PDA

View Full Version : Motor goes 9.90 in a car

SWW
07-10-2002, 08:57 PM
hypothetical what can That same motor run in a boat

comin' unscrewed
07-10-2002, 09:02 PM
Need a little more info. What car? Weight? Gear ratio? Tire size? etc.
Jet boat? V-drive? Lenth? Weight? Hull type?

Costello
07-11-2002, 09:10 AM
In addition to what comin unscrewed said, what is the Horsepower and Torque of the engine?

The Raven
07-12-2002, 02:19 PM
The others are correct
But no matter what it is NOT a GOOD switch.
Boat Engines [ motors are an electrical device] are some what like truck engines, You need low and MID range. Your cam most likely won't make HP when needed. In other words To much top end cam, not enough on the low side.
Good luck

lakesmodified
07-12-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by The Raven:
Boat Engines [ motors are an electrical device]
Raven, though you're technically correct, the term "motor" is also used for an engine.. Have you ever heard of "Motors" Manuals? How about the bulletin board on the web-site called "Blower Motors"? Give this guy a break...

Fiat48
07-12-2002, 07:39 PM
Not sure of how this would relate but I used to run 135 with a best of 136.95 with a Pro gas flat back in 1985 to 1988 era. The engine was a 500 inch injected Chevy. When I quit boat racing (the first time), I installed that engine in a 1850 Lb 125" altered roadster chassis and ran 160 mph. So, there is quite a hit from a Flatbottom to a drag car. Right now I run a Blown Alcohol Altered and the motor has run 187 mph with a 7.30 e.t. That engine with no changes at all has now been installed in a Cole Flatbottom. Haven't raced it yet, but it will be interesting how much speed the flatbottom shaves off.

1riverrat
07-12-2002, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Raven:
[B]
Boat Engines [ motors are an electrical device]
mo·tor
n.
Something, such as a machine or an engine, that produces or imparts motion.
A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.
A motor vehicle, especially an automobile
Raven what do you mean by low to mid range power I do not start to make power until after 3000 to 3500 rpm in my boat. It would depend on the drive type as to where the power would need to be made.
[This message has been edited by 1riverrat (edited July 12, 2002).]

The Raven
07-13-2002, 05:52 AM
OK OK the motor thing was a bad joke, sorry
My engines also make power around 3000/3500
Thats what I ment for Mid range. Compaired to cars a Boat needs More low and Mid range as there always under a load. The cams ETC are set up differently for that Range.
Then again most all of you guys Seem to be very knowledgable in this area. I was just adding my 3 cents worth.

djdplacecraft
07-13-2002, 01:20 PM
I also run a cam that does'nt come on until around 4000 rpm and i am running a aa impeller and my pump is extremelly tight i spin mine up to about 6500-7000 it is not a low end cam but being a jet its easy to get to the top side of the cam so i think the motor u are talking about or should i say ENGINE would run great as long as u arent putting it in a 3500 lb sled!

djdplacecraft
07-13-2002, 01:25 PM
By the way Raven did u go to Wyoming Tech by any chance?I have a good buddy that did and when he went there they told him that motors were electrical and engines were gas powered and he used to mess with us about that all the time .