PDA

View Full Version : RIght location to ask?

azsyndicate
06-03-2002, 08:01 AM
Is this the correct board to ask questions about my boat engine? It is not a jet boat.
I have a 5.0 Volvo with EFI. The damn boat backfires when running at full throttle. It also has little to no hull shot was trying I am trying to wake board. My boat is a 19' Chaparral 1999. Any suggestions?

GasTurbine
06-03-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by azsyndicate:
Is this the correct board to ask questions about my boat engine? It is not a jet boat.
I have a 5.0 Volvo with EFI. The damn boat backfires when running at full throttle. It also has little to no hull shot was trying I am trying to wake board. My boat is a 19' Chaparral 1999. Any suggestions?
No...this is the right place...
Heres what you should look at...
1. Timming
2. Mechanical advance
3. Too lean
4. Burnt and/or out of adjustment valve
Good luck.

wsm9808
06-03-2002, 11:34 AM
is it a ramdom single backfire or several in rapid succesion sorta sounding like a machine gun?

stressedout
06-03-2002, 11:38 AM
Unfortunatly theres not much you can check without the proper diagnostic equipment. EFI engines are controlled by electronics. You can check the basics, spark plugs,plug wires and I would replace the fuel filter. EFI's require higher constant fuel pressure.Check wiring connections. Do not unhook any wires with the key on.

azsyndicate
06-03-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the reply's!
The backfires are random. We will be running at full throttle and then, BAM, and the boat hesitates a bit.
I called to see about getting it serviced at a local shop (Mesa, AZ) and I was told I would have to leave it there for 4 weeks! WTF that is almost 1/3 or 1/4 of the main boating time.