PDA

View Full Version : As long as we're talking about "Splashing" gel coat designs

ULTRA28
05-10-2006, 08:41 AM
Magic has always pissed me off with their knock offs of my designs, but this is probably the most blatant knock off I've seen in years. Magic isn't alone in knock off designs, but they seem to be the ones doing it the most. I really shouldn't get pissed anymore, but for some reason I do.
My original
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/497ultraoriginal.jpg
Their knock off
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/497shittyknockoff.jpg

Jyruiz
05-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Wow, nice design.

dicudmore
damn work has the pic blocked :mad:
is that the 28' Cat that is a knockoff of something I've seen on a Shadow??
or another knock-off??

Tom Brown
John, do you smell toast burning?

soupersonic
05-10-2006, 08:47 AM
Imitation is the best form of flattery. :)

Kachina26
05-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Imitation is the best form of flattery. :)
Until it's your boat being immitated :D

Todd969
05-10-2006, 08:48 AM
damn work has the pic blocked :mad:
is that the 28' Cat that is a knockoff of something I've seen on a Shadow??
or another knock-off??
It's that one we saw this weekend and said the same thing.

Tom Brown
05-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Great design, by the way. :)
Those overlapping Glastron swoosh stripes are really attractive. :cool:

dicudmore
05-10-2006, 08:49 AM
It's that one we saw this weekend and said the same thing.
thanks...cause all I see from here is a red-X...

OutCole'd
05-10-2006, 08:50 AM
I guess they do look kinda similar........ :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BoatFloating
05-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Magic has always pissed me off with their knock offs of my designs, but this is probably the most blatant knock off I've seen in years. Magic isn't alone in knock off designs, but they seem to be the ones doing it the most. I really shouldn't get pissed anymore, but for some reason I do.
My original
Their knock off
I don't think they look a like at all..... One is on the water and one is on the trailer...;) Besides that I can kinda see the similarites :supp:

canuck1
05-10-2006, 08:53 AM
John, do you smell toast burning?
It's a good thing that John is only 3'8" tall or there would be trouble in paradise

SDLifesaver
05-10-2006, 08:56 AM
My original
Their knock off
I parked next to that boat at the Sandbar on Sat. I talked to them and told them how much I liked their design and told them that there is a VERY similar boat to theirs. Their reply was "Copy Cat". My reply was, I think the Ultra that has this design is about a year old and the first to have it. They said no more. The Magic was nice but the gel work on your boat John was untouchable. I'll say it again, one of the best gels on the water period imo. Nick

welk2party
05-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I agree that is identical and that really sucks that someone cannot attempt to even try and make some minor changes. However, the Ultra looks far and away better with the fades and transitions. The magic looks like it just has colors on it.
I saw that Ultra some time ago....one of my favorites John!

Tom Brown
05-10-2006, 09:00 AM
It's a good thing that John is only 3'8" tall or there would be trouble in paradise
I have a hunch that if I ever meet him, he'll go ShockwaveBob on my ass.

canuck1
05-10-2006, 09:01 AM
I have a hunch that if I ever meet him, he'll go ShockwaveBob on my ass.
Now you are talking all Hooligan...and shit

Mrs. Bordsmnj
05-10-2006, 09:02 AM
The orginal design on the Ultra is waaaaaaay better than the Magic. I am sure its super annoying having your designs copied all the time but yours are always better. You have, in my opinion, the best gel coat work out there. :p

shadow
05-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Thats not the first Ultra Shadow i've seen copied. :messedup:

Nord
05-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Good looking boats..........both of them. Maybe the guy who bought the boat is die hard Sleek/Magic, and loved your Gel scheme.
Or not :cool:

Cole Trickle
05-10-2006, 09:13 AM
It's obviously a blatant copy...
I think the design looks better on the Shadow because it has higher free board and it gives a better dynamic to the flow of the graphics.

HocusPocus
05-10-2006, 09:21 AM
i would be embarrassed to cruise around in a copy of someone elses design. if your going to spend the bucks on a boat.. at least be original. :crossx:

atomickitn
05-10-2006, 09:24 AM
The orginal design on the Ultra is waaaaaaay better than the Magic. I am sure its super annoying having your designs copied all the time but yours are always better. You have, in my opinion, the best gel coat work out there. :p
yeaaaah! he does pretty good work!...ha ha ha , just messin with you john, keep up the great work ... :rollside:

dicudmore
05-10-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm afraid he's right...
often imitated, never duplicated :wink:

sigepmock
05-10-2006, 09:31 AM
I agree but the Magic doesn't do the design justice, Ultra's gel has a lot more "depth" to it.
I understand the idea of "liking" someone else's design...just a shame that they copied it so EXACTLY. I wish the other manufactures would have a little respect and at least change it up a little bit to not make it so obvious.
I'm sure the owner of the Ultra wasn't too pleased to see an exact copy of his "Custom" boat out there....I know I wouldn't be.
Chris

dicudmore
05-10-2006, 09:34 AM
I agree but the Magic doesn't do the design justice, Ultra's gel has a lot more "depth" to it.
I understand the idea of "liking" someone else's design...just a shame that they copied it so EXACTLY. I wish the other manufactures would have a little respect and at least change it up a little bit to not make it so obvious.
I'm sure the owner of the Ultra wasn't too pleased to see an exact copy of his "Custom" boat out there....I know I wouldn't be.
Chris
Chris you've been here long enough to see all the copies of Darrell's Shadow right??
Cheetah, Elim and Nordic (that I know of) have all done it.
If memory serves, I think Darrell "discussed" the copy with Lonnie Fluent one day

laveydayz
05-10-2006, 09:55 AM
I know allot of people see a design and then have a builder duplicate it. It should be up to the builder to change it up some in my opinion. I guess it may be tough to tell a customer who is spending a large amount of money that he cant have what he wants??? Look at Halletts, every one i see has the same scheme just different colors. Thats their motto i guess is to stay simple?

phebus
05-10-2006, 11:01 AM
If memory serves, I think Darrell "discussed" the copy with Lonnie Fluent one day
"Discussed", your killing me :)

shadow
05-10-2006, 11:04 AM
Chris you've been here long enough to see all the copies of Darrell's Shadow right??
Cheetah, Elim and Nordic (that I know of) have all done it.
Shit Dan don't forget Aftershock and Domn8ter to the list. :crossx:
Lonnie is way cool,just a misunderstanding. :)

dicudmore
05-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Shit Dan don't forget Aftershock and Domn8ter to the list. :crossx:
Lonnie is way cool,just a misunderstanding. :)
I thought so but wasn't sure on those 2...
Agreed, Lonnie is way cool, met him at Topock last weekend :cool:

shadow
05-10-2006, 11:09 AM
I thought so but wasn't sure on those 2...
Agreed, Lonnie is way cool, met him at Topock last weekend :cool:
The Domn8ter is parked down the street from my work,just so happens i saw the Aftershock 5 minutes ago on my way home for lunch.

dicudmore
05-10-2006, 11:11 AM
The Domn8ter is parked down the street from my work,just so happens i saw the Aftershock 5 minutes ago on my way home for lunch.
guess that makes sense with Domn8er being all of a block away from your shop :wink:
fockin thieves everywhere these days

Todd969
05-10-2006, 11:13 AM
guess that makes sense with Domn8er being all of a block away from your shop :wink:
Did you ever see that one like yours?

dicudmore
05-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Did you ever see that one like yours?
no, and mine is in a locked storage so nobody can get close enough to start copying it :cool: :rolleyes:

Todd969
05-10-2006, 11:19 AM
no, and mine is in a locked storage so nobody can get close enough to start copying it :cool: :rolleyes:
I was sure I drove by one day when it was in the driveway and there was a guy sitting on a stool with an easel. And this one other time at band camp.... wrong day oops.

shadow
05-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Ah no big deal, :rollside: It's fun when i see copies on the water.I look at them and snicker,usually they look the other direction embar"ass"ed cause they know they are driving a knock off.Usually one of the passengers in the knock off are pointing my boat out to the driver and driver is like"i know,i saw it"but feels like too much of a moron to look at me while i snicker in thier face.
I'm over getting mad. :)

BajaMike
05-10-2006, 11:25 AM
The original is a really nice design and great looking gel!!
Beautiful.....too bad about the copy cat :cry: :cry:

haulina29
05-10-2006, 11:25 AM
The copy Magic did looks like shit the original is awsome !!!

phebus
05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
There is a boat out there, almost exactly like ours. The only problem is, it's older than our's. I bought used, so I can't be accused of copying his design, but if it wasn't such an awesome looking boat :) I'd feel sorry for the guy.

BajaMike
05-10-2006, 11:27 AM
The original is a really nice design and great looking gel!!
Beautiful.....too bad about the copy cat :cry: :cry:
Nice wheels on the trailer too....what size and brand are they?? ( I want to copy them) :D

INSman
05-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Magic should have said "No" and it was probably the owner of the boat that showed them a picture and asked them to recreate it. I would be pissed if someone copied mine :)

sigepmock
05-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Magic should have said "No" and it was probably the owner of the boat that showed them a picture and asked them to recreate it. I would be pissed if someone copied mine :)
wait for it.....wait for it.......

ULTRA28
05-10-2006, 12:01 PM
Funny you would say that. I actually had someone want your graphics. I told them we would have to come up with something original. We ended up go a whole different direction.

HOT ROD HOOLIGAN
05-10-2006, 12:06 PM
Nice design I think I will copy it. :crossx:

Say10
05-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Everybody in the "Circle of Trust" knows what they are looking at. Boat enthusists know. Big props to you John on your work.

schlepy
05-10-2006, 01:12 PM
John, your designs are simply the best and orginal. It sucks that someone wants to copy your style but no one can come close. Just look at the ones that try, they have nothing on you.
Marcel says what up...........

Todd969
05-10-2006, 01:19 PM
wait for it.....wait for it.......
I gotcha covered: Who in their right mind would want a lifesaver boat?

dicudmore
05-10-2006, 01:22 PM
thanks Todd...I didn't have it in me to post that :cool:

sigepmock
05-10-2006, 01:39 PM
thanks Todd...I didn't have it in me to post that :cool:
Thanks for not leaving me hanging :D I didn't have it in me either...but I'm suprised it took that long :rollside:

Cole Trickle
05-10-2006, 01:44 PM
Thanks for not leaving me hanging :D I didn't have it in me either...but I'm suprised it took that long :rollside:
Just because it's different dosen't mean it's bad.
I think the above mentioned boat looks great but I think it would be impossible for even Photoglou to find a truck that matches :crossx: :220v:

MrsSigEpMock
05-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Just because it's different dosen't mean it's bad.
I think the above mentioned boat looks great but I think it would be impossible for even Photoglou to find a truck that matches :crossx: :220v:
but as the thread states, it apparently isn't different. :p I still like it too. :boxed:

Cole Trickle
05-10-2006, 01:51 PM
but as the thread states, it apparently isn't different. :p I still like it too. :boxed:
Too be differnt you should consider doing a fruit loops themed boat!!!
Put a huge Toucan Sam on both sides of the boat and have all of the wheels on the trailer powdercoated in a variety of fruitfull colors!!!!
Thats what I would do if I was getting a new boat!!;):D

MrsSigEpMock
05-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Too be differnt you should consider doing a fruit loops themed boat!!!
Put a huge Toucan Sam on both sides of the boat and have all of the wheels on the trailer powdercoated in a variety of fruitfull colors!!!!
Thats what I would do if I was getting a new boat!!;):D
ooooooo, I like it. I wish I was getting a new boat! :cool:

Cole Trickle
05-10-2006, 02:00 PM
ooooooo, I like it. I wish I was getting a new boat! :cool:
Talk to the hubby and take a drive to Phoenix and visit Kachina......
They could turn your dreams into reality
I am sure if you play your cards right and treat Chris real-real-real good for a couple days he would order you up one sick floating cereal box!!!! :crossx: :idea:

MrsSigEpMock
05-10-2006, 02:02 PM
They could turn your dreams into reality
I am sure if you play your cards right and treat Chris real-real-real good for a couple days he would order you up one sick floating cereal box!!!! :crossx: :idea:
Only if it comes with an unlimited supply of milk.... and never gets "soggy" :crossx:

Jordy
05-10-2006, 02:04 PM
And I didn't have to say a word. :D :D

me4drvr
05-10-2006, 02:05 PM
How about the 2 side tone style, same boat, just depends if your coming or going.... splashing is always fun to see, the original and the copy....
This is my buddy's boat..
http://alssurvey.com/PICT4058.JPG
http://alssurvey.com/PICT4064.JPG

John.
05-10-2006, 02:08 PM
Funny you would say that. I actually had someone want your graphics. I told them we would have to come up with something original. We ended up go a whole different direction.
John,
you do an awesome gel. Here's betting that you will NEVER see a copy of the gel on our Ultra. I think we definitely have security in knowing that no one out there can do what you did with the ghosts in the gel and the airbrushing.
You are the Shiznit of gels. :cool:

Cole Trickle
05-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Only if it comes with an unlimited supply of milk.... and never gets "soggy" :crossx:
That sounds so yummy in a 110 degree havasu heat!!! :yuk:

MrsSigEpMock
05-10-2006, 02:20 PM
yeah I hear Kachina's are stinkin' rotten :messedup:

Cole Trickle
05-10-2006, 02:29 PM
And I didn't have to say a word. :D :D
Your slippin!!! :crossx:
Took you 2minutes to respond after the Kachina alarm went off;)

Cole Trickle
05-10-2006, 02:31 PM
yeah I hear Kachina's are stinkin' rotten :messedup:
On second thought you would look great riding in a Jell-O themed boat!!!
Name it the S.S. Jellow Shot Queen :p

TOBTEK
05-10-2006, 02:35 PM
My original
Their knock off
WOW........ your right, that is the most BLATANT splash EVER! its been said MANY times before, john has one if not the best gell coat painters on the west coat.... period!
John, Great talking with you this afternoon. Let me know if we can put a deal together soon and I'll pull the rig down to you. :idea: :D

sigepmock
05-10-2006, 02:59 PM
WOW........ your right, that is the most BLATANT splash EVER! its been said MANY times before, john has one if not the best gell coat painters on the west coat.... period!
John, Great talking with you this afternoon. Let me know if we can put a deal together soon and I'll pull the rig down to you. :idea: :D
WTF?!?!?!?!?!
You better be talking about the Rhino!!!!! :argue: :crossx:

Todd969
05-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Just picking on ya Blain.

shippingguy
05-10-2006, 03:14 PM
To bad that great gel coat guy and him no longer work together. I hope that the boats stay the same quality, because they are a awsome looking boat.
Might want to check your facts that is not true. The quality will be the same if not better.

WET HULL
05-10-2006, 03:25 PM
I take my comment back. They are working together again, which is great news. I just made a call and am sorry for the confusion?

dicudmore
05-10-2006, 03:34 PM
I take my comment back. They are working together again, which is great news. I just made a call and am sorry for the confusion?
were they ever not working together??
somebody help me out here...

hottrodder
05-10-2006, 03:36 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/497shittyknockoff.jpg[/QUOTE]
Note the Ultra on the beach in the background. A couple of peeps in the Magic are looking back at it.

WET HULL
05-10-2006, 03:40 PM
I am not going to touch on this anymore out of respect to both companies. They can fill in the details if they feel it is needed.

Dribble
05-10-2006, 03:49 PM
That's gotta make your blood boil.

shippingguy
05-10-2006, 03:57 PM
I am not going to touch on this anymore out of respect to both companies. They can fill in the details if they feel it is needed.
That's cool. The true details are as follows. Martin Casillas personally sprayed a boat yesterday and is spraying one tomorrow and is scheduled to spray three more next week. So Martin is still poersonally spraying all of John's boats @ Ultra.

Kilrtoy
05-10-2006, 05:53 PM
WAIT A MINUTE...
I bet that is the MAGIC that runs 85MPh with a 496
or is it
the one that runs 100MPh with a MERCURY RACING 525 MOTOR

Dan Lorenze
05-10-2006, 06:05 PM
That right there is a carbon copy...

shippingguy
05-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Well, that must be a new turn, because 5 days ago, Martin said he was not doing Ultras anymore, not by his decision.
5 days ago is 5 days ago. Let's just say I have a pretty good source on the topic. Enough said about this!

shippingguy
05-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Note the Ultra on the beach in the background. A couple of peeps in the Magic are looking back at it.[/QUOTE]
Actually it looks like there is a boat in the background, but the magic has a matched engine scoop on it. That is what you see. I was right across from this boat as it went through the channel that day.

ClownRoyal
05-10-2006, 06:16 PM
My original
Their knock off
Compare the two boats and the quality of the gel. Ultra is sick. Magic is well...trying. The fades on the Ultra speak for themselves. Hey...hard to get quality when you are turning out over 200 boats a year and the goal is 365. Whoops...did I say that?

Kilrtoy
05-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Well I have a neighbor, whose babies momma's cousin, once removed and now is a play cousin to the second neice of a friend who once visited san Diego said
:rollside: WHO CARES

TOBTEK
05-10-2006, 06:39 PM
SAVE FARRIS :)
WETHULL..... YOUR A TROUBLE MAKER :argue:

phebus
05-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Well I have a neighbor, whose babies momma's cousin, once removed and now is a play cousin to the second neice of a friend who once visited san Diego said
:rollside: WHO CARES
You just don't get it do you mister, he said enough already :rollside:

jojoshow
05-10-2006, 07:29 PM
I saw that Magic may 1st and LHC, and I've seen yours. Ultra's coats are better and always orignal. You can't help but get pissed, after spending that kind of $$.

greengo
05-13-2006, 12:50 PM
he may be a little slow after the sausage thing. copy this