PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Plumbing Options

Wet Dream
05-10-2006, 07:17 AM
I'm really only thinking of 2 options, but which one seems better? The lines from the tanks are equal, and come to a T at the center of the transom. From here, it'll go to the filter, but do I want to put it inside the stringer and run the line under the rail to the pump, or outside the stringer and have the fuel line hump over the stringer to the pump. Outside the stringer only makes it easier to change. Inside the stringer...and I have to find a new place to mount the battery.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/352Mvc-687f.jpg

superdave013
05-10-2006, 07:30 AM
I hate drilling holes in stringers myself. Could you fab a bracket to catch some existing bolts some place?
What ever you do don't let braided hose rub on the stringers or mounts. They will wear a big groove in them faster then ya think.

Cs19
05-10-2006, 07:53 AM
all the sano installs have most everything inside the stringers, stare at it for a while and youll come up with a trick idea.I try not to put things under the headers for alot of reasons, main reason is the weep holes in the headers.

Taylorman
05-10-2006, 08:00 AM
I dont have a picture of how i did mine with me but i'll get you one. I put shut off valves on each tank. Last weekend i ran them both open and one tank emptied a little before the other. Sucking air from the empty tank = no fuel pressure. You need to have a way to shut off the empty tank.
The fuel filter i have is a perma cool. The head has two inlets and two outlets. I mounted the head to the back of my rear motor plate. I mounted two 3/8 npt ball valves to the inlets on the filter head and each fuel tank attached to the ball valves.
Heres the filter i got.
http://www.perma-cool.com/Catalog/CatImages/PG26-C1.gif

Wet Dream
05-10-2006, 08:02 AM
These are dry headers. I'll have all the stuff fastened so movement is a minimum.

FASTRAT
05-10-2006, 10:54 AM
every1 has there own idea's on how to run there lines to the fuel filter...i personally run 1 in-line filter in each line from the tanks to a T & then to the pump & 1 in-line filter after the pump to the carb...as Superdave says...keep the lines away from stringers & mts...and as CS19 says...inside the stringers is the sano way to do it...just my .02 cents
fastrat
p.s. Taylorman...
ur not suppose to run ur tanks dry! lol...ya gotta ck them every now n again :)

Taylorman
05-10-2006, 11:18 AM
every1 has there own idea's on how to run there lines to the fuel filter...i personally run 1 in-line filter in each line from the tanks to a T & then to the pump & 1 in-line filter after the pump to the carb...as Superdave says...keep the lines away from stringers & mts...and as CS19 says...inside the stringers is the sano way to do it...just my .02 cents
fastrat
p.s. Taylorman...
ur not suppose to run ur tanks dry! lol...ya gotta ck them every now n again :)
Funny guy u r!!! This was my first time out with my new fuel line setup and new fuel tank senders. I was trying to run them dry so i could calibrate my new fuel tank senders. This is the first time ive sucked from both tanks at the same time and i figured out that its not good if one tank empties before the other. :-)
Great advice though. I recently read an article in a car mag about fuel systems. It said the correct way to plumb filters is to run a 100 micron filter before the fuel pump and a 10 micron filter after the pump because fuel pumps are better at pushing fuel than pulling fuel.

Wet Dream
05-10-2006, 12:02 PM
How low did that fuel pressure go? Were you getting a lean condition?