears that the same guys have targeted me (again) for whatever reason ... I just trying to answer your questions, people here are taking what I have said out of context and turning it into something that it's not.
So, I guess I should retreat like all other board members and not say a word or talk about anything ... it doesn't seem to make a difference.
See you at the races, I hope you all make it out.
p.s. ... about the boat count, it has been climbing ... not due to the TAF but due to the origination of our river racer class (thanks for the clarification boat030) but that class has brought an average of 8 boats per race and has turned some (about 12) into full time racers. The idea is to create a place for individuals to start.

Jetboatguru
10-04-2005, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=BUSBY]Well ... Alan's job has no written description ... but with the way the lighting system works ... he is the one who red lights the course. The way is works is the tower does time the lights and at 15 seconds, they tell Alan to red light the other driver (they are on live headsets connected the whole race). It is his responsibility. If you're there at the next race, I will show you how it works ... I can walk you through it.Brian, I am well aware of how the timing system works, no need to "walk me through it." Just because Alan doesn't red light the course doesn't mean the infraction didn't occur. The main reason behind the 15 second rule as i stated before is to A) avoid the playing possum bluff and have a clear cut winner. When you have a legitimate broken boat that won't even fire you are putting the other driver at unnecessary risk. He/she is hanging it out there in a race condition while the other boat isn't even able to fire.
It might have been a poor judgement call in your opinion ... but it was the one I made. No need to argue about what has happened in the past, the board has spoken about it at our meetings ... and it will never happen again.
I am interested to find out how they will handle a similar situation but I am glad they addressed it and are prepared for it the next time.
And to make it clear ... I don't want to be mis-quoted here. I never said anything about Ray Capaldi being a "horses arse" or anything else ... I just said we don't see eye to eye on different things ... I did say he was a brash individual, and for anyone who knows him ... they would agree, he isn't one to keep his opinion to himself.
To make things clear, I am the one that says Ray Capaldi is a horses ass!! And I mean a big one that stinks.
It appears that the same guys have targeted me (again) for whatever reason ... I just trying to answer your questions, people here are taking what I have said out of context and turning it into something that it's not.
So, I guess I should retreat like all other board members and not say a word or talk about anything ... it doesn't seem to make a difference.
See you at the races, I hope you all make it out.

BUSBY
10-04-2005, 04:11 PM
I am interested to find out how they will handle a similar situation but I am glad they addressed it and are prepared for it the next time.
Yes, I am ready ... as I was in Mark's issue this past wekend. I'm just sticking with what the rule states ... opinions caused a 2 hour ordeal & more time now ... but thanks for keeping it on track w/o the name calling like the others ...
To make things clear, I am the one that says Ray Capaldi is a horses ass!! And I mean a big one that stinks.
You know how things get turned around ... I just didn't want it to get back to him that I was name calling ... just stating that we don't agree on everything ...
Are you coming to Irvine this weekend? If so ... I'll see you there ...
Brian

BUSBY
10-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Guess I really stirred the pot this time.
pot stirrer! :D

MandDPerformance
10-04-2005, 04:14 PM
pot stirrer! :D
:D :D :D

WHITIE
10-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Dale ... why you don't step in and fix it all? You seem to have the right attitude. :notam:
Busby, I never acted like I have the right attitude,,I dont have the time to even consider trying to run a boating organization like this. My point is; you as a race director shouldnt post personal problems between you and some of the racers.. It really does reflect on NJBA because you are a big part of NJBA. I realize that I am in no situation to sit here and say my part because I dont race anymore. You would find that if you dont get involved in most of these topics on the internet you will be way ahead of the game.
Dale

Lookin for Liquid
10-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Just my logical opionion since this is a free forum, Alan made no mistake as it his not his job to time when the red comes on (timing computer s/b able to do that if programmed correctly) just to prep and fire the boats. The rule book rule of 15 seconds overides any decision on his part past 15 seconds and the time slip will prove it. Clearly there was an error here and people do not want to own up about it. First or Worse?, Not taking the Green is by far worse than Red lighting in the allocated time allowance as described in the rule book.
All racers are required to read the rule book and abide by them, Rules are made so you can explain it to someone very simply by saying remember the rule you read, not take a vote to overide it
This is very cut and dry, can't understand the peoples decision on this one as well

Cs19
10-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Sounds llike there was some confusion at the time, but it wont be a problem next time. Ok glad we cleared that up.
While we are on the topic of NJBA, Ive got a ?
Last race I was numero uno qualifier in my bracket, I was told by Don Jones that I was going to be in the left lane for the remainder of the day providing I would advance, he said thats how it works if you get #1. So in my first round I had a bye run and had choice of which lane I wanted to run. I obviously wanted the left lane so I could work on my lights in that particular lane since I would be racing in that lane for the remainder of the day.So I told him I want left lane,he said "no problem, you got it!" So I'm on the rope Im in the left lane and the guy in a flattie next to me says, "hey slide over one lane". I tell him "Im on a bye and have lane choice,Id like to get practice in this lane". He says in a bitter tone of voice, "Well I'm on a bye also, so slide over one lane". Shortly after I hear Alan say "418, please slide over a lane, your both on singles". I know its not that big of a deal, but it kinda pissed me off at the time, dont tell me I get lane choice if your gonna pick my lane for me.
Im new to this deal so gimme a break here, but if you guys get lane choice on a bye run, do you take advantage of it?
If you do take advantage of it, how would you have handled the situation?

BUSBY
10-04-2005, 07:02 PM
My point is; you as a race director shouldnt post personal problems between you and some of the racers.. It really does reflect on NJBA because you are a big part of NJBA.
Well ... let's take a look at what I said ...
What I meant and how I would have said it in person would have had a lot of sarcasim in my voice. Ray has figured out that he is out of the points ... so he's out for the year. I never brought any personal situation here between Ray & I ... just stated that we don't see eye to eye on things ... I don't see any Ray bashing here. Yes I shouldn't have said that Tony kicked his ass ... but if you guys were there ... you would have seen it ... Tony did!
You would find that if you dont get involved in most of these topics on the internet you will be way ahead of the game.
I agree with you here ... but I am trying to answer questions raised, without arguing. Trying to stay as factual as possible. One of the things that I didn't like when I wasn't involved with the board or being just a member ... was the fact that all of the board members kept things "secret" and things were never addressed. It was the "falling on deaf ears" idea that I was sick of.
Now I'm trying to be approachable and open with things ... and it's backfiring. I understand why previous board members have fallen back and tried to aviod confrontation ... but that is the reason I volunteered, to change that and try to fix the problems ...
So while trying to help, maybe my personality might not be to everyones liking ... but my intentions are good.
I'm just getting tired of trying to help and always being bashed because of it.
Brian

BUSBY
10-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Sounds llike there was some confusion at the time, but it wont be a problem next time. Ok glad we cleared that up.
While we are on the topic of NJBA, Ive got a ?
Last race I was numero uno qualifier in my bracket, I was told by Don Jones that I was going to be in the left lane for the remainder of the day providing I would advance, he said thats how it works if you get #1. So in my first round I had a bye run and had choice of which lane I wanted to run. I obviously wanted the left lane so I could work on my lights in that particular lane since I would be racing in that lane for the remainder of the day.So I told him I want left lane,he said "no problem, you got it!" So I'm on the rope Im in the left lane and the guy in a flattie next to me says, "hey slide over one lane". I tell him "Im on a bye and have lane choice,Id like to get practice in this lane". He says in a bitter tone of voice, "Well I'm on a bye also, so slide over one lane". Shortly after I hear Alan say "418, please slide over a lane, your both on singles". I know its not that big of a deal, but it kinda pissed me off at the time, dont tell me I get lane choice if your gonna pick my lane for me.
Im new to this deal so gimme a break here, but if you guys get lane choice on a bye run, do you take advantage of it?
If you do take advantage of it, how would you have handled the situation?
I think that was a Don/Alan mis-communication issue ...

BUSBY
10-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Sounds llike there was some confusion at the time, but it wont be a problem next time.
100% correct

Lookin for Liquid
10-04-2005, 07:14 PM
So I'm on the rope Im in the left lane and the guy in a flattie next to me says, "hey slide over one lane". I tell him "Im on a bye and have lane choice,Id like to get practice in this lane". He says in a bitter tone of voice, "Well I'm on a bye also, so slide over one lane". Shortly after I hear Alan say "418, please slide over a lane, your both on singles". I know its not that big of a deal, but it kinda pissed me off at the time, dont tell me I get lane choice if your gonna pick my lane for me.
Chris, unwritten rule is prop boats have majority overthrow of any suck, pump and squirt boats at any time of such said event. This rule was set in place to attract normal boats and to cater to such said normal boats to make the NJBA look good.

haulina29
10-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Busby you wouldnt make a good pimple on Rays ass . :hammerhea

Kurtis500
10-04-2005, 08:27 PM
but that is the reason I volunteered, to change that and try to fix the problems ...
Man-o-man.. This is hard enough to read on the internet, I cant imagine doing this in real life for FREE!!?? :boxingguy
Wheres the line at to be a volunteer?

MandDPerformance
10-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Wheres the line at to be a volunteer?
You must have missed it. Didn't you see it. The one with nobody in it. :idea:

Cs19
10-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Chris, unwritten rule is prop boats have majority overthrow of any suck, pump and squirt boats at any time of such said event. This rule was set in place to attract normal boats and to cater to such said normal boats to make the NJBA look good.
haha funny guy.
you ever sell that mako? if not are you ready to race my sorry ass jetboat?

Cs19
10-04-2005, 09:11 PM
I think that was a Don/Alan mis-communication issue ...
Copy that Busby, like I said Im new and still learning the ropes. Dont take that post the wrong way, I have nothing against NJBA and you know this.
Sounds like it was just a mis-communication.. Letting Alan know what the deal was from where I was sitting was pretty much not an option so I didnt really know what to do, so I just moved over. Later that day I saw BP yelling at the chicks on the barge to radio Alan something about the lights, apparently thats how you can communicate with him if need be.
Who cares anyways. :D
CS

stix818
10-09-2005, 05:25 PM
I was wondering what the starting line distance is for NJBA??