PDA

View Full Version : Summer Camp for Boaters

Darrell's Bro
09-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Tell me if you think this would work and if you would be willing to participate.
We will be having another Naci Lake Bash next summer. Another thing I'm working on is providing a summer camp for kids from the inner city who could never afford it on their own. The camp would be held at the same property but at a different time.
Here's the question: would the Naci Bash participants be generous enough with their time and boats to spend the Thursday or Friday before the Bash taking kids boating? Keep in mind most of these kids have never been exposed to anything like the boats that all of us take for granted so to actually ride in one would be like a wildest dream come true. It would be the highlight of their camp experience that they would remember forever.
It's the generosity of Hot Boat people that can make this happen. Post feedback and ideas.
Thanks

Speedin' Ian
09-29-2005, 02:17 PM
I think there are plenty of people on here that would be willing to do that. A couple things to consider, you should have more people and boats commited than you need before you commit to the inner-city kids because there will always be people that have to back out. Another suggestion is setting the date way in advance so people can get the time off work. Lastly you will have to lay out some ground rules with the kids because a lot of boaters are very anal, and people who have never been arounds boats (inner-city or not) may do things boaters usually wouldn't do.

deltarat
09-29-2005, 02:20 PM
I think that this is a great idea. I would for one would be willing to help with this in any way that I could. Providing a smile on a child’s face is the most gratifying experience there is to have.

riverbound
09-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Tell me if you think this would work and if you would be willing to participate.
We will be having another Naci Lake Bash next summer. Another thing I'm working on is providing a summer camp for kids from the inner city who could never afford it on their own. The camp would be held at the same property but at a different time.
Here's the question: would the Naci Bash participants be generous enough with their time and boats to spend the Thursday or Friday before the Bash taking kids boating? Keep in mind most of these kids have never been exposed to anything like the boats that all of us take for granted so to actually ride in one would be like a wildest dream come true. It would be the highlight of their camp experience that they would remember forever.
It's the generosity of Hot Boat people that can make this happen. Post feedback and ideas.
Thanks
I would do that. Definitely need some rules put in place as far as boating rules and safety etc.... The other things that would concern me is liability issues. But I would definitely be down for this kind of thing.

Squirtin Thunder
09-29-2005, 02:53 PM
I would think Code Blue Racing would be 100% up to help out by sharing our passion with some that may never get a chance.
I do agree with Bill on this 100% also;
I would do that. Definitely need some rules put in place as far as boating rules and safety etc.... The other things that would concern me is liability issues. But I would definitely be down for this kind of thing.

ELIMINAT THIS
09-29-2005, 02:55 PM
I would be up for this.Way cool way to show the kids there is alot more in life then gangs,drugs and living on welfare and shit. Btw if they are real bad we can send them for a ride with JP (Mark) we can nick name the boat scared strait for the weekend. :)

MOBrien
09-29-2005, 04:35 PM
..............if they are real bad we can send them for a ride with JP (Mark) we can nick name the boat scared strait for the weekend. :)
that's funny right thur :rollside:

shadow
09-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Count me out! the inner city kids aint cutting into my drinking time.
I grew up in the ghetto,and don't wanna look back.

CenCal
09-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Count me out! the inner city kids aint cutting into my drinking time.
I grew up in the ghetto,and don't wanna look back.
Hey check your PM. I grew up in the ghetto and now work with kids. Count me in their our future :2purples: Come on Shadow we can work around the drinking time. I don't plan on missing mine :cool:

Brooski
09-29-2005, 09:05 PM
Definitely count me in! Half the fun of boating and skiing is seeing the smile on someones face the first time they go for a boat ride, ride on a tube, or get up waterskiing. I agree with the rules thing, a little lesson on boat etiquette before we show up would definitely be a plus.

Darrell's Bro
09-30-2005, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the great response so far. With the exception of Shadow all the resposnes have been positive and the ideas thoughtful. I grew up near where Shadow grew up and I don't remember the ghetto being so bad.
The summer camp would be coordinated through my church: The City of Refuge (see link) http://www.noeljonesministries.org/church.html and probably First AME in Los Angeles.
I agree we would need strict rules for both the kids and the boaters. Life jackets for the kids and no alcohol for the boaters. Bear in mind this would only be one day so even Shadow's system should be able to go on the wagon for 24 hours. as a special incentive for Shadow to give up the juice for the day, we'll make sure he gets his boat & face on BET who will be covering the camp.
We would have an umbrella liability insurance policy in place for the entire summer camp so I would make sure it is extended to cover Hot Boaters who donate their time & boats. Each boater may have to be named individually on the policy. I have the same liability concerns regarding the use of my property.
Please keep the ideas flowing and maybe, if someone knows how, they could start a list of Hot Boaters who are interested in giving their time for this camp experience. Also please contact other people who you think might be willing to help the cause.
Thanks for the interest and generous response so far.

a catered life
09-30-2005, 06:08 AM
i would love to help with this.from a guy that was not raised up around boating or water i have a real love for this now........believe it or not there are :jawdrop: not many africian-americans that can afford to do this or their just plain scared to try it.i have always tried to push my friends to spend quaality time with their kids and do the things that they didnt get to do when they were kids....to many kids these days spend their times on the basketball court, playing video games or just hanging around the house..boating and camping are two of the best ways i have found that allows us to be together and be a real family i love the life i live and i encourage more people to try it so i will do what ever to support this cause :wink:
one thing i will always remember is what a ex-friend said to me
"isn't that a white boy thing what the hell are you going to do if you sink" positive attitudes you gotta love'm

shadow
09-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Bear in mind this would only be one day so even Shadow's system should be able to go on the wagon for 24 hours. as a special incentive for Shadow to give up the juice for the day, we'll make sure he gets his boat & face on BET who will be covering the camp.
Thanks for the interest and generous response so far.
No incentives needed for Shadow,Shadow won't be attending.Shadow knowing the time,money,hrs of waxing and maintaining a boat doesn't even like to ask someone for a ride.Let alone come on ***boat and solicit peolpe he doesn't know to use thier boats.Everyone that i know here on ***boat is generous in thier own ways,weather it be donations,charity,lending thier time to the under privilegded,or whatever it may be.But i don't have the cajonies even being a boat owner to come here and ask people to subject thier boat any "fun"day.
Nothing against inner city children,under privileged children,handicapped or anyone else.This is just not me Naci bash was intended for boaters to get away and spend time boating and partying with fellow ***boaters.If it's turning into Good Deed weekend count me out.
Sincierly
Asshole of the crowd. :cool:

riverbound
09-30-2005, 06:28 AM
No incentives needed for Shadow,Shadow won't be attending.Shadow knowing the time,money,hrs of waxing and maintaining a boat doesn't even like to ask someone for a ride.Let alone come on ***boat and solicit peolpe he doesn't know to use thier boats.Everyone that i know here on ***boat is generous in thier own ways,weather it be donations,charity,lending thier time to the under privilegded,or whatever it may be.But i don't have the cajonies even being a boat owner to come here and ask people to subject thier boat any "fun"day.
Nothing against inner city children,under privileged children,handicapped or anyone else.This is just not me Naci bash was intended for boaters to get away and spend time boating and partying with fellow ***boaters.If it's turning into Good Deed weekend count me out.
Sincierly
That is true.....but its only 1 day.
I dont really think you are an asshole shadow ;)

a catered life
09-30-2005, 09:10 AM
so where did you grow up shadow? :confused:

atomickitn
10-01-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks
I actuly do a trip like this every year for an inner city youth group by the name of (bresee) from la,, up at lake don pedro, the kids have such a great time ... I have been doing this for the last four year's, and look forward to the next every time... atk :D

atomickitn
10-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Sincierly
shadow! I dont think you are an asshole, this is just how you feel about this .. I personaly know shadow, would do any thing for any body if asked, he's just that kind of a guy, as for this ,, well this is just the way he feel's , any other thing, or time ..... shadow is a great person, i know I have seen him, and the things he has done for people..... see you soon my friend..atk :wink:

CenCal
10-01-2005, 11:13 AM
shadow! I dont think you are an asshole, this is just how you feel about this .. I personaly know shadow, would do any thing for any body if asked, he's just that kind of a guy, as for this ,, well this is just the way he feel's , any other thing, or time ..... shadow is a great person, i know I have seen him, and the things he has done for people..... see you soon my friend..atk :wink:
I agree Shadow is a great guy and would do for anyone. I respect your feelings on this and hope others do to. Still count me in and i'll leave the girls home :)

jackpunx
10-01-2005, 11:16 AM
I will do that for sure.. I already work with the inner city program as a consultant for free

riverbound
10-01-2005, 11:19 AM
I will do that for sure.. I already work with the inner city program as a consultant for free
And a ride in your boat could scare them straight :frown:

Aquaholic502
10-01-2005, 03:13 PM
I didnt know shadow was an a**hole????
Dale, im in. Hoping we still have the boat at that time though. I agree with the advance notice, need to know asap. Cool we are about to start talking about the next bash....... :2purples:
Al

spectratoad
10-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Depending on schedule, distance etc.....you can probably count me in. :D

WYRD
10-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Sincierly
And peek in on eachother while gettin their freak on huh?
Honestly I aggree with shadow on this one. I think the idea is a great one but I would really hate to see a fellow hot boater get involved in a accident with one of these kids on board. Lots of risks out there to consider.

Phat Matt
10-01-2005, 03:45 PM
I think Shadow likes his stereo and just wants to keep it. :hammer2: :D