PDA

View Full Version : ILMOR a real stand up company

TimeToBurn
05-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Many of you may be aware of Ilmor's current dilemna. It is unfortunate that Ilmor's reputation is standing on thin ice. I am sure that Ilmor is very concerned. Especially right now, when Ilmor success seems to scream as fast as the motors perform.
However, I would add that this is not the first time a recall has been proposed in the boating industry. For example, Mercury a few years back had to recall a huge number of there 496 motors. The point being, it happens.
In my opinion, what is most respectable, is a company that will stand by its product. Right now, we have an Ilmor representative in our shop fixing the issue.
I give Ilmor, Paul Ray and Ian Hawkins a big thumbs up.
Jake on behalf of Eliminator
http://www.eliminatorboat.com/ForumImages/IMG_0997.jpg

Havasu_Dreamin
05-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Just out of curiosity, what's the price difference between a 525 and an Ilmor?

Reaper1
05-10-2006, 11:16 AM
How a company reacts to problems like this says a lot about them. From what I hear, they are making sure everybody is fixed and back on the water in a timely manner. I don't think anybody is going to throw them under the bus yet. :)

NorCalCat
05-10-2006, 11:44 AM
And how many shops can work on Ilmor's vs. Mercs?

Kilrtoy
05-10-2006, 05:20 PM
What is the problem.......
a small kink is the way I see it and it is not even their fault.
I watched them fix two motors last friday.....

andy01
05-10-2006, 06:33 PM
I will also add that I spoke to Scott Conrad at Specre Power Boats/SC Performance early last week and they to had a problem with one motor. They also had the owner (not sure who he said) of Ilmor stop in and pay him a visit. The owner was on his way out of town and called Scott to see if he had five minutes. He just wanted to stop in and make sure Scott was awair that everything was in place once again and he would promply be taken care of. I think Ilmor is doing a stand up job of damage control and showing they have what it takes to makes sure the customer and boat builder is well taken care of.
Andy

blown dough
05-10-2006, 10:31 PM
our dcb will be ready friday, ilmore stepped up for us! 32' rocks, go charley

Kilrtoy
05-10-2006, 10:51 PM
our dcb will be ready friday, ilmore stepped up for us! 32' rocks, go charley
Don't tell me you look up to charley, Cuz that would make you really short :rollside:

viperized
05-11-2006, 12:54 AM
The ilmor is excellent. 23 hours and have not even used one quart of oil. Go Ilmor :crossx:

Havasu_Dreamin
05-11-2006, 06:51 AM
Anyone, anyone.....Just curious that's all. Not meant to slam Merc OR Ilmor.....

dicudmore
05-11-2006, 07:25 AM
Anyone, anyone.....Just curious that's all. Not meant to slam Merc OR Ilmor.....
Scott I think the answer is approx 15K

NorCalCat
05-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Scott I think the answer is approx 15K
What about working on them. I heard there are few guys that are trained to work on these motors?
True/False

Three Days Only
05-11-2006, 12:45 PM
This is how it works.
Illmor...................What can we do to help you Mr. Customer. We stand behind our product and will take the neccesary steps to help you get back out and enjoy your boat.
Mercury...............Let me see if this is under warranty. I will get back to you in about 4 months after the summer is over!!!
Mercury's answer explains two Teague 800EFI's in my boat - I was 12 days out of warranty!!!!! HP500EFI's 68 Hours each approx.

steet
05-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Been there, Done that. You can not compare Merc to Ilmor, they are not in the same class. I have had many mercury products, while mostly satisfied, had several warranty problems. Bought Ilmors and have been extremely satisfied. I have only had one problem and they bent over backwards to insure that I was taken care of. As viperized said, I have about 60 hrs on my 625's and changed the oil at 50hrs and never added a quart prior. I always added at least a quart every 3 or 4 hrs on my 500's. Not knocking merc, but Ilmor is here to stay and we have about 4 boats in my area that have Ilmors and 2 places to have them serviced. I am not concerned about warranty work as they will come to you. No questions asked.

Dave C
05-12-2006, 07:57 AM
I love this f-ing board... this place is great.
Raylar has a heating treating problem with a parts vendor and they get crucified.
Ilmor has a heating treating problem with a parts vendor and they get the benefit of the doubt.
Both companies stand behind their product.
sounds like a double standard to me. ;)

TUNNEL T
05-15-2006, 04:37 PM
This is how it works.
Illmor...................What can we do to help you Mr. Customer. We stand behind our product and will take the neccesary steps to help you get back out and enjoy your boat.
Mercury...............Let me see if this is under warranty. I will get back to you in about 4 months after the summer is over!!!
Mercury's answer explains two Teague 800EFI's in my boat - I was 12 days out of warranty!!!!! HP500EFI's 68 Hours each approx.
AINT THAT THE TRUTH !!!!!! last summer wasted waiting on mercs answer ! still same result two months later! NO

Kilrtoy
05-15-2006, 05:09 PM
I love this f-ing board... this place is great.
Raylar has a heating treating problem with a parts vendor and they get crucified.
Ilmor has a heating treating problem with a parts vendor and they get the benefit of the doubt.
Both companies stand behind their product.
sounds like a double standard to me. ;)
You are comparing apples to oranges.....
The vipers are complete motors and sold as such...
Raylar is an aftermarket product you add to an existing engine

redneckcharlie
05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
whats the difference in a bad part, regardless if its a complete package or partial package? :)

blown65
05-15-2006, 05:57 PM
whats the difference in a bad part, regardless if its a complete package or partial package? :)
ditto

Kilrtoy
05-15-2006, 06:24 PM
If I have to explain it to you I guess you wouldnt understand anyways....

redneckcharlie
05-15-2006, 06:29 PM
well i guess that makes me an idiot. and there is no difference in a supply side failure! :yuk:

Kilrtoy
05-15-2006, 06:32 PM
well i guess that makes me an idiot. and there is no difference in a supply side failure! :yuk:
Don't be so hard on yourself, I did not call you an idiot....

INSman
05-15-2006, 10:19 PM
The Ilmor folks have A LOT of money behind them and would feel very comfortable in saying that they will be around for a long time :)

GLWBEAR
05-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Many of you know that I was a past Mercury Dealer 1958-1981. I recently had Dave build me another DCB Mach 29 with Ilmor 625's. Ilmor stands behind there products and Mercury only wants to see how they can get out of fixing a problem they knew existed when they sold you the motor. Ilmor will bend over backwards to help you and Mercury makes excuses. I've got about 30 hours on my Ilmors and I had one bad ECU and they sent all the parts and it was fixed pronto. I know a lot of you guys are feeling the pinch, but hang in there as I feel Ilmor will fix everything and you'll be running again in a short period of time.
Ilmor wants to stay in the Marine business and they have seen and heard all the nightmare stories from Mercury customers and are trying to avoid this at all costs.
My hats off to the Guys at Ilmor.
Gary Williams
Lake Keowee, SC :cool:

Raylar
05-16-2006, 07:03 AM
As a small aftermarket and engine company I can personally tell you its very hard to build perfect parts and motors. You can also almost always know that cutomers, especially high performance boat customers like their products perfect. The truth is we live in an imperfect world, especially when it comes to the complexities and difficulties of building high performance marine engines and parts. I can tell you from watching Ilmor, their people, products and operations they are a real Credit to this industry and to their customers. They build a magnificent well engineered product and they stand behind their name and products. In todays world of Enrons, WorldComs, and countless other bulls$%T companies they are a real breath of fresh air. Just keep in mind guys that all most all of the marine high performance engine, parts and boat builders put their life, soul and sweat into making the best pieces they can, we just are not always PERFECT, just close as we can be hopefully like ILMOR!
Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

JMC
05-16-2006, 07:34 AM
I see no difference. When it comes to tempering, cryo treating etc. No one knows the exact properties of the steel before before the process begins. No matter if its a vertical drive shaft ,valve spring or even a roller tappet. A bad part is a bad part, nothing fun about that whether a complete engine or a performance kit.

Dave C
05-16-2006, 08:09 AM
parts is parts.
it doesn't matter because whether its a complete motor or not, one stupid broken part renders both, no workie ;)
both parts failed as a result of bad heat treating then both companies stand behind their product. (as it should be).
actually its worse that it happened in the "high dollar turn key" viper motor. Those are supposed to be "reliable motor alternatives" ;)
You are comparing apples to oranges.....
The vipers are complete motors and sold as such...
Raylar is an aftermarket product you add to an existing engine