PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe Upgrade?

Up 4 River
09-28-2005, 12:55 PM
I have a new to me Tahoe 2002 and am a little disapointed with the HP and towing. My old 1997 seemed to have a considerable amount more but maybe it was just me. I'm going to be putting the Gibson exhaust on it but what else would you guys recommend without breaking the bank. My boat stays at the river but for the odd trips when I do bring it back and forth I'd like to have some more power. Thanks

dimarcobros
09-28-2005, 01:14 PM
Just "upgrade" the whole car and get a new one with a bigger motor. :D
DMB

guardrail
09-28-2005, 01:16 PM
I have a new to me Tahoe 2002 and am a little disapointed with the HP and towing. My old 1997 seemed to have a considerable amount more but maybe it was just me. I'm going to be putting the Gibson exhaust on it but what else would you guys recommend without breaking the bank. My boat stays at the river but for the odd trips when I do bring it back and forth I'd like to have some more power. Thanks
I've got a 2000 tahoe (old style) with the vortec 5.7 and it tows the boat great but I also tow my jeep on a trailer to events and such and this last trip was probably my last with this truck. It's just too tough on it, I don't want to push it and break something. I'm putting the tahoe up for sale and am looking at 01-02 Duramax's and 00-02 Powerstroke's.

IMPATIENT 1
09-28-2005, 01:24 PM
I've got a 2000 tahoe (old style) with the vortec 5.7 and it tows the boat great but I also tow my jeep on a trailer to events and such and this last trip was probably my last with this truck. It's just too tough on it, I don't want to push it and break something. I'm putting the tahoe up for sale and am looking at 01-02 Duramax's and 00-02 Powerstroke's.
GUARDRAIL IF YA GET A DURAMAX GO FOR A 03 OR UP.THE 02 AND UNDER YEAR MAKES HAD FUEL INJECTOR PROBS THAT WOULD FILL THE BLOCK WITH DIESEL AND FLOAT OUT THE OIL.EVEN IF THE DEALERSHIP HAS ALREADY PUT IN THE NEW DESIGN INJECTORS ,YOU'D STILL BE BUYING SOMETHING THAT WAS RUN WITHOUT OIL FOR AWHILE.I'M A GM TECH AND SEE THIS PROBLEM DAILY.THE NEWER MAKES CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITH THE GOOD INJECTORS.IF YOU DO BY A 00-02 DURAMAX GO TO THE DEALERSHIP AND LET THEM PRINT OUT A WARRANTY CLAIM HISTORY SO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING INTO.CHANCES ARE YOU'LL FIND SOMETHING ON IT YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE.

guardrail
09-28-2005, 01:40 PM
GUARDRAIL IF YA GET A DURAMAX GO FOR A 03 OR UP.THE 02 AND UNDER YEAR MAKES HAD FUEL INJECTOR PROBS THAT WOULD FILL THE BLOCK WITH DIESEL AND FLOAT OUT THE OIL.EVEN IF THE DEALERSHIP HAS ALREADY PUT IN THE NEW DESIGN INJECTORS ,YOU'D STILL BE BUYING SOMETHING THAT WAS RUN WITHOUT OIL FOR AWHILE.I'M A GM TECH AND SEE THIS PROBLEM DAILY.THE NEWER MAKES CAME FROM THE FACTORY WITH THE GOOD INJECTORS.IF YOU DO BY A 00-02 DURAMAX GO TO THE DEALERSHIP AND LET THEM PRINT OUT A WARRANTY CLAIM HISTORY SO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR GETTING INTO.CHANCES ARE YOU'LL FIND SOMETHING ON IT YOU MIGHT NOT LIKE.
Thanks, I definitly keep that in mind!

sigepmock
09-28-2005, 01:40 PM
The exhaust is a good start. Also consider a free flowing air filter like a K&N FIP kit($350) last thing but most important is contact "Westers" or PCM for Less and get a custom tuned computer for the truck($400 or so). GM introduced a thing called Torque Management on the newer Chevy Trucks, Tahoes, and Suburbans that limit the amount of power the engine will supply no matter how much gas you give it. It was there way of producing more powerful engines but limiting Warranty issues with the trannies. Basically they say they are selling you a 300 HP engine but in reality you can only get 200HP out of it when you need it. I had a custom PCM made for my 99 and 2003 Chevy trucks and what a difference it made. They both drove like a whole new truck and had significant increases in seat of the pants power and MPG.
Jusy my $.02,
Chris

MOBrien
09-28-2005, 03:20 PM
I've got an '05 Z71 Tahoe and am having the same issue. Sure doesn't feel like 300hp. What the fock is a PCM and how in the heck do I avoid warranty voids when I take her into the shop for scheduled service??
exhaust and intake are definitely going on very soon.

PHOTOGLOU
09-28-2005, 07:51 PM
I've got an '05 Z71 Tahoe and am having the same issue. Sure doesn't feel like 300hp. What the fock is a PCM and how in the heck do I avoid warranty voids when I take her into the shop for scheduled service??
Get a hypertech or superchips in will lock the torque converter earlier and raise th HP the torque verter is prob why you feel less power

sigepmock
09-29-2005, 06:53 AM
The PCM is the computer brain that controls the engine and trans. The Torque Management programming allows the computer(PCM) to retard timing, slip the torque converter, reduce throttle, etc. Really a pain in the butt.
The hypertech or superchip programmers do a little bit of re-programming to the PCM but they are limited in how much they can change and only get you a small increase in performance. They are however easy to remove (takes about five minutes), before going to the dealer, although if they really wanted to check they could see the files had been written too.
The Wester tuned PCM is a full replacement PCM, you call them tell them what upgrades you've done (exhaust, intake, etc) and what gas you want to run (87, 89, or 93 octane) and they custom program it for you, they can even programm it for oversize tires or gear changes. I saw amazing power and drivability improvements. Like I said the truck was a completely different animal.
Typically when you order a custom PCM you have to send your original one back in to them as a core exchange. But you can keep your original PCM to swap out in case you need to go in for warranty, for an additional charge.
I never swapped the original back in I simply went to the dealer with the custom tuned PCM and they never noticed it, but I never went in for engine problems....only ABS problems, window problems, brake problems.......but that's another story......
Let me know if you have any more questions or need the number to Westers,
Chris

sigepmock
09-29-2005, 06:57 AM
Here's some links and info
Weeters shop in TX (http://www.westerscustomtuning.com/)
Westers (http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/)
Good luck.

Up 4 River
09-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the info. Basically I'm looking at $1,000 for the upgrades I want and it should make a considerable difference.
Quick Question Mock? Were you a Sig Ep at Cal Poly? Is that the house that had the red door?