PDA

View Full Version : Ca. registration question

myoung
09-27-2005, 08:41 PM
So.............every time I end up working on Flip's boat I start wanting one myself and I find myself nosing around in the classifieds. My Dad had a '60's Howard flat bottom when I was a kid and we always had a blast with that thing. Now I'm at that point where I kinda want one myself. I've never taken the plunge because the wife isn't exactly overly keen on the idea and besides, I have nowhere to put one in the first damn place, but that aside I get more interested every time I start looking around. So much so that now I'm curious about a few things and one of them is the whole Ca. VS Az. registration thing. Is it that much cheaper to have the Az. registration on say a 19 to 21 ft. boat, or does the value determin the luxury tax? I've never owned anything that had a luxury tax so forgive my ignorance. Just wondering if I should look more at Az. registered boats instead of Ca. registered ones to save some coin over the years if I were to actually get serious.

PBOCOP
09-27-2005, 08:50 PM
As far as I know, CA luxury tax is based on value, so it's probably not that much for an old boat like that. Especially when you set the value when you buy it at $500. Who knows.
I do know one thing. AZ doubled their rates within the past year. My new boat reg just went up to $345 for about a 16 month period. My 1994 21 footer was running me $16 a year. The lady wouldn't take any excuses and said sorry, we doubled our rates !

Kindsvater Flat
09-27-2005, 09:06 PM
My boat is $20 for 2 years and the trailer is $40 per year.

cal***boat
09-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Don`t worry about the personal property tax your going to pay because that is just a drop in the old bucket on what your going to spend on any boat for upgrades and maintenance in the long run.

myoung
09-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Don`t worry about the personal property tax your going to pay because that is just a drop in the old bucket on what your going to spend on any boat for upgrades and maintenance in the long run.
Too true, I just wasn't sure if it was some outrageous ammount in the hundreds or just a little bit extra added on to pad some govt. pockets. The little guy has to put their kids through college somehow. :hammerhea