PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop receiving FAX spam?!

MagicMtnDan
05-10-2006, 09:04 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
I'm now getting 4-5 spam faxes a day. I don't want to have to call the 800 #'s provided on most (not all) of the faxes. Isn't there a do-not-fax list or some way I can stop this?
Aren't there federal laws against fax spam? How does one use them to fight fax spam? :mad:

Phat Matt
05-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Unplug your fax.

soupersonic
05-10-2006, 09:07 AM
What ? You dont need new ink for your fax machine yet? Im going to keep faxing you until you do and then hopefully you will call me for it :p

canuck1
05-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Tape 3 or 4 sheets of black paper in a loop and fax the spammers back

C-2
05-10-2006, 09:10 AM
Don't call the 800 numbers or you will start getting smap phonecalls!
A lot of the spam faxes come out of Canada, a loophole for the US laws/do not call list.
There are sites dedicated to fighting SPAm faxes and some companies will even try suing to collect on your behalf; do a quick search.
I can also PM you a neat little trick to find out where the faxes are coming from, lemme know if you're interested.

MagicMtnDan
05-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Don't call the 800 numbers or you will start getting smap phonecalls!
A lot of the spam faxes come out of Canada, a loophole for the US laws/do not call list.
There are sites dedicated to fighting SPAm faxes and some companies will even try suing to collect on your behalf; do a quick search.
I can also PM you a neat little trick to find out where the faxes are coming from, lemme know if you're interested.
I'm interested! Please PM me. :cool:

NOTALENT
05-10-2006, 09:36 AM
There should be a phone number on some of them...that say call this # to stop recieving these faxes.... some of ours that come through have it....

572Daytona
05-10-2006, 09:47 AM
I thought the don't call list worked for faxes as well. I registered my fax number there and I reported one company that was constantly faxing me. It seems to have worked as I don't get any spam faxes anymore.

KACHINA KEN
05-10-2006, 09:53 AM
If you are on Quest service you can get a service call anti solicitor, my phone never rings unless it's a real call, I never get spam fax or sales calls, worth every penny of the 5 bucks a month.

LGCDEVIL
05-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Call the 800# with the fax line, if it's dedicated. I bit the bullet and made it a point to call all the 800#'s for a month or two. Spam has gone from 2-3 per day to a couple times a month.

Wmc
05-10-2006, 01:01 PM
I haerd of a guy that sued every company that continually faxed him unsolicited faxes and he won everytime in court. He makes a living off doing this.

C-2
05-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Fax spammers are usually pretty sophisticated and will channel it thru 2-3 different sources and numbers to prevent you from being able to figure out who sent them. In the end, it's usually a hijacked number or some unsuspecting goof being paid to run a war dialer/fax out of his home.
Combined with the fact most small claims judges are "pro tems" (lawyers who sit on the bench for a few hours due to the shortage of judges), it makes for a circus like scenario.
I know several sharp collection guys who have researched the issue and found it's just too big of a pain in the arse.
Even calling the "vacation" numbers you receive is pointless - they get directed into answering services, who could care less if you call them repeatedly.
Send them threatening faxes back; writing you will tie up their 800 lines, which costs them money.
What sux is - SPAM faxing works very well. think about the costs of direct mail, and the cost for a brief phonecall. no wonder they do it.