PDA

View Full Version : Another Gun Question

Powerquestboy
09-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Since it seems like there are a lot of people here who own/carry guns. I was wondering where it is that everyone keeps there gun in the house? I am about to purchase a Glock 23 and was wondering what people do to keep it safe but quickly accessable. I always seem to have little kids at my house and I want to keep everyone safe. On the other hand if someone breaks into my place I dont want to have a 15 minute program to get at my gun. I have always been around guns but the way my dad hid his was smart enough for me to never find but still not very secure. Any ideas.

Creator
09-29-2005, 11:30 AM
A lock box and a trigger lock work pretty well.

Phat Matt
09-29-2005, 11:31 AM
You could go with something like this. Mine is in my nightstand, but I don't have any kids.
http://www.biovault-gun-safe.com/

Jbb
09-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Since it seems like there are a lot of people here who own/carry guns. I was wondering where it is that everyone keeps there gun in the house? I am about to purchase a Glock 23 and was wondering what people do to keep it safe but quickly accessable. I always seem to have little kids at my house and I want to keep everyone safe. On the other hand if someone breaks into my place I dont want to have a 15 minute program to get at my gun. I have always been around guns but the way my dad hid his was smart enough for me to never find but still not very secure. Any ideas.
The best home defense weapon you can buy.....Is firearms safety training.....and a shotgun....12ga.....with the shortest barrel legal and a pistol grip

NashvilleBound
09-29-2005, 11:36 AM
The Biovault is an excellent choice for the protection of your kids. Safety is priceless. At the least keep your gun hidden and away from your magazines so the two can not be put together. I am not a big fan of trigger locks for the reason you mentioned. If you need it its RIGHT NOW....wait...before you hurt my family let me find my key....duh. Glock is not my favorite but it is a great weapon.

NashvilleBound
09-29-2005, 11:37 AM
The best home defense weapon you can buy.....Is firearms safety training.....and a shotgun....12ga.....with the shortest barrel legal and a pistol grip
Geez, coming from you that is scary. :D :D :D :D :D :idea:

Powerquestboy
09-29-2005, 11:39 AM
You could go with something like this. Mine is in my nightstand, but I don't have any kids.
http://www.biovault-gun-safe.com/
Those are sweet!

IMPATIENT 1
09-29-2005, 11:40 AM
I HAVE A SAWED OFF MOSSBERG IN MY WATER HEATER CLOSET,WALTHER P38 BETWEEN THE MATTRESS WITH THE CLIP IN MY BED END TABLE.SPRING FIELD ARMORY 45 IN MY CLOSET,ALONG WITH MY RIFLES IN THE CABINET.TO MANY CRAZIES IN THE WORLD THESE DAYS.IF I SEE A LEG COMING THREW THE WINDOW ,IT'S GOIN TO BE A BAD DAY FOR THAT MOFO.
I HAVE A CALIFORNIA KING SIZE BED AND PUSH THE PISTOL BETWEEN THE MATTRESS UP TO MY SHOULDER SO MY KIDS CAN'T LIFT THE MATTRESS OR DIG FOR IT.THE 45 HAS A LOCK, THE SHOTGUN IS LOADED BUT WITH A BREACH LOCK. :devil:

Jbb
09-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Geez, coming from you that is scary. :D :D :D :D :D :idea:
I was a crime victim once.....It will never happen again... :)

DeputyDawg
09-29-2005, 11:41 AM
First of all when it comes to a firearm for home protection a pistol is never the best choice. If you are going to purchase a weapon to protect your family buy a shotgun. Something like a Remington 870 or Mossberg pump works great for this situation and you don't have to worry about over penetration if you should have to fire it. There are some of the 870s and Mossbergs as well as others available with shorter barrels that make them easier to handle when trying to clear a house for threats. If you must use a pistol be sure and put it in a lock box, especially a Glock. Glocks are very reliable but no switch on switch off safety mechanism. Always, always secure any weapon you have around your house with a trigger lock and or lock box, but the best way to safe proof a weapon is to educate your children and wife about gun safety!

NashvilleBound
09-29-2005, 11:42 AM
I HAVE A SAWED OFF MOSSBERG IN MY WATER HEATER CLOSET,WALTHER P38 BETWEEN THE MATTRESS WITH THE CLIP IN MY BED END TABLE.SPRING FIELD ARMORY 45 IN MY CLOSET,ALONG WITH MY RIFLES IN THE CABINET.TO MANY CRAZIES IN THE WORLD THESE DAYS.IF I SEE A LEG COMING THREW THE WINDOW ,IT'S GOIN TO BE A BAD DAY FOR THAT MOFO.
I HAVE A CALIFORNIA KING SIZE BED AND PUSH THE PISTOL BETWEEN THE MATTRESS UP TO MY SHOULDER SO MY KIDS CAN'T LIFT THE MATTRESS OR DIG FOR IT.THE 45 HAS A LOCK, THE SHOTGUN IS LOADED BUT WITH A BREACH LOCK. :devil:
I hope you have #6 or smaller shot in it. Anything bigger can go through 2 layers of drywall and can kill your family in the other room.....just a thought.

uvindex
09-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Since it seems like there are a lot of people here who own/carry guns. I was wondering where it is that everyone keeps there gun in the house? I am about to purchase a Glock 23 and was wondering what people do to keep it safe but quickly accessable. I always seem to have little kids at my house and I want to keep everyone safe. On the other hand if someone breaks into my place I dont want to have a 15 minute program to get at my gun. I have always been around guns but the way my dad hid his was smart enough for me to never find but still not very secure. Any ideas.I keep two of my handguns in a Quicksafe. Very secure, has one of those five-button cipher locks. I can open it in about two seconds, even in the dark, yet it keeps the guns safe from children. They're abuot $100 at gun stores or larger sporting goods stores.

NashvilleBound
09-29-2005, 11:43 AM
I was a crime victim once.....It will never happen again... :)
Is that how you got that cool eye of yours....(dont want to bring it to your attention or make you to self aware of it.....but it seems to have a life of its own;))

Powerquestboy
09-29-2005, 11:45 AM
the best way to safe proof a weapon is to educate your children and wife about gun safety!
I actually dont have kids but I have tons of nieces and nephews that are always around. My wife is a little paranoid so I'm a little worried about her as well so maybe the training for her is a good idea. Otherwise I might catch one in the chest if I come home late from a boys night out! :jawdrop:

2Driver
09-29-2005, 11:46 AM
I have the exact same Gock. I got a Gunvault. GO to www.gunvault.com
It uses your finger tips (in an open hand) to press a custom (you set) sequense of bttons... really fast and very secure. Door whips open, small light comes on. You can mount it in a varity of positions, even in the car. Try 3 times to figure out the code and you need the key to access it. I keep the 23 and a small Keltec p32 in there.
I think I paid around $125 for it and am very happy with it

Jbb
09-29-2005, 11:47 AM
Is that how you got that cool eye of yours....(dont want to bring it to your attention or make you to self aware of it.....but it seems to have a life of its own;))
In grammar school.....someone stole my new pez dispenser.... :jawdrop:

Jbb
09-29-2005, 11:48 AM
This should get the point across..... :smile:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860bang.jpg

NashvilleBound
09-29-2005, 11:48 AM
In grammar school.....someone stole my new pez dispenser.... :jawdrop:
ROTFLMAO!!! Touche'

IMPATIENT 1
09-29-2005, 11:51 AM
I hope you have #6 or smaller shot in it. Anything bigger can go through 2 layers of drywall and can kill your family in the other room.....just a thought.
THE SHOTGUN IS A LAST RESORT OPTION(AT THE OPPOSITE END OF THE HOUSE FROM ME AND THE FAM).IF SOMETHING GETS SO BAD THAT I END UP ON THAT SIDE OF THE HOUSE ,IT'S THERE!

Powerquestboy
09-29-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the info guys I will check out those safes. Both seem really nice

NashvilleBound
09-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the info guys I will check out those safes. Both seem really nice
Do the local safety course at the shooting range...and let your wife shoot it with some really light loads so she will know how it works and most importantly not be afraid of it.

DURANGOR/T
09-29-2005, 11:56 AM
stainless Ruger 9mm under the bed locked and loaded, and the Mossberg 12g in the closet. I guarentee if my pitbull doesnt get to 'em first, they are going to be one sorry bastard. But I dont have kids either, so probably not the safest way to store them. Durango R/T