PDA

View Full Version : Trailer wiring help please?

Lumpy
08-03-2002, 09:14 PM
Hello,
I have 6 plug round connectors. I wired everything as it should be (I thought). Turn signals work and stop lights work but everytime I try my running lights it blows a fuse in the truck. If I use a seperate battery and hold a hot wire to the running lights prong and a ground wire on the ground prong the running lights on the trailer work fine. The ground wire on the plug on the truck should just go to a good ground on the frame right? Any ideas? Thanks

flat broke
08-04-2002, 12:09 AM
Lumpy:
Hello,
If I use a seperate battery and hold a hot wire to the running lights prong and a ground wire on the ground prong the running lights on the trailer work fine. The ground wire on the plug on the truck should just go to a good ground on the frame right? Any ideas? ThanksLumpy,
Sounds like you have a short from the running light hot to ground somewhere upstream of the plug. Perhaps the round plug you are using has the two prongs reversed. To test it, get a voltmeter out and probe the truck plug with the running lights on. Once you find the hot lead, run a jumper from there to the running light lead on the trailer. Then ground the lead from the trailer to the truck's frame. If everything works your problem is in the pinout on your plug. If the fuse blows again, the problem is on the trailer side.
Good luck,
Chris

rrrr
08-04-2002, 07:22 AM
Try the separate battery thing with an inline fuse. I suspect it will blow. The battery has enough current to drive the lights with a low current short present.
If you have a multimeter, take the bulbs out of the lights and check the resistance between the running lights power wire and ground. It should not show any continuity.

Lumpy
08-04-2002, 10:04 AM
Thank you for the help guys,
Yep I had the ground and the running light wires switched on the trailer plug. Duh. Thanks again! Lumpy
[ August 04, 2002, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Lumpy ]