PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - Fugg'ing obnoxious Crows ( flying rats )

carbonmarine
09-28-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi Guys,
I have had it !!! Where I live there are these crows that are totally out of control. They get into peoples trash on trash day. Gawk at all hours, especially those in which I am sleeping...( The 5-6AM boner hours ) .... Anyhow, I have just resigned my self to ordering a pellet gun to rearrange the world to my favor and that of a peaceful neighborhood ... Is blasting crows off this planet illegal ?? Does anyone care ?? I am sure my neigbors would be as pleased to be rid of these flying rats as I am going to be... I woudl love to use my .22 , but that too loud, so I am resigned to other methodes like the pellet gun below....
http://www.compasseco.com/shop/images/1000xc.jpg :D

spectratoad
09-28-2005, 09:10 AM
I've been blasting birds that have been eating all my chicken food that I put out. 5 so far since this weekend. :notam:

riverbound
09-28-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi Guys,
I have had it !!! Where I live there are these crows that are totally out of control. They get into peoples trash on trash day. Gawk at all hours, especially those in which I am sleeping...( The 5-6AM boner hours ) .... Anyhow, I have just resigned my self to ordering a pellet gun to rearrange the world to my favor and that of a peaceful neighborhood ... Is blasting crows off this planet illegal ?? Does anyone care ?? I am sure my neigbors would be as pleased to be rid of these flying rats as I am going to be... I woudl love to use my .22 , but that too loud, so I am resigned to other methodes like the pellet gun below....
http://www.compasseco.com/shop/images/1000xc.jpg :D
I did it.....and happy to say. the crows now go out of their way to stay away from my house :D

Phat Matt
09-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Well the season runs 12/3 - 4/5. The daily bag limit is 24. You can have 48 in possesion. I think you will have a problem hunting within city limits though. :D

Phat Daddy
09-28-2005, 09:49 AM
I use to shot them all the time and yes they are smart birds. They will learn to stay away from your place after you take a couple down. Plus its fun. :D

Nord
09-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Get a BB gun!!!
Or, put a fake owl out, that works!!!!!

2Driver
09-28-2005, 09:58 AM
Get a BB gun!!!
Or, put a fake owl out, that works!!!!!
My fake owl never did work. Birds used to sit on the head and shit down it's face. I threw it away and stuck to my old trusty bb/pellet with scope. Buddy of mine has a laser for his...amazing how acurate.
BE careful firing that off in the city, I think you can be hauled in for it. If you are in Newport I am sure you are surrounded by friends of animals. Also consider what you will hit if you miss your target.

carbonmarine
09-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Yes.... That is main reason for 12x scope, up close and personal.

Sleek-Jet
09-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Yes.... That is main reason for 12x scope, up close and personal.
If that's one of the spring powered piston pellet guns, the scope won't stay centered long. The repeated shock of the piston and spring knock the scope off zero. I always was just as accurate at the ranges those things are good for by just shooting open sights.
Have fun.... :D

SummitKarl
09-28-2005, 10:41 AM
if I remember right it's not legal to shoot crows in California, (protected) but I can't say as I have not done it........I use a crossman 766 with .177 hollow point pellets (got pigon problems in havasu), Crows were a bit tuffer though, you need a good head or neck shot, they are one solid bird, and a chest shot never seems to penatrate, even with a good 500' plus per second pellet gun, I think the .22 pellet guns are almost a nesessity, try "Sherman" they make some good .22 cal pellet guns

BajaMike
09-28-2005, 10:59 AM
When I was a kid in Riverside, there used to be a bounty on crows.....you could get $5.00 for each one you killed.
:lightsabe :lightsabe :lightsabe
I think the program was run by the county or state agriculture department, for the benifit of all the citrus growers. :D :D :D There's hardly any groves anymore... :angry2: :angry2:
Awe.....the good old days!!!!
:boxingguy

Phat Matt
09-28-2005, 11:33 AM
if I remember right it's not legal to shoot crows in California, (protected) but I can't say as I have not done it........I use a crossman 766 with .177 hollow point pellets (got pigon problems in havasu), Crows were a bit tuffer though, you need a good head or neck shot, they are one solid bird, and a chest shot never seems to penatrate, even with a good 500' plus per second pellet gun, I think the .22 pellet guns are almost a nesessity, try "Sherman" they make some good .22 cal pellet guns
I wasn't kidding about the season and the bag limit. Look it up on the DFG website regulations.

Not So Fast
09-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Off track but good for a laugh :cool: My neighbor used to play the piano at 11pm upstairs in his bonus room which I could see right into from my bedroom. the good ole O.C. you know, anyway after about a week of this crap (I used to get up at 4:15 am) he woke me up as usual so I pumped up the ole pellet gun (Half asleep) and put one thru his open window and I could see the curtain move and the little sound it made. Next day while I was at work my oldest son (At that time about 12) said a detective came to the door and questioned him about this, he even showed him my pellet gun :2purples: The detective said this was very suspicious and that he would be back. He never came back!! Piano playing late at nite did stop though. True story NSF

Dave4XTC
09-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Alka Seltzer :crossx: :220v:

stoker
09-28-2005, 11:52 AM
I use mine to chase away the opossums and racoons.

carbonmarine
09-28-2005, 11:57 AM
MY HERO !!!!!
http://www.crowbusters.com/photos/mphoto76.jpg :D

JMC
09-28-2005, 12:01 PM
My neighbor has some sort of plastic pellet guns (from china...they are all over the net). It shoots a small plastic ball a little smaller than a pencil eraser. He has a pistol that runs on compressed gas. He also has a rifle thats good for 25-30 yards. I can say the rifle is very accurate! This one runs on a battery and is almost completely silent! They are both semi and fully auto...the rifle shoots just over 300 fps. It more than likely wont kill anything but your not going to take care of the whole swarm of black buggers anyway.....this way you wont have to mess with picking up the nasty birds. Set you out a trash can, switch it to auto and pepper their azz! I think you can pick up a rifle for around a $100 + a basic 7.2 volt battery. You can go through 25 rounds in around 3-4 seconds.

AquaBoogie
09-28-2005, 12:11 PM
With the dead birds laying around. Neighbors may begin to think you have West Nile Virus in the area. I used to shoot the pigeons in my backyard that would fly down and eat my dogs food. One of my neighbors came over and asked if I noticed any mosquitos flying around.

mmered8299
09-28-2005, 12:21 PM
MY HERO !!!!!
Nice shooting Tex! What did you end up buying?

2Driver
09-28-2005, 03:25 PM
MY HERO !!!!!
Do you eat crow? :rollside: :rollside:

Mohavekid
09-28-2005, 03:37 PM
I have this problem in the winter, the crows come to roost in the fruit orchards that surround my house, and some invariably set up shop in the eaves of my house.
I have found a Winchester 800x to work just fine.
They are accurate out to about 50 yards with the fiber optic open sights. The scope will be out of whack in just a few shots. They are tough birds, so a head or neck shot is necessary. After you pick off a few, the rest seem to learn to stay away.

ahhell
09-28-2005, 03:38 PM
UMMMMMMMM....soul chicken

Desert Rat
09-28-2005, 04:31 PM
I bought a GAMO 440 Hunter .177 pellet rifle for the fuzzy tailed rats (squirrels) and rabbits around here. It will also drop a crow like a brick. It is up to 1000 fps with the right pellets. Came with a 4x32 air rifle scope for under $200 at Big Five. It does the trick!! :D

Man-de-lone
09-28-2005, 05:56 PM
Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie.............................. :rollside:

riverroyal
09-28-2005, 05:58 PM
PETA,anyone have Pam Andersons number?