PDA

View Full Version : Side draft carbs

HavasuBarney
03-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Need to know the set-up for side draft carb for a 454.
Want to put a flat rear deck cover and need a few inches clearance.
Curruently running a 750 dp
In a hurry if you can help!
Thanks

Hotcrusader76
03-13-2003, 12:36 PM
I haven't played with a side-draft as of yet. I've mod'd some webers before for a guy running a sand rail, but if you are interested give me a call.
Currently in shop I am overhauling/trickin' out these odd ball carbs-
-Harley S&S
-Weber (another sand cat)
-Honda Moped (don't laugh, because I did)
-Another Harley stock type carb
Call me if you're wanting something overhauled. I think I have a number somewhere for the side-draft experts. Let me check.
~Ty

GofastRacer
03-13-2003, 12:42 PM
You can get a manifold here!. :cool:
Moon (http://66.216.94.142/product.asp?0=318&1=328&3=1241)

boatguy222
03-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Barney,
I don't believe that anybody makes a sidedraft manifold for a BBC, there were some sidedraft adapters for a 4 barrel manifold, but they are few and didn't work very well, and I don't think that they are any lower that what you have now.
Kinsler makes a FI manifold that is a sidedraft type, but it's lots of $$$$$,
What kind of manifold are you running know, the LS6 corvette manifold are about lowest for that engine, they are different the the regular LS6 chevelle ones, maybe 1" lower.

HavasuBarney
03-13-2003, 09:20 PM
I was hoping for a simple solution...
I really appreciate the responses guys but it looks like we are re-designing a new deck lid instead.
When my customer asked me if he could do side draft carbs, all I could do is shrug my shoulders.
Your responses got us off the fence and back into action.
Thank you!

DogHouse
03-13-2003, 09:29 PM
Barney, if your customer is willing to spend some money and really wants the flat hatch, he could always do some sort of custom low-pro tuned port manifold/efi setup. Companies like Hogan (http://www.hogansracingmanifolds.com) and Wilson (http://www.wilsonmanifolds.com) will build you whatever you want but it won't be cheap. For that matter they'd probably build you a sidedraft manifold too.
-brian

Bow Tie Omega
03-14-2003, 05:22 AM
Barney, you are looking at alot of money to do the side drafts. Probably in the $2500-$3000 range. Fuel injection is an option. Believe it or not, there is a salvage yard in San Diego where you can get what you need for the EFI for nickels on the dollar. South Bay Auto Wreckers is the name and they have a website of the same name. If your customer is willing to go that route, give them a hollar. Just do your homework ahead of time and know what you want when you call. Hope that helps...Joe... You can probably get what you need for under $1000

Jordy
03-14-2003, 06:19 AM
HavasuBarney:
I was hoping for a simple solution... Simple solution? Is there such a thing when dealing with boats? What are you doing working on car boats anyway? :D :D :D :D
We need to get together and kill some frosty adult beverages when you get caught up and I still have a bunch of little stuff on my boat that needs your attention. :D

GofastRacer
03-14-2003, 06:47 AM
HavasuBarney:
I really appreciate the responses guys but it looks like we are re-designing a new deck lid instead.
When my customer asked me if he could do side draft carbs, all I could do is shrug my shoulders.
Thank you! Here's one alternative!.. :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12IR_Setup.jpg

Bow Tie Omega
03-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Dont side drafts just look bad ass!!!

boatguy222
03-14-2003, 02:31 PM
GofastRacer:
HavasuBarney:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12IR_Setup.jpg GFR,
Is that a picture of your tow rig? eek!

West Coast Dave
03-14-2003, 03:29 PM
Should be phrased side fuel injectors look bad ass as that is what is in the picture. Actually there are quite a few laid over mechanical fuel injectors around. Quite a few supermodifieds that run big blocks use that type of injector to give the driver a better view of the track. Most are in the mid-west and the Oswego, NY areas. If you are interested I'd look that way....

Bow Tie Omega
03-14-2003, 04:30 PM
Actually Dave, it should be phrased side draft fuel injection. Alot of street rodders run this setup as well. Many of the SoCal Stret Rod builders should be able to guide someone interested in the right direction.

West Coast Dave
03-14-2003, 04:38 PM
The injector looks like it is an EFI set up...?? Would be a lot more forgiving than a mechanical set. For racing the Crowers/Hilborns are great but for cruising......how much $$ for the EFI set????

GofastRacer
03-14-2003, 07:49 PM
boatguy222:
GofastRacer:
HavasuBarney:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/12IR_Setup.jpg GFR,
Is that a picture of your tow rig? eek! Man, don't I wish, that's a Kinsler conversion, AKA "Mortgage on House"... :D

GofastRacer
03-14-2003, 07:56 PM
West Coast Dave:
The injector looks like it is an EFI set up...?? Would be a lot more forgiving than a mechanical set. For racing the Crowers/Hilborns are great but for cruising......how much $$ for the EFI set???? It's a Kinsler EFI conversion from a mechanical dealio!, but the mechanical constant flow injection can work for cruising just as good, just takes a little time to set it up, no biggie!.. :cool:

HammerDown
03-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Side Draft EFI looks OK. But Dellorto DHLA's or Webers...= Way Cool eek! ! I really like Dellortos...and us it on my HD.
Wanted to add...A GREAT Book by Des Hallill> "How to build and Power Tune Weber DCOE+Dellorto DHLA side draft carbs....Very good book.
[ March 14, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]