PDA

View Full Version : How do you purchase a houseboat?

Familycat
05-10-2006, 07:34 AM
Looking to buy a houseboat in northern California. Not sure what is invlolved. Looking at Don Pedro, Lake Mclure, or New Melones. How are they registered,financed and are they sold through brokers like homes or are they sold like boats? Any input would be appreciated.
Rick

Cas
05-10-2006, 07:46 AM
here's a couple of places at Shasta
Shasta Houseboat Sales (http://www.shastalake-houseboats.com/) also has boats on Oroville
Pearson's Marine (http://www.pearsonsmarine.com/)
As far as I know they are registered as boats but can be classified as a 2nd home with similar financing. When we were looking a couple of years ago, we were checking boat trader online, the Redding and Oroville newpapers, craigslist and a few other places. There were all kinds of used ones anywhere from about $3,000.00 (needed LOTS of work) on up to about $300,000.00.....lots of choices.

Cas
05-10-2006, 07:53 AM
oh yea, the other thing we did when we were at Oroville a couple of years ago was cruised around the marinas. In the cove where Bidwell Resort is, there were at least 20 for sale of all shapes and sizes.

haulina29
05-10-2006, 07:57 AM
Search the internet there are lots of places to buy them . They are financed like a motorhome or yacht. I checked into it very seriously and ended up buying a lakefront house at Tulloch instead . You will go nuts trying to figure out what you want if you buy new because there is no inventory to look at like motorhomes but it was still fun looking. For financing try RV Lending Tree 866 788 7331 Kevin Marsh is who you would want to talk too he is the head honcho.

acatitude
05-10-2006, 07:58 AM
steps to buying houseboat
bring pen
bring checkbook

Familycat
05-10-2006, 08:04 AM
oh yea, the other thing we did when we were at Oroville a couple of years ago was cruised around the marinas. In the cove where Bidwell Resort is, there were at least 20 for sale of all shapes and sizes.
Thank you. We wend to Oroville last year for the first time and really liked the lake. Don Pedro is our first choice because it is close. We live in San Jose and Pedro is less that 3 hours away. Looking to spend up to $200k
Rick

Cas
05-10-2006, 08:16 AM
I just checked craigslist and there's quite a few houseboats for sale in the different areas. The one thing I was reminded of when purchasing a used one, make sure you get the pontoons checked. I don't think you want to buy one that you can put your finger through the pontoon. Yes, I did that when looking :D

bubbletop409
05-10-2006, 09:38 AM
A good friend of mine has a houseboat on Don Pedro, and from talking with him, it is my understanding that a permit is necessary, and that there is a limit on the amount they issue. Not even sure if you can get one now on Pedro. But if you buy a boat already there, the permit can be transfered. Plus I believe the is a yearly renewal fee on the permit, plus the monthly dockage or bouy fee. At Pedro some are kept in marinas, while others are moored on bouys. Besides Tahoe, Pedro is our favorite lake.

bocco
05-10-2006, 09:58 AM
BT409 is correct about Don Pedro. No permits are available. You have to buy a boat on the lake to get one. I believe junkers, also known as permit boats are going for around $80K when available. Pull it out and drop in a new boat.
The best way to find the boats for sale is cruise the lake and look for signs on the boats. You probably know that there boats at both ends of the lake. Flemming and Moccasin. Don Pedro does command the highest price for a boats. Also allows larger boats than the other lakes.
PM me for more info. I have a pdf copy of the latest newsletter that lists a couple of boats for sale that I can email.
Gary

haulina29
05-10-2006, 11:33 AM
Shasta changed their rules on grey water tanks and many small boats that cant be retroed will be going up for sale either for a Shasta permit or to be taken to another lake with no grey water regs .

bocco
05-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Shasta changed their rules on grey water tanks and many small boats that cant be retroed will be going up for sale either for a Shasta permit or to be taken to another lake with no grey water regs .
Was it legal to dump grey water on Shasta?

UltraStealth
05-10-2006, 01:41 PM
The problem with putting a new boat on DP is it cannot be wider than 16 feet. I am not sure about length though.

Familycat
05-10-2006, 02:32 PM
We are aware of the "permit" limitations. That is why we are looking at used boats on the lake. We are currently looking at a 55 by 18 that is very basic. Price is $110,000. Price seems about right. It has "mooring ball" at Fleming. I tried to post a picture of the boat but not sure how to do it. I tried to cut a paste but unsuccessful.
Rick

JetBoatRich
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
bring pen
bring checkbook
IT IS JUST THAT EASY :cool:

bocco
05-10-2006, 03:22 PM
The problem with putting a new boat on DP is it cannot be wider than 16 feet. I am not sure about length though.
Nope, 56 long by 22 wide. I think McClure only allows 16 or 18 feet wide but grandfathers in existing boats. You can extend the boat with fold down swim platforms.

Cas
05-10-2006, 04:31 PM
so when is the party on your new houseboat? :D

randy77zt
05-10-2006, 05:13 PM
don pedro is my local lake -but i run in the delta more.some of the houseboats on pedro are bigger than my house.all you have to do is have a boat and look for sale signs.if the permit is worth $80k and you buy a uasable boat for $100k that might not be a bad deal.you might want to get a marine survey on the hull though.but then again if it sunk you would still have the permit.

gearcase
05-10-2006, 07:44 PM
got a 2005 sailbration 54x14 fly bridge, big swim deck, 2 bed. had to buy a boat to get this one on lake. boat is on lake oroville. used to own house boat on don pedro fun lake. thinking about building a bigger sailbration for oroville. under 200k come cheak it out.

haulina29
05-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Yes older boats were still dumping grey water into Shasta not anymore.

DSIDan
05-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Looking to buy a houseboat in northern California. Not sure what is invlolved. Looking at Don Pedro, Lake Mclure, or New Melones. How are they registered,financed and are they sold through brokers like homes or are they sold like boats? Any input would be appreciated.
Rick
Talk to the guys at the yard at the House Boat Mini Mart Hgwy 59 at Don Pedro they will know whats for sale.
Don Pedro = Party, Party young folks and renters, Choppy
Mclure = retired quite folks, very friendly (I own on this lake) Choppy
New Malones = Sweet Lake, High walls little wind. I dont know much about the house boats there.
Good Luck :cool:

a catered life
05-11-2006, 06:23 AM
bring pen
bring checkbook
:p just what i was thinking

JetBoatRich
05-11-2006, 07:00 AM
:p just what i was thinking
Liar, you never think :)

bocco
05-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Yes older boats were still dumping grey water into Shasta not anymore.
That will get your permit yanked off of Don Pedro so fast won't even have time to sell the boat.

Sleeper
05-11-2006, 08:29 AM
I have a Houseboat on Don Pedro moored in the houseboat marina at Fleming and there are three boats for sale in the marina. The least expensive is $325,000.00.
I am going up Friday and would gladly show you the ones that are for sale in the marina, show you mine (not for sale) and answer any questions. I've had a houseboat on the lake for 20 years.

a catered life
05-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Liar, you never think :)
you might have a point there :p thinking is just unpaid extra work :rollside:

bocco
05-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Something else to consider. If you buy a boat in the marina where Sleeper is your monthly fee will be $425.00 per month starting in January. It's $225.00 if your out on a bouy. It's easy to move a boat from the marina out to a bouy because there are people waiting to get in on the marina. But you also pay a premium for a boat in the marina.
Be sure to cruise Moccasin point for boats also. It's a little greener and prettier at that end of the lake. But there are less spots to beach and fewer coves to hide in.

Familycat
05-11-2006, 02:16 PM
I have a Houseboat on Don Pedro moored in the houseboat marina at Fleming and there are three boats for sale in the marina. The least expensive is $325,000.00.
I am going up Friday and would gladly show you the ones that are for sale in the marina, show you mine (not for sale) and answer any questions. I've had a houseboat on the lake for 20 years.
I might just take you up on your offer. Can't do it this weekend but maybe sometime soon. We met last year over the 4th of July. I have a blue 22 Eliminator Daytona. Your houseboat is beautiful. The DCB isn't bad either.My goal is to have a houseboat in the marina. I think $300,000+ may be beyond my budget right now. There is an ad on Boatrader for a "roach" houseboat for $110,00. Still acquiring details but would get us on the water and give us time to build a new one. It is moored at Fleming in the cove beyond the marina. One concern is where would you have to park it when the lake level drops. Do you know of this boat? If you pm me your email address I could send you a picture as I am unsure how to post a picture here. Anyway we are excited but very concerned. We dont wat to thow away 100k. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rick

Sleeper
05-11-2006, 03:18 PM
I sent you PM with email and phone, Best of Luck in your search.

Desert Rat
05-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Thank you. We wend to Oroville last year for the first time and really liked the lake. Don Pedro is our first choice because it is close. We live in San Jose and Pedro is less that 3 hours away. Looking to spend up to $200k
Rick
Don't write off IMO one of the best houseboat lakes there is. Really give Shasta a look. Many owners from the bay area with boats up there, it is much bigger then Pedro and a lot nicer lake when water levels go down, still alot of lake left! You can spend MANY years Houseboating on Shasta and never park in the same place twice!

Boatmaster
05-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I'd take Sleeper up on his offer. After all you know he has good taste, He owns a DCB! :rolleyes: Sorry I had to say it. Pedro is hard to beat, but if you end up looking up north Shasta Houseboat Sales is a great place to start.

BajaMike
05-13-2006, 11:33 PM
got a 2005 sailbration 54x14 fly bridge, big swim deck, 2 bed. had to buy a boat to get this one on lake. boat is on lake oroville. used to own house boat on don pedro fun lake. thinking about building a bigger sailbration for oroville. under 200k come cheak it out.
Are you talking about "Sailabration Houseboats"??
These guys? or some other manufacturer??:confused:
SailAbration Houseboats (http://www.sailabrationhouseboats.com/)
About how much was your houseboat?
Thanks!:D

Familycat
05-15-2006, 06:59 AM
I'd take Sleeper up on his offer. After all you know he has good taste, He owns a DCB! :rolleyes: Sorry I had to say it. Pedro is hard to beat, but if you end up looking up north Shasta Houseboat Sales is a great place to start.
Its OK, I love DCB's. My wife and I have decided a F26 or Mach 26 will be our next boat. Hope all goes well with the yellow 204 Stoker. It is my brothers boat that I have nicknamed the (yellow submarine), a story for another time. Sorry you can't make the Berressa trip. It's our first outing of the year. Can't wait.
We agree Shasta is a better lake, but the drive makes it tougher to do for a simple weeked trip. Unlike many on the boards, I have to work most Mondays and Fridays. Pedro just works better for us. 350K for a 200k houseboat is a bit tough to swallow but we still are going for Pedro. I guess it's just supply and demand. We will have to be patient.
Rick

Cas
05-22-2006, 09:07 AM
here's one on Don Pedro, a little on the small side though
Houseboat on Don Pedro (http://www.craigslist.org/pen/boa/163239742.html)

Familycat
05-23-2006, 08:12 AM
Thanks, I just called on it.
Rick

Familycat
05-23-2006, 08:17 AM
We may be going to the Don Pedro this weekend. All campgrounds ore full but we are searching for cancillations. Would you happen to have phone numbers of the houseboats for sale you mentioned? We may have to do a one day recon trip if necessary.
Rick

acatitude
05-23-2006, 08:46 AM
damn rick your also going to have to consider a floating dock next to your houseboat so we all have a place to tie up for cocktails............

Familycat
05-23-2006, 01:44 PM
damn rick your also going to have to consider a floating dock next to your houseboat so we all have a place to tie up for cocktails............
Works for me.
We had so much fun cruising that rental patio boat around Putah Creek last weekend with all our boats tied together, a houseboat would mean the same and with power for a blender. Sweet.
Rick

acatitude
05-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Works for me.
We had so much fun cruising that rental patio boat around Putah Creek last weekend with all our boats tied together, a houseboat would mean the same and with power for a blender. Sweet.
Rick
guess ill be spending a lot of time at Don Pedro :220v: , hell it didnt bother me we were going around in circles all tied together :)

Familycat
05-23-2006, 02:54 PM
guess ill be spending a lot of time at Don Pedro :220v: , hell it didnt bother me we were going around in circles all tied together :)
It was a good day but do to the weather we didn't get our "fix" of boating in last weekend. So, we are looking for somewhere to go this weekend. Unfortunatley we didn't get any reservations so it looks like we will be doing one day trips to somewhere.
Rick

Sherpa
05-24-2006, 03:54 PM
I'd try for Shasta myself if I were looking, but I certainly understand the
thought of it being alot closer. Pedro is a nice lake....... I have a freind who
bought a "permit" boat, and re-built/trashed and started over with a new boat. some input from him about houseboats, storage, or yard fees.
The maintenance yard nearest the lake is pretty spendy to store a boat there. it's Alot more spendy than a $425/mo. marina fee.
they get a premium for pontoon work, as most other welding/repair work.
Most boats get pulled from the lake about every 4-5 years to have the
pontoons sandblasted/recoated........ lot's a work if you do it yourself.
I am told it costs about $1500 to have your boat pulled out, and put back in.
after all that, the fun of having your own houseboat to enjoy: priceless.
--good luck in your search.
--Sherpa

sam pioske
06-26-2006, 04:58 PM
We are going to do things diff. the end of the season, have a 50' x 14' on Lake Mclure with all the permit stuff Nice shape- gen. air conditioner It might be one of the only boats for sale on the lake. Maybe $140K give gailpioske@starband.net - or mtv@sti.net - attn. Gail a hollor if interested Thanks

Familycat
06-27-2006, 07:42 AM
We are going to do things diff. the end of the season, have a 50' x 14' on Lake Mclure with all the permit stuff Nice shape- gen. air conditioner It might be one of the only boats for sale on the lake. Maybe $140K give gailpioske@starband.net - or mtv@sti.net - attn. Gail a hollor if interested Thanks
Thanks, we will check it out.
Rick

Eliminator 4 Life
06-27-2006, 08:51 AM
BT409 is correct about Don Pedro. No permits are available. You have to buy a boat on the lake to get one. I believe junkers, also known as permit boats are going for around $80K when available. Pull it out and drop in a new boat.
The best way to find the boats for sale is cruise the lake and look for signs on the boats. You probably know that there boats at both ends of the lake. Flemming and Moccasin. Don Pedro does command the highest price for a boats. Also allows larger boats than the other lakes.
PM me for more info. I have a pdf copy of the latest newsletter that lists a couple of boats for sale that I can email.
Gary
Gary are you going up this weekend??? My buddy has a brand new boat well I should say new boat it is a 2003 I think boat for sale in the marina which it is hard to get something on the slip and if you are looking at boats on Pedro make sure a permit is included.. Rick Ill talk to you more about the house boat deals this weekend. Rob

Eliminator 4 Life
06-27-2006, 08:55 AM
I have been on sleepers boat very nice. I have been on the lake 20 years myself and Im only 30 I grew up in Don Pedro I worked for the marina in High school and I graduated from don pedro high school I got a lil more qualifacations then anyone. But like sleeper says there are atleast 3 for sale in the marina and one of them being a really good friend of mine.

Familycat
06-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Gary are you going up this weekend??? My buddy has a brand new boat well I should say new boat it is a 2003 I think boat for sale in the marina which it is hard to get something on the slip and if you are looking at boats on Pedro make sure a permit is included.. Rick Ill talk to you more about the house boat deals this weekend. Rob
Cool,
We have been looking at a 2002 as well as Calypso. A little to rich for my blood but my buddy is serious. He will be with us this weekend.
Rick

Sleeper
06-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Rob,
Chris sold his boat (375) the sale went through and the new owners were on it last weekend.
That leaves two boats (Calypso and El Tulipan) on the houseboat marina for sale.

Eliminator 4 Life
06-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Rob,
Chris sold his boat (375) the sale went through and the new owners were on it last weekend.
That leaves two boats (Calypso and El Tulipan) on the houseboat marina for sale.
Well that is good to know I talked to him 2 weeks ago and said he had a buyer well there were a few. Anyways he says hes really happy in texas. How much is el tulipan like 325?? Ill see you on friday afternoon. :)

Sleeper
06-28-2006, 07:30 AM
El Tulipan is about $400, but has a reverse floor plan which means the bedroom is in the front of the boat. Calypso is about $325.
Leaving for the lake in 15 min's.