PDA

View Full Version : Bogging down problem

PaRaptor
08-01-2003, 09:07 AM
I have a 1979 Rinkerbuilt with a GM 4cyl motor, and a OMC 400 sterndrive. The question is when I try to get on the throttle fast the boat bogs down and sometimes stalls. This boat was sitting for about 3 years and I was wondering what might be the problem or what should I look to clean, like the carb or get new plugs or what? thx in advance..

Moneypitt
08-01-2003, 09:30 AM
PaRaptor, my first guess would be the accelerator pump in the carb. They tend to dry up, and loose their ability to push fuel through the nozzle. Without the "squirt" of fuel, the engine leans out, may die, may backfire through the carb, and will stumble on demand. If you slowly open the throttle, the main jet has time to start flowing, but a quick demand needs the accelerator pump to function properly and add fuel to the sudden rush of air. I would do a quick rebuild, get the carb type and number, go to your local parts store and buy a kit. You may find the inside is gummed up and flaky, a good "gumout" type spraying and a little elbow grease, as well as the replacement accelerator pump should solve your stumble/bog.
OR, just pick up a rebuilt carb, those little carbs are not expensive through auto parts stores, (stay away from marine stores), if they don't have a R/B unit, ask them to send yours in to their rebuilder, still cheaper than "marine" suppliers.....
If you know where the bowl vent is, you can put a couple of eye dropers full of Marvel mystery oil down the vent, allow it to soak awhile, (3-4 hrs) and MAYBE the pump will soften up, the kit is the way to go, or replacement with a R/B unit. Oh yeah, use the boat more often, and you won't have these problems! Ha Ha...Moneypitt

PaRaptor
08-01-2003, 09:35 AM
I actually just bought the boat off of a guy who had it sitting around in a garage.. But thx alot for the advice and also do you know a website or something where I can find parts for this motor, I can not find them anywhere.

Moneypitt
08-01-2003, 11:48 AM
I think, and I'm not sure here, but I think that 4 banger is the same as a mail truck 4 banger. Like a 154 or something like that,a shorter version of the 6 cyl. 194 that came in the real early, 62/64 novas, (you might check on the inboard/outdrive forum). If its a 154, or close, parts stores can GET what you need for the motor, even though they don't stock it....Moneypitt

DansBlown73Nordic
08-01-2003, 12:16 PM
N.A.P.A is the place to go. They can get most anything for that motor. It is a 151 cu.in. Used in Novas and some other cars. The carb though is a very common Rochester 2 Barrell. You can get a kit with the model # off the side. The kit is around $15.

PaRaptor
08-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Just wondering how you guys found out that information and thanks alot..

Moneypitt
08-01-2003, 08:05 PM
2 brl?? might be a 1 brl rochester on that little motor. Either way, a good parts store can fix you up.......Moneypitt

PaRaptor
08-01-2003, 08:30 PM
do you guys think this motor will be able to pull a tube or skis, I was told it would...

Moneypitt
08-01-2003, 10:43 PM
If you are planing to pull the kids, sure. Its like anything else, it depends on the load. A good skier isn't much of a load because they pop out of the water quickly, a not so good skier can drag a boat down because they are pushing the whole lake ahead of them. A tube is cool, as long as it skims across the water, like with the kids on it. A 280 lb lard ass (like me) would be a whole different story...Get the picture??....Moneypitt

Budweiser
08-02-2003, 09:43 AM
While you're at it... Go ahead and replace the spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and points. The cost is minimal. Plugs could possibly be the culprit of your problem, but it sounds like your on the right track with the carb. The total cost of carb kit,plugs,wires,etc. should be under a hundred bucks, and well worth it.
Just as a side thought... Is the gas in the boat three years old too?

PaRaptor
08-02-2003, 10:59 AM
LOL no I drained the old gas out and gave it an oil change as soon as I got it.. I just got back from the lake with it and it is still doing it but I didn't change anything yet.. Also when you run it for awhile and then start it back up it stalls out when you engage it into gear.. So you guys think the carb is the problem? I am headed to autozone right now to pick up plugs, rotor, and the rebuild kit. Also is it hard to rebuild a carb or should a novice like myself be able to do it?

Moneypitt
08-02-2003, 11:55 AM
I still don't know for sure which carb you have, but Yes, you can do it. The kit will have basic instructions, read the instructions, completely, before you start. Pick up some type of spray cleaner, gumout, or brake kleen, to spray through the passages, (assuming you don't have carb dip)and follow the instructions. As far as the ignition stuff, look over the cap/rotor, as you may not need them, boats actually see very few "miles" as compared to a car, and that is a car engine, the tune up is not a bad idea, but MAY be un necessary.....Moneypitt

Budweiser
08-03-2003, 05:46 AM
What rpm does the engine idle at when not in gear? What does it idle at when you are in gear? True, Cap,rotor,etc. MAY not be entirely nesasary to solve your problem. But the extra 15 or 20 bucks to have a nearly complete tune-up allways pays off in peace of mind and knowing I did a complete job and not just the bare minimum. I would consider the plugs an automatic replace... At least pull em and re-gap them if they look good. Change the fuel filter while you're at it.

Kurtis500
08-03-2003, 07:33 AM
I have/had the same kind of boat with the same motor in it. Couldn't pull me skiing.(200 pounds) It pulled the kids alright. It was also a deep-v. Sometimes it depends on the hull design if it is going to be faster or slower. I skied behind my friend tri-hull one time with the same motor/stern drive set-up and it worked ok.

PaRaptor
08-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Thanks for all of the help it is greatly appreciated.. I have heard from many people the this boat should pull tubes and skiers no problem but I guess I will have to wait and give it a try.

ONAROLL
08-03-2003, 08:41 PM
PaRaptor, I realize your a few states away, but I have one of these little engines complete from oil pan to carb, with the mounts still on it, dont know the condition since I never fired it up,it was left over from another project, its been wrapped in plastic sitting in the barn, will trade for beer, lol, if you can use it just email me vhall78@hotmail.com