PDA

View Full Version : Any other Concealed Carry ***boat members?

DeputyDawg
09-28-2005, 12:21 PM
I was just wondering if any of my fellow ***boaters were packin'? The reason I am asking is that I am looking for a holster that I can actually tolerate for carrying my Ed Brown Kobra Carry(custom built commander length 1911 .45) I have been licensed for two years and have been carrying longer than that but I have always carried "Mexican Style" with my 1911s just stuck in my waistband which believe it or not is pretty comfortable, but it is just too easy for the gun to snag clothing on the way out which could drastically slow me down in a time of need.
If you carry what type holster do you use? If any of you carry a 1911 I would really be interested in what you use. Thanks!

Jbb
09-28-2005, 12:24 PM
I carry a 1991a1...much easier to conceal....and I always have it .....

cdog
09-28-2005, 12:42 PM
I just bought a Uncle Mikes belt holster for my Para O .45. You'll want size 5 for a 1911 full size like mine.
http://www.productwizard.com/unmiamhipho.html
http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=67
I carry when in Az. I like the fact that this holster holds an extra clip. I bought one for my glock too.

76ANTHONY
09-28-2005, 12:46 PM
ASK SUMMITKARL, HE HAS A PROBLEM WITH HIS HOLSTER :D :D :D :D :lightsabe

Ziggy
09-28-2005, 12:49 PM
ASK SUMMITKARL, HE HAS A PROBLEM WITH HIS HOLSTER :D :D :D :D :lightsabe
LOL- :D --Too funny. Its a reverse holster though

DeputyDawg
09-28-2005, 01:27 PM
originally posted by--Jbb
I carry a 1991a1...much easier to conceal....and I always have it .....
How would a 1991a1 be easier to conceal than my 4 1/4" barrel bob tailed 1911 Kobra Carry???

Mardonzi
09-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Galco makes some pretty decent leather... I have 3 of their holsters as well as a couple of bianchi's.

XTRM22
09-28-2005, 01:33 PM
How would a 1991a1 be easier to conceal than my 4 1/4" barrel bob tailed 1911 Kobra Carry???
I didn't even notice that your Kobra was a commander lenth till I went back and reread, probably a mistake. My SPringfield 1911 is surprisingly easy to carry inside the waist band but I''m leanin towards a new Springfiel in .45Glock. I have pretty small hands (quit snickering) and even a stock .45 is a little large. I generally caryy my P89DC, after all the rounds and a few season shooting it in IPSC I'm better with it then anything else.
Chuck

DeputyDawg
09-28-2005, 01:37 PM
I have heard that the Galcos are nice. I have also heard some good things about Don Hume holsters but I have not seen either in person. My problem is that I live out in the boondocks so there isn't anywhere close that I can and look at this stuff. I went to a gun show last month and saw some Bianchi stuff but didn't find anything I liked. I have several Bianchi holsters for different pistols I own but none of their concealed carry stuff.

XTRM22
09-28-2005, 01:42 PM
I agree with Mardonzi, Galco has some good holsters, concealableand otherwise. I've had real good luck ordering holsters by way of www.sportsmansguide.com, Check them out their pricing is really good too.
Chuck

DeputyDawg
09-28-2005, 01:45 PM
.originally posted by XTRM22
I generally caryy my P89DC, after all the rounds and a few season shooting it in IPSC I'm better with it then anything else.
If you buy a Springfield you will love it. I will be ordering a new Springfield Pro from their custom shop next month and can't wait to get it. I also shoot IPSC in the limited and limited 10 classes but I shoot a custom built.40cal race gun built on an STI frame with lightened slide and lots of other goodies. If I could just figure out a way to conceal it I would be the wrong mofo to mess with when the sh*t hit the fan. Especially if I could also carry a few extra 18 shot mags with it. It would be pretty hard to conceal my ghost holster though!

Mardonzi
09-28-2005, 01:46 PM
arizonagunrunners.com has some pretty good deals on gun leather. I personally like the S.O.B. for what you are carrying...

Jbb
09-28-2005, 01:48 PM
I didnt see it was Commander. length either... :eek:

XTRM22
09-28-2005, 02:03 PM
If you buy a Springfield you will love it. I will be ordering a new Springfield Pro from their custom shop next month and can't wait to get it. I also shoot IPSC in the limited and limited 10 classes but I shoot a custom built.40cal race gun built on an STI frame with lightened slide and lots of other goodies.
I love my Springfield 1911, I actually bought it to build into a gun to shoot IPSC with, then time and money got in the way. I used to shoot at the Pima Pistol club in Tucson and it was something to be a B/C class shooter in stock minors and watch Rob Leatham run the course in 1/2 my time with twice my accuracy. He was a truly nice, funny guy too.
CHuck

YeLLowBoaT
09-28-2005, 02:22 PM
galco makes alot of really nice stuff. how were you looking to carry?
http://www.usgalco.com/
I carried my colt commandor for years...tried every thing from inside the pant(my fav for ez axcess and good concielmet, but takes awhile to get use to it)small of the back( never lean back in chair) jack ass rig, ankle, "on the hip", middle of back, and finally a pair of pants that had a holster built in that was a cross between inside the pant and on the hip. the pants were by far the lease anoying. Fallowed by the hip. I never really like the jackass rig always made me fell like my arms were being held up.... not to mention with almost 3 years of carring it was the only time that I ever had a custmer see that I was carring( vest opened up alittle too much)
The small of the back, middle of the back and ankle were all very hard to get to quickly.
If you do deside to go inside the pant just make sure you have pants that are a size or 2 bigger or you will hate it. I wish I could remember who I got the pants from. I bought them on a hunting trip up in OR at a gun show that just happend to be in town.
why not just go to local gun store and ask them what they use and like????
besides every 1 is diff and there is nothing like trying it b4 you buy it. most gun stores will have a selection of holsters if they won't let you try it... find yourself another gun store.

YeLLowBoaT
09-28-2005, 02:30 PM
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=239&GunID=38
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=905&GunID=38
^ good for putting in in other places other then hip.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=2208&GunID=38
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?ProductID=846&GunID=38
^great if you must take it off and on alot.
hope that helps.

DeputyDawg
09-28-2005, 02:36 PM
originally posted by YellowBoat
I don't have any local gun stores. I will make a trip to Dallas or Houston in the next couple of weeks and I should be able to find something there. I just thought I would ask what other people are carrying 1911s in. I realize holsters are very much a personal preference. I will probably go with an "on the hip" or inside the pant rig of some kind.
.originally posted by XTRM22
I used to shoot at the Pima Pistol club in Tucson and it was something to be a B/C class shooter in stock minors and watch Rob Leatham run the course in 1/2 my time with twice my accuracy. He was a truly nice, funny guy too.
I have seen Rob shoot many times and yes, he is amazing! When it comes to shooting a 1911 in stock or modified trim Travis Tomasie is almost unbeatable when he is on his game.

djunkie
09-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Ok I have a question. How in the hell do I go about getting a concealed permit? I live in L.A. County so is it even possible for me?

Liberator TJ1984
09-28-2005, 02:42 PM
I carry a Wilson Combat Tactical style 1911 in 45 w/ 5" barrel
Bianchi makes come very nice Custom , Conceal Style holsters for the 1911's

DeputyDawg
09-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Are there any negatives to the paddle holster? I like being able to quickly take it on and off.

It's all Good
09-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 for IWB, www.miltsparks.com
Highnoon Slide Guard for OWB, www.highnoonholsters.com
If you like Kydex, the Comp Tac C-TAC is nice, www.comp-tac.com

Lake Ape
09-28-2005, 03:14 PM
I usually carry a Wilson Combat KZ-45 Compact with a belt clip. I usually have an old POS keltec in the truck, been licensed in 14 states since 1992.

STV_Keith
09-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Blade Tech IWB holster for my G27. :)

DeputyDawg
09-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Where did you find BladeTech stuff at? I haven't seen or heard of it before.

79 HUSTLER
09-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Ok I have a question. How in the hell do I go about getting a concealed permit? I live in L.A. County so is it even possible for me?
Good luck with that, I have been lucky to keep mine but good luck getting one.

Flying Tiger
09-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Not legally, but most cops know me,, and don't care that I pack.
I wouldn't hesitate to stitch a robber with a mad clip, or help a LEO in need.
Kill or be Killed.

Focker
09-28-2005, 08:03 PM
galco makes alot of really nice stuff. how were you looking to carry?
http://www.usgalco.com/
I carried my colt commandor for years...tried every thing from inside the pant(my fav for ez axcess and good concielmet, but takes awhile to get use to it)small of the back( never lean back in chair) jack ass rig, ankle, "on the hip", middle of back, and finally a pair of pants that had a holster built in that was a cross between inside the pant and on the hip. the pants were by far the lease anoying. Fallowed by the hip. I never really like the jackass rig always made me fell like my arms were being held up.... not to mention with almost 3 years of carring it was the only time that I ever had a custmer see that I was carring( vest opened up alittle too much)
The small of the back, middle of the back and ankle were all very hard to get to quickly.
If you do deside to go inside the pant just make sure you have pants that are a size or 2 bigger or you will hate it. I wish I could remember who I got the pants from. I bought them on a hunting trip up in OR at a gun show that just happend to be in town.
besides every 1 is diff and there is nothing like trying it b4 you buy it. most gun stores will have a selection of holsters if they won't let you try it... find yourself another gun store.
Question
I have a colt commander 9mm , is this the same you have.

wsuwrhr
09-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Who said it was LEGAL?
Brian

SSC
09-28-2005, 08:49 PM
Kramer vertical OWB horsehide holsters. Very durable. The fit is perfect and retains the weapon. Holster retains it shape, hence ease of one handed reholstering, which is more important then one might think. They are custom made. They do a good job of concealing the weapon and offer the ability to make a rapid presentation.
Good luck, SSC

Waldo
09-28-2005, 09:36 PM
This is a good thread!
Here's a ?...Anyone carry in their briefcase/backpack??? I have packed a 380 and/or my 40 sig conveniently in my briefcase in the past, but don't now. I'm not in the position to carry during business hours but usually have one in the truck otherwise.
Any thoughts?

YeLLowBoaT
09-29-2005, 06:17 AM
Question
I have a colt commander 9mm , is this the same you have.
I would think so.

STV_Keith
09-29-2005, 07:19 AM
Where did you find BladeTech stuff at? I haven't seen or heard of it before.
http://www.blade-tech.com
I hadn't heard of it before either, until I went to my first handgun class at Front Sight (http://www.frontsight.com). All the instructors were wearing them (and carrying Glocks), and I soon found out why. They are simple, comfortable and functional. Take a look - good stuff.

DeputyDawg
09-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Thanks.

superdave013
09-29-2005, 09:46 AM
I understand why a cop packs on and off duty. But wtf are the rest of you wanna be cowboys packin for?
Flying Tiger, you will get in trouble some day with that thinking.

YeLLowBoaT
09-29-2005, 09:54 AM
I understand why a cop packs on and off duty. But wtf are the rest of you wanna be cowboys packin for?
Flying Tiger, you will get in trouble some day with that thinking.
I don't carry any more. It was part of my job. If I could carry I would not. Why would I want to have 5lbs+ on my belt??? Also it is very limeting on what you can wear and still keep it hidden. I have only had 1 time in my life when I needed a gun and I was at home at that time when some 1 was trying to get in my house... even then my last choice in a weap was a pistol. It ended up be some 14 yo boys that got the lesson of thier lifes.

jg210302
09-29-2005, 10:02 AM
If you have a little time, my mother does custom leather work and can make any kind of holster you can imagine. She even has leather work she has done in the Smithsonian Museum... If you are interested let me know and I will get you her email...

DeputyDawg
09-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Wanna be cowboy huh? Well, I don't need to carry a gun to be a cowboy. I was a working cowboy from about 10 yrs. old to about 25yrs. old and a rodeo cowboy to boot for about 4yrs. So, now that that's cleared up. I usually don't carry a gun on my person but I do always have one in my truck if the need should present itself. Usually the only time that I carry is when I am at work, and I always carry then. I am a consultant in the oil business as well as money manager and whatever else needs to be done and I am often in situations where I have to carry large amounts of cash in remote places around questionable characters. There have been lots of folks that do what I do who have been robbed/shot/beaten/killed or just disappeared. That my friend is the main reason I carry.

superdave013
09-29-2005, 10:33 AM
and that's a good reason from a real cowboy. I was asking the wannabe cowboys, not the real ones like you (or LO).

Mardonzi
09-29-2005, 10:47 AM
I'm a fan of the "Open Carry" law in Arizona,, nothing like an open display for deterrence..

YeLLowBoaT
09-29-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm a fan of the "Open Carry" law in Arizona,, nothing like an open display for deterrence..
Why not just put a sign on your back, "SHOOT ME FIRST!!!!!" I Know that if my mind was made up to rob/hurt you and I saw a gun on your hip I would shoot 1st and then take what i was going to take anyways.

Mardonzi
09-29-2005, 03:12 PM
The thing about most punks who are likely to be shooting,, at least those I've come across, it that they are chicken shit cowards for the most part.. and would never even consider going after someone who was capable of defending themselves... front or back. Another thing is most of them can't hit shit unless they do the spray and pray method.

Redneck
09-29-2005, 06:49 PM
i carry a glock 27 40 cal love it small enough carry in a few different holsters

Riverkid
09-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Try Black Hills Leather.
I had them make me a rig for my Smith PC 945 and a spare mag/Surefire opposing side. It's quick and convenient, and it's right where it should be when I have needed it. Doesn't print and is actually pretty comfortable...
I have some other leather for a 5" .45 GC Gov't and it wasn't nearly as nice...

payloan
09-30-2005, 06:05 AM
What are you guys so f*&)&^n paranoid for? :cool:

DEAL BROTHER
09-30-2005, 07:30 AM
Colt pocket pony......holster fits in your pocket...if you work with it enough you can pull it pretty quick....

STV_Keith
09-30-2005, 07:54 AM
Isn't it funny that the only people questioning WHY are people from the PR of Kommifornia.
I choose to carry because it is my right as a citizen and my choice to do so. I choose to carry because I have been mugged and know the helpless feeling and choose not to let myself be in that position again.
Bottom line, it's my choice and I get to make it. Just like I make the choice to drive a Dodge, own a boat, go fast, etc.. Personal choices for each individual.

cdog
09-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Isn't it funny that the only people questioning WHY are people from the PR of Kommifornia.
I choose to carry because it is my right as a citizen and my choice to do so. I choose to carry because I have been mugged and know the helpless feeling and choose not to let myself be in that position again.
Bottom line, it's my choice and I get to make it. Just like I make the choice to drive a Dodge, own a boat, go fast, etc.. Personal choices for each individual.
I agree. I won't be a kommie much longer. I can kill way more people with my truck than with a 10 round clip. But the pussy lefties allways need something to blame in order to get people to look the other way while they rob us of our constitutional rights. One hair at a time.