PDA

View Full Version : Car Emissions

Flashover
09-28-2005, 07:41 AM
What is the difference between Cali emissions and other states? We just Bought an 05 Gran Prix GTP, it was origanally from Cali and i guess has Cali emissions. Just wondering what the difference is and if it effects performance and MPG.. :D

YeLLowBoaT
09-28-2005, 07:45 AM
The way I understand it is on new cars there is really not much diff from state to state. then again I could be wrong

HOSS
09-28-2005, 07:47 AM
Damn near every vehicle made comes with California emissions because they have the toughest emmissions laws. Me,,,I cut the cat out. But I USE to own a muffler shop. :cool:

SB
09-28-2005, 11:07 AM
CA emissions are a little tougher, CA has been copied by some other states like NY and Vermont? Might be a little less power. The fed govt. should wipe out these extra regs. cuz they hurt our economy.

Flashover
09-28-2005, 11:12 AM
Is there any way to change what has been done for Utah emissions. :D

Ziggy
09-28-2005, 11:17 AM
These days the extra Emmission devises on the car rarely effect performance.
I've had two identical cars side by side, one with SULEV emmissions and the other with just the LEV, can't tell any difference when driving them.
Many manufacturers simply build 50 state versions of the cars now.
SULEV=super ultra low emmission vehicle
LEV=Low emmission vehicle.
My boats 6.2 merc is a low emmission engine too....See, I'm helping our cause :hammer2: :D :D

Dribble
09-28-2005, 12:05 PM
There is almost no difference. The California Air Resources Board always trys to stay a step ahead of the USEPA when it comes to motor vehicle emissions. Many vehicles are now 50 state certified. Those that aren't might have a slightly different ECU calibration for California. You would notice no diffrence in performance or gas mileage either way.
All vehicles built from 1996 on are required by the USEPA to be OBDII compliant. Cutting the cat out of one of those will throw a code and turn on the check engine light, because the rear O2 sensor(s) would detect the pre cat O2 levels and start switching.

IMPATIENT 1
09-28-2005, 12:12 PM
What is the difference between Cali emissions and other states? We just Bought an 05 Gran Prix GTP, it was origanally from Cali and i guess has Cali emissions. Just wondering what the difference is and if it effects performance and MPG.. :D
YOUR NEW GRAN PRIX HAS A ELECTRIC A.I.R. PUMP(SMOG PUMP).THE A.I.R. PUMP FIRES OXYGEN INTO YOUR CONVERTOR HEATING IT UP FASTER.FEDERAL EMMISSION DON'T REQUIRE THIS,CALI DOES.A.I.R. STANDS FOR AIR INJECTION REACTION TO CLEAR THINGS UP. THIS CUTS THE TIME IN HALF FOR YOUR CONVERTOR TO BECOME "ACTIVE". ALL THIS EQUALS TO LESS EMISSIONS. :idea:

IMPATIENT 1
09-28-2005, 12:15 PM
Oh I Forgot, It Doesn't Affect Hp Or Mileage. If Anything It Improves Mileage Slightlly Since The Pcm Can Take Over The Fuel Mixture And Timing Curves Alot Faster Since The Convertors Become Active Faster.

76ANTHONY
09-28-2005, 12:15 PM
check the tag under the hood and match it up with one from another state

Flashover
09-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Oh I Forgot, It Doesn't Affect Hp Or Mileage. If Anything It Improves Mileage Slightlly Since The Pcm Can Take Over The Fuel Mixture And Timing Curves Alot Faster Since The Convertors Become Active Faster.
Thanks for the info... :D :D :D