PDA

View Full Version : need help with pulling Berkley pump out of boat

kcsteck
09-29-2005, 03:10 PM
I pulled my motor out of boat cause I am going to repaint boat. I have never pulled pump before and figured this was good time to take it out and check it etc,repaint it,maybe add Place divertor etc,(check to see if it has impellor I was told it has). Anything I need to do or worry about and is there directions on how to do so anywhere? 76 Tahiti,Berkley JC Pump . Is it just remove and replace all those bolts I see and a couple cables . Or do I need special tools and all. I can leave the intake in boat right and just seperate there? and since I have it out , if I can get a hold of a Berkely JB or better can it just be bolted to the intake I have on boat or does that need to be changed as well?
sorry about all the noob questions. But I want to do it right and you guys gots to help a new brother out.
Thanks,
Casey

BUSBY
09-29-2005, 04:24 PM
The pump is bolted to the intake ... very easy to take out. Just make sure you get them all out ... especially the two in the rear ...
You'll have to take the transom adaptor off which should be bolted and siliconed on, un hook the forward/reverse cable ... and out she comes!
You should send it in and have it reworked by a pro ... not a noob job first time out.
the intake you can leave in the hull while painting.
Good Luck ...
Brian

BUSBY
09-29-2005, 04:26 PM
And ... you'll get more help in the Just Jets section about this stuff rather than Gear Heads , just FYI ...
Brian

HammerDown
09-29-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm guessing your pump isn't (set back) soooooo with that in mind simply remove the transome adapter from the outside rear of the boat, and yes unbolt the intake. (if) by chance some retard siliconed it together simply use a floor jack under the bowl and it should break free easly.
Now if you want to replace your (c) bowl woth a (G) bowl yes it will bolt up to the suction piece. And the G-Bowl will allow for the addation of wedges,droops etc.
PS anytime I've removedthe suction piece to the Intake all's I do is heavily coat the large gasket and mating surfaces with white grease. It will squish out and make for a water tight seal. And (if) you ever need to pull it apart for what ever reason...it comes apart....easly!

Moneypitt
09-29-2005, 09:22 PM
What hammerdown said.........MP